Sign in to follow this  
dks

50192 Boy Campers (Cub Scout & Boy Scouts)

I painted the group of three "Boy Campers" (Chronoscope) as a commission for Cheryl Storm (Ladystorm here on the forum). Her husband is the Scoutmaster of the local Boy Scout troop, and their son was a Cub Scout and is now a Boy Scout.

The saluting "camper" is the tallest of the three, and he's saluting with three fingers (a Boy Scout salute) in the stock figure, but Cheryl asked for him to be a Cub Scout so I converted the salute to be two-fingered, proper for a Cub Scout. Their uniforms and badges match the current standards. The Boy Scouts (glancing sideways) look a little worried about their situation, but the Cub Scout is clearly unfazed and ready to do his best.

I put the three figures together on a 40mm base, sculpted some rocks (plus a little amphibian/reptilian critter and some small mushrooms), and added some etched-brass foliage and static grass.

Enjoy,

Derek

post-2358-13110423209186_thumb.jpg

post-2358-13110423325398_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

those are nice, Derek

You can easily pick out the various "factions" with the way you painted the unis.

Also great expressions as well.

RM

Wolf hat and Wolf scarf, but he has a Bear badge on (so the hat and scarf should probably be blue).

But, awesome job. I have been considering doing something similar myself (but to nowhere near your level of awesomeness). Very cool, and great job matching the colors on everything.

Very nice little scene there, Derek. Nice paint job, sculpted additions, basing, everything.

What I'm most interested in, though, is how you leave the slot bases attached for painting. How do you remove them later without damaging the minis? Do you pin their feet when you're done? Do you always use heavy paper clips like that to hold your minis while painting them? How do you hold non-slot minis with brocolli bases, and do you remove those before you start?

Wolf hat and Wolf scarf, but he has a Bear badge on (so the hat and scarf should probably be blue.

we chose to take the artistic license. The Cub IMO looked better with the yellow/gold than the pale blue.

I love how the shoulder patches match up to our local Council's patch as well.

The detail on this one just amazes me. :wub:

Awesome work, the details are amazing! Also I love the little salamander and foliage on the base, great stuff!

@haldir: Thanks. Coming soon: Scouts army list for Warlord. :;):

@sethohman: Good eye for detail! See what Ladystorm said. In the photo of the separate figures, I hadn't added the trim on the neckerchiefs yet, since I wanted the confirm the colors with her first.

@MamaGeek: The binder clips give me something to grip, and they stand on their own (if the figure itself isn't unbalanced), but the small tapered shape still lets me paint the feet/legs from all angles, unlike a paint-bottle or something big. First I cut off (with flush-cutters) any part of the tab that sticks out to the sides, then I fit the figure into the binder clip and paint it. Sometimes I build the base around the tab; with these scouts, however, I cut the middle of the tabs away so I was left with a "pin"-stub under each foot. Then I painted the base, drilled holes for the "pins", glued/puttied the figures into place, and touched up the paint around their feet.

With integral/broccoli bases, I always put them on a larger base eventually. I choose one of these approaches before I paint:

1) attach the figure to the larger base, and just paint it there.

2) chop and bend the integral base to make a tablike portion stick downward, which I can then fit into the binder clip.

3) cut away most of the integral base, set pins into the feet, and use a binder clip on the pins.

@Anne: I should thank Michael Proctor for his suggestion of adding an "Easter egg" (non-obvious detail) to every scenic base.

Derek

• Like 1

If you want a neckerchief and hat that matches the Cub Scouts badges, you could go to the Webelo version. (Webelos can wear either the blue Cub Scout uniform or the khaki Boy Scout uniform). Of course, you'd have to paint plaid, but I can't see how that could be a problem. cool.gif

Thanks for showing these off. They're brilliantly done -- and regrettably* inspiring. Now you have me thinking about a diorama.

* "Regrettably", because I have an absurd number of other incomplete projects about. The last thing I need is yet another one. blink.gif

If you want a neckerchief and hat that matches the Cub Scouts badges, you could go to the Webelos version. (Webelos can wear either the blue Cub Scout uniform or the khaki Boy Scout uniform)

I briefly considered requesting plaid Webelos items, however, I decided I wanted the yellow. It fit the more overall Cub Scout blue & gold scheme and while not perfectly accurate it gave me the feel of our time in Cubs that I was looking for.

I have no doubt Derek would have wowed us with the plaid, it just wasn't what I wanted most.

I'm a den leader and love these. The yellow neckerchief is so iconic to the Cub Scouts that it doesn't detract from the fact the cub is almost in Boy Scouts. These make me want to attempt these with a Norman Rockwell colors and style.

Beautiful color and shading work. Can't quite pick on the badges and insignia, though; I was never a scout...