Musings on Female Models

Beowulfthehunter

They're called boobs :lol: Seriously I tend to agree, the female figures for the most part are just sculpted better.

Some of us are 'Brazillian' in our tastes in women, and let's face it, some sculptors do the glutes very nicely. :wub: You may as well ask about 'combat stilettos' while you're at it.

To go deeper than that, there is a lot more variety to be had when sculpting/painting female minis from a fashion standpoint, and sculptors like to go a little more nuts with the accesories and just oddball-ness. Take Lylyth (Hordes, pic link here). She is ungodly with a bow, despite the fact she has a helm with no visible eyeslits (covered in the rules) and a solid D cup (not), all the while prancing around in all sorts of terrain in heels, a cape, and some seriously cool armor. And it,s not just her, she just comes to mind cuz I've been playing her lately.

Speaking of armor, sculptors tend to get very creative with armor for females, and it usually ends up being really cool and with a bit more stylized than the assembly_line approach used forging armor for the masses of male warriors (those who actually do go to armor in more than a loincloth and a scowl.) and let's face it, a male model trying to pull a Hannah Blackruby pose is going to get laughed at.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, I play Everblight, so almost all our warlock models are female as well as the majority of solos... In other words, the models you a: really want to use and b: really stand out. To be fair, the blight has created a few interesting mutations along the way. But it is entirely possible (and probable) thatI will be fielding an all-female warrior force in the near future (+warbeasts of course). Then again, Skorne has a similar trend of female solos. (there's a running joke with WMH that a lot of soldiers get an instant sex change during field promotions.)

I mostly play Warhammer, but also D&D etc and tend towards female characters/models/heroes for my army for one main reason(other than the models are pretty and generally nicer to paint than guys) which is that, in Warhammer anyway, females tend to be massively under represented in any of the armies, take my current army(Vampire Counts) for example we have 5 special characters in the book (well, 4 but Mannfred is in twice so I'm counting him as 2 separate)and only one of them is female, she also never gets used since she abysmally poor in game and the model is so old it may as well be cast out of bronze.

Even armies which are described as being multigender like the High/Dark/Wood Elves have maybe 1 in 20 female models, scary looking Witch Elves aside, so I tend towards female heroes/lords to make it feel a little more balanced in a very male orientated game.

just my two cents.

^If you haven't already, I recommend the Chronicles of Malus Darkblade- most of the truly scary druchii are the women. At one point Malus jokes with a sister about her "fashionably poisoned blades".

[/derail]

Myself, for reasons discussed in the thread, thought the 6th ed witch elves were cool minis as well as being downright scary to anything without the word "Knight" in its name. In a game against a zombie-heavy list, dude charged my big box of 25 witches from 3 sides. After combat res, they overran. To be fair, in 6th ed zombies truly sucked.

^If you haven't already, I recommend the Chronicles of Malus Darkblade- most of the truly scary druchii are the women. At one point Malus jokes with a sister about her "fashionably poisoned blades".

[/derail]

Myself, for reasons discussed in the thread, thought the 6th ed witch elves were cool minis as well as being downright scary to anything without the word "Knight" in its name. In a game against a zombie-heavy list, dude charged my big box of 25 witches from 3 sides. After combat res, they overran. To be fair, in 6th ed zombies truly sucked.

And still do. I mean they're not even worth raising anymore. And nobody likes Witch Elves in any edition. Swings and roundabouts though since Ghouls got to be amazing in 7th.

I bet Reaper's Warlord game has more female sculpts in the armies as grunts and/or leaders than any other fantasy skirmish game.

Well, Anima Tactics could definitely give it a run for its money.

I don't know if Anima Tactics has the same squad setup, but yes, they have a lot of female models. I was pleasantly surprised to see female sculpts in the grunts of Taltos. That was pretty novel. Before Warlord, most squad based skirmish games had female troops in separate squads only. Talk about women's liberation!

The cool thing about the Savage North book is it features an all-female army list for the Sisters of the Blade which, in fact, has lots of female grunt troop types. I don't think Anima Tactics has a dedicated female faction although I'm sure that, like Everblight, you could stack a force specifically that way.

As many of you have already guessed, I prefer sculpting female figures because of several reasons. Many of those reasons include aesthetics but it is also much more challenging to get female anatomy and faces "just right". I'm still in the "hit or miss" department but female anatomy is the most captivating subject for me to sculpt. All of my WoW characters were female since I would be looking at their backsides for hours at a time. However, I find it uncomfortable to RPG female characters, like in Pathfinder, can't seem to get the voice right. I guess I would rather look at them than emulate them . . .

"It rubs the lotion on it's skin or it gets the hose again!"

::):

The cool thing about the Savage North book is it features an all-female army list for the Sisters of the Blade which, in fact, has lots of female grunt troop types. I don't think Anima Tactics has a dedicated female faction although I'm sure that, like Everblight, you could stack a force specifically that way.

Well, not in the gaming material, although the fluff mentions the Selene Order, an organisation of all-female assassins. But yeah, you can stack your force to be all-female.