Lesson plan

Hi everyone here is my lesson plan!

Heads : 14/20 made.

hands : 0/20 pairs.

Textures : bunch and bunch of them

Weapons : must learn it!!!

Full sculpt: male 0/10

female 0/10

(must make a lot of progress before starting.)

I've put a time limit for everything done before xmas.

now my problem! Eyes!!!!! how te F I sculpt them! I am trying Gene technique and I just fail and Fail again!

On the 14 heads I made so far 0 of them have good looking eyes. I do the needle thing then the first lozenge and then bam eyes looks bad and lost my cheek bones.

hope somebody got a visual of a technique I can use to correct that problem.

post-4188-13118726261567_thumb.jpg

post-4188-13118726499408.png

post-4188-13118726995488_thumb.jpg

I can't seem to keep a symetry either.

Krikey!! I can't offer sculpting tips, but I will give you the same encouragement I gave to Tre Manor some years back.

You're on the right track!! Keep going!!! H'ya!! :rolleyes:

That's a very ambitious lesson plan Simon. If you stick with it, I'm sure you'll get there. :poke:

I think the heads in your post look good. Did you sculpt them in procreate? I've never sculpted a head in procreate, so I can't give you any pointers there. If this was greenstuff I'd tell you to mix it and then let it sit for 20 minutes before ever putting it on your armature. When you let greenstuff setup it loses some of its memory and it becomes easier to work with. The other thing is that this technique requires a VERY VERY delicate touch. You want to put the lines in VERY lightly. Once you have the eyes in you need to go back and touch up all the areas you've sculpted before. It's not like clay where you can just sculpt it once and it stays put, you have to keep going back over everything until the putty becomes too stiff to work. To get symmetry in you sculpts, you need to CONSTANTLY rotate your figure and work on it from every angle. It's called working in the round.

Hope that helps,

Gene

Head 15: I've made it like a jedi use the force ( ;) at Gene)

post-4188-13119929339207_thumb.jpg

post-4188-13119928915835_thumb.jpg

I've made one of my best face tonight.

Procreate is just like GS let it sit for 20 min and it become easyer to sculpt with, take more time and it is even better. 30 min has been a charm for me.

I've made one of my best face tonight.

That's a GREAT face Simon! See, all it takes is a little patience and a lot of practice. ::D: (A little Jedi mind sculpting never hurts either) ^_^

Gene

I am going to work a little more on the next one. I need to polish it more here and there, smooth it, perfect the eyes and enlarge the mouth a little. Once I can do that I'll be able to start sculpting real faces like a pro ;)

I think that once the faces are mastered the other part will be easier to make. Ok I've not sculpter chainmail and other texture but I'll have to ;)

Next step after 5 more heads, Hands ! I fear those will be hard.

This part of this tutorial I found a while back might be helpful for you. It shows how he first roughly sculpts the hands around the things they're holding and then builds them up. Empty hands are probably a bit harder. Gene gave me some good advice about how to sculpt eyes in the thread I started called Sculpting Weapons. On the note of sculpting eyes: I really like how Bob Ridolfi does eyes and faces. I'd like to know how he does eyes if it isn't too much trouble. I particularly like his Savage Worlds/Deadlands work.

Hi Moon, how does Bob Ridolfi make faces? This week I have 2 main task: Sculpt and write my pdf for my game. I've canged the scale of my miniature range to 35mm, I didn't see a lot of miniature of that scale yet.

I'll still practice for 30mm tho ;) Yeah I'm getting my own game out next week. I got to finish the english core rules and translate it in french. The core rule book will not have many pages, because I don't include the setting in it. But that's not part of my lesson plan. 4 heads to go and still not satisfied.

For the hands, I have problem with open hands so that is what I'm going to concentrate on. Going to sculpt 2 heads now, and going to tink about my Introduction to the file for my game.

Have a nice day all!!!

Update: I did 4 faces todays... passing to other part of my lesson plan but going to continue faces. I'm not satisfied with them.

@SimVail

From head 3 to head 20. Not constant not satisfied and I am going to do 100 before this fall. But next steps hands!

Here are the pictures!

post-4188-13122497919254_thumb.jpgpost-4188-13122498061276_thumb.jpg

post-4188-13122498290253_thumb.jpgpost-4188-13122498396195_thumb.jpg

post-4188-13122498482473_thumb.jpgpost-4188-13122498637403_thumb.jpg

post-4188-13122498751988_thumb.jpgpost-4188-13122498870722_thumb.jpg

post-4188-13122498984188_thumb.jpgpost-4188-13122499093587_thumb.jpg

post-4188-13122499224042_thumb.jpgpost-4188-13122499391177_thumb.jpg

post-4188-1312249951041_thumb.jpgpost-4188-13122499648107_thumb.jpg

post-4188-13122499754717_thumb.jpg

I'm really not proud of he 2 last... I need to do something else so I'll do 20 pairs of hands, 10 open and 10 closed. Each 3 pairs I'll make an other head.

I'm hard on myself I know.

I'm in fury!!! Not in a good way, I just can't think about anything else than the eyes!!! Those damned eyes!!!!!! I am thinking about making a pillar of eyes!!! Yeah I hate not being able to make them it's the only thing that make my face ugly to a point I don't like them. I really need to get this fixed. I just can't sculpt hands. I'm going to make 10 more heads after being able to do one good pair of eyes!

Now to the writting of the magic chapter!

I'm proud to say that I nailed Gene's techique because I found a tool to do it. Now I did 2 faces with good looking eyes. I'll make 8 more to master it and then make some more to refine my faces!

I need to make them good to give them soul and after that textures ! I'll start with ears and hair... I wonder why ;)

pictures to come!

I'm proud to say that I nailed Gene's techique because I found a tool to do it. Now I did 2 faces with good looking eyes. I'll make 8 more to master it and then make some more to refine my faces!

I need to make them good to give them soul and after that textures ! I'll start with ears and hair... I wonder why ;)

pictures to come!

Pictures !!!!! Sorry for the poor quality pictures.

post-4188-13128079035247_thumb.jpg

post-4188-1312808023809_thumb.jpg