03264: Roderic Ambermead and Glitter, Halfling on Dragon

TaleSpinner

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hours 3 and 3.5 (Would have been four if I didn't get interrupted three times for work questions.):

post-140-1316574567251.jpg

post-140-1316574567966.jpg

First, I painted the eyes:

Base: Brown Liner

H1: Forest Green

H2: Forest Green/Grass Green

H3: Grass Green

H4: Grass Green/Jade Green

H5: Jade Gree

Pupil: Pure Black

Light reflection dot: Pure White

Then I painted him a combo of 3 Buckskin Pale/2 Fire Orange, which was supposed to be my 70% highlight base coat for doing OlieKickFlip's method. I couldn't do it. When I went to start painting today, I lost my vision of the mini. I just couldn't see my usual vision from that starting point and I was lost. I then realized that I like the way I paint and went back to doing it my way, so I base coated it in 3 very thin coats of Chestnut Brown and then glazed it in Brown Liner. This old dog's not learning any new tricks, today at least. I've got enough new stuff to worry about with the sculpting. I don't need to stress out over painting at this time. :rolleyes:

Oh, by the way, I'm using an old and a new penny for reference for getting the coppery tones right. I'm NOT doing this NMM because I don't see dragons as truly being metallic, but merely suggesting such. It is that suggestion I am gong for.

Andy

Hour 5:

post-140-13166589089905.jpg

post-140-131665890984.jpg

Base coated the wings and belly scales in Leather Brown, the Leather Straps in Muddy Brown, the brooch in Chestnut Gold, and the horns and claws in Blackened Brown (though now I see that I missed the wing claws).

I will commence highlighting something tomorrow.

Andy

Hours 6 and 7:

post-140-13170908114691.jpg

post-140-13170908125251.jpg

These hours I highlighted the skin as follows:

H1: Chestnut Brown/Rust Brown

H2: Rust Brown

H3: 2 Rust Brown/1 Chestnut Gold

H4: 1 Rust Brown/2 Chestnut Gold

H5: Chestnut Gold

H6: Chestnut Gold/Palomino Gold

H7: Palomino Gold

Glaze: Rust Brown (To blend)

The skin is pretty much done though I think the shoulders are over highlighted and need a bit of work and the head could use another layer to make the face pop. I'll wait on that though until I get the wings and breast scales done so I can adjust the model as a whole.

I finished up the hour today with about 6 light glaze coats of Jungle Moss on the wings, focusing on the green being darker closer to the body. This will form the underlay for the very golden wings.

Have a good day,

Andy

Hours 8 and 9:

post-140-13172655609033.jpg

post-140-13172655616422.jpg

post-140-13172655623383.jpg

This hour, I highlighted the wings, belly scales, and got halfway done on the horns and claws. The colors are as follows:

Wings:

H1: Tanned Leather

H1 (Green): Highlands Moss

H2: Amber Gold

H3: Golden Blond

H4: Golden Blond/Pure White

I know that doesn't sound like a lot of shades for such a large area, but I did a bit of wet blending on the wings.

Belly Scales:

Wash: Field Grey HD*

H1: Tanned Leather

H2: Amber Gold

H3: Golden Blond

H4: Golden Blond/Pure White

Horns and claws (Not Done):

H1: 3 Blackened Brown/1 Intense Brown

H2: 1 Blackened Brown/3 Intense Brown

H3: Intense Brown

*I got both sets of MSP HD paints in the mail today. I am so excited. I decided to try them out as a wash on the belly scales. The Field Grey (very green) did not work well as a wash. No matter how much flow improver I added, it still left bathtub rings. I had to touch up a lot. I'm not sure why this would be. Maybe the extra pigment makes them not wash well. I can't wait to try them on a base coat. The colors in the sets are outstanding.

Well, that's all for tonight. Have a great day,

Andy

Very nice! Glad you've chosen this figure.

I like those wings and the rich coppery-red scale color, and the gold and green accents.

You might consider putting more red/orange on Roderic himself, to tie him in more strongly with the color of the dragon -- maybe glazing into the shadows of his tabard, maybe some freehand (edging or a symbol), maybe the centers of his cloak-fasteners, maybe glazing the hair to more of an auburn. But decisions like that can wait until you test-fit the pieces together and are looking at the composition as a whole.

Keep it up!

Derek