Sign in to follow this  
TaleSpinner

Green Orcs?

In the D&D 1e Monster Manual one of the skintones Orcs could have was "Olive green." I painted a lot of my early orcs olive drab in fact...

Damon.

To this day, I do olive drab for my orcs.

The purple/grey tone really came back when Dungeons and Dragons hit their third edition. I don't know what they're doing now.

I think I'll have to just buy more Orcs and Goblins and paint different groups in different colors. Even green. MamaGeek makes it look so good.

My theory is that orcs are green for many people because orcs are very much like the Grinch...who has been green since 1966 (though in the book he was a black-and-white line drawing with limited hues of grey, as most Dr Seusse books were.)

Here is my OFFICIAL answer to what colour orcs and goblinoids are supposed to be.

RainbowGoblins.jpg

I am a huge geek, and hopefully none of you will judge me too harshly because of it. After this thread started it piqued my curiosity, and I went back through the old books to see what I could dig up.

1st ED Monster Manual:

Description: Goblins range from yellow through dull orange to brick red in

skin color. Their eyes are reddish to lemon yellow.

Description: Orcs appear particularly disgusting because their coloration

- brown or brownish green with a bluish sheen - highlights their pinkish

snouts and ears. Their bristly hair is dark brown or black,

2nd Edition Monsterous Compendium:

Description: (goblins)Their skin colors range from yellow through any shade of orange

to a deep red.Usually a tribe has members of all about the same color.

Description: Orcs vary widely in appearance, as they frequently crossbreed with other

species. In general, they resemble primitive humans with grey-green skin covered with

coarse hair.

• Like 1

Uhoh....he's found out about the snouts.

Yeah, it's true. Some orcs are a bit piggy-faced. Mind you that's not ALL orcs...just some of 'em. They are easily identified by their piggy-faces and by other orcs picking on 'em all the time.

I, for one, think they're uniquiely kewt.

What the books DON'T want you to know about is their adorable li'l curly tails. They usually keep those hid under their armour or perhaps a nice stylish (in a 1980s sort of way) pair of loud-coloured parachute pants.

You say chlorophyll jokingly (I imagine) but I think GW did actually says something like "they photosynthesise" whilst not munching on human flesh...

I vary my painting of orcs tbh. Sometimes green looks good but a lot of the time dirty grey looks the best imo. And yeah, tolkien did always go on about their colour in the books as being a sorta darkish-greyish browny colour. (Like burned toast, except not toast. More.... Orcy.) In fact, on the topic, goblins were a reddish, browny colour in the early poems and fiction also, now everyone except them as greenies to. Racist I say....

Yeah, it's true. Some orcs are a bit piggy-faced. Mind you that's not ALL orcs...just some of 'em. They are easily identified by their piggy-faces and by other orcs picking on 'em all the time.

Yeah, tis a good point. When I played D&D I thought it would be amusing to play a half-orc paladin, with long, dark flowing hair, well-kept canines, a well picked nose without a bogey in sight! Oh, those were the days!

smiley-rpg003.gif

Hmm..much as I love painting green skin, that muddy brownish color sounds appealing. It might be fun to play around with colors like that. Well, maybe someday. There are too many humans and elves on my shelf at the moment, plus another definite greenskin (wood elf king). One, day, though...one day.

I'm thinking that there needs to be a painting challenge for different Orc\goblin color schemes.

That'd be kind of interesting. A nonhuman skin tone challenge?

First actual orc I ever saw was in the Brothers' Hildebrandt Lord of the Rings calendar -- one of them -- back in the seventies. They were snout faced, and done in a variety of greens and browns... although by today's standards, they'd seem kind of Disneyish.

Ya, make it a "Do something new to you" skin tone challenge. If someone has never tried green, then it's fair game, the rule should be to try a non-human skin tone that you've never done.

I'm surprised no one mentioned that Warcraft 2 featured green orcs. Probably the rest of the series too, but I only played that one. Not a point of origin by any means, more of a reinforcement point.

I've seen a lot of excellent minis that incorporated human fleshtones into the highlighting, and it really made them look more real.

I'm surprised no one mentioned that Warcraft 2 featured green orcs. Probably the rest of the series too, but I only played that one. Not a point of origin by any means, more of a reinforcement point.

I've seen a lot of excellent minis that incorporated human fleshtones into the highlighting, and it really made them look more real.

Warcraft 1 all the way up to World of Warcraft now has green orcs yep. Originally ripped from Warhammer, though they've diverged character wise a lot. Probably why I am a big fan of green orcs as well, though prefer the more olive drab kind of green, over the more neon green.