Musings on Female Models

Beowulfthehunter

The guys at my LGS had to give me some grief this week, when I picked up the new Chad Hoverton Cow Girl Sculpt (I really like his style, I want to see more BTW). The thing they ribbed me about is the fact I always pick up the newest female models and am always painting scantily clad figures. The thing is I only do that because they tend to sell better on Ebay. If it was up to me I would be painting heavily muscled and or armored male fighter types. So that leads me to me question after that long winded openening.

Why do female models sell better? Also are female models the top sellers from Reaper? Post your musings.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys like looking at sexy chicks?

For myself, I think a lot of the female models are very pretty, the male figures tend more toward the rough and brawny and are less aesthetically pleasing. I seldom see a male figure and think "Wow that is a really amazing sculpt."

Guys like looking at sexy chicks?

We have the winning answer. In all seriousness the female models tend to look sharper and a touch more realistic. The male models I find tend to suffer from an affliction I call He-Man itis. They have overly exagerated muscles that fit the action hero stereotype but are less pleasing to look at.

Plus when you have had one to many do you really want to brag about how much time you just spent painting the skin on a guy? Or a sexy succubus.

In all seriousness the female models tend to look sharper and a touch more realistic. The male models I find tend to suffer from an affliction I call He-Man itis.

Agreed that sometimes male models have over done musculature, but I don't know that the female ones look more realistic on average. They often have 'tiny waist, giant boobs' syndrome.

Well, I knew early on that miniatures were going to be a habit, and if I was going to collect them, I would have to have a focus, or it would get totally out of hand. So I started collecting chicks with swords - actually, weapons of any sort - because that's my fantasy of myself. I narrowed it even further and made it Werner Klocke chicks with swords, and well...it still got totally out of hand. But I still tend to collect female figures, probably because I'm a woman, too. I can only paint so much armor and flexed thews. Then I want to paint something pretty. ;-)

This topic could be someone's doctoral dissertation!!

My girlfriend has just begun painting. The first model she painted is a blade dancing female from Reaper, as it was something she could identify with.

Second model? A Grenadier/Mirliton male Cyclops Berserker!!!!

She told me she didn't want to fall into a single genre of model. :rolleyes:

Paint what makes you happy, and you'll find it can bring others enjoyment too, in seeing your work and supporting your efforts, in seeing a painted model for a game their playing, or just art for art's sake.

Agreed that sometimes male models have over done musculature, but I don't know that the female ones look more realistic on average. They often have 'tiny waist, giant boobs' syndrome.

Point to Jen. They do have over inflated assets and small waists but it still appears better and just a little exaggerated as opposed to the male models that make Arnold from Conan look like a toddler.

Plus as has been said women are just prettier than guys.

I tend to paint female figures, mainly because my characters are usually female and when I'm looking at minis I will see one and imagine a backstory for my next character. I buy alot of dwarves too for the same reason. I usually can imagine a good personality for a dwarf mini just by the scuplt. Now on ebay I'm sure it is for the reasons everyone is stating boobs sell.

I would like to see more younger effeminate men as we seem to have a lot of:

1. Old-man wizards

2. Conan and platemail beefcakes

Shad Coalshadow is a great example of what I'd like to see more of from Reaper. The trend these days (dare I say it?) is younger, animeish stylized characters vs Hellenic stylized Conan types. I say animeish because I don't think most folks want it to look too much like anime, but they do want the fantasy flawlessness in their characters. Also, it's refreshing to see us getting old ladies instead of every female model being young and attractive!

Personally I'm more fond of the reasonably-dressed and proportioned figures, both male and female. I am hoping Reaper gives us a new cowgirl fig with a shotgun and cowboy hat who doesn't have giant boobs hanging out. I need one for Rose of Sharon Cassidy in my Fallout RPG game!