Sign in to follow this  
gwangi32

John Carter, Warlord of Mars

At a couple movies I attended there has been a previews for a new movie about John Carter, Warlord of Mars. Also, IDW comics has three series out about Barsoom. It has been nearly 100 years since ERB had "Under the Moons of Mars" appear and this character is still popular. I have been a long time fan of ERBs Barsoom series. That and the Inner World series were far more interesting to me than the Tarzan books. I remember some references to White Apes and Green Men in the first D&D wandering monster lists but very little in a role playing game for the planetary science fantasy milieu. In fact, all I am aware of are a couple articles in Dungeon/Polyhedron actually used the setting developed for d20. Are there others that match up with the style of Barsoom?

There is always that Chronoscope mini. I can't recall the name but it fits quite well.

Looking forward to that film, while I never was a big JC fan. I like the genre + I like seeing those kind of movies on the big screen.

RM

I believe the original question actually goes to whether there are good RPG systems for John Carter type games. I would just do a Google search for John Cart RPG. There are actual game systems for this, as well as lots of people recommending the systems they use.

Cool, thanks for the input. I know there was a boardgame years ago and I found my Iron Lords of Jupiter articles so I am on the track. The d20 approach is simple and as a bonus I found my Dinosaurs and Cadillacs RPG while I was digging around through my stored gaming stuff. I'll follow up with the suggested searches and any other input that comes in to see what looks worth while. I am very inspired by Joe Jusko's cover art to look into running a game in the "Barsoom" style.

Is the Warlord of Mars stuff still even under copyright? I know the Burroughs estate is pretty litigious about Tarzan, but the Mars stuff predates it...

Wonder how that would affect the likenesses of the Martian creatures and such? Particularly with a movie in the works...ik_devil.gif

I picked up and read the first couple of the Martian books free in kindle format a while back, they are indeed in public domain.

Disney is producing Warlord of Mars so maybe they bought all the ERB subject matter when they went for Tarzan.

Most of Disney's biggest sellers are PD: Cinderella, Beauty & the Beast, Little Mermaid, Peter Pan & Tinkerbell, etc. On account of they were almost all created so long ago.

I believe the original question actually goes to whether there are good RPG systems for John Carter type games.

There are quite a few choices. Adament's "Mars" has already been mentioned. For folks who like Savage Worlds there is [a href="http://www.savagebarsoom.com]a blog featuring a playable set of homebrewed rules.[/a] Skirmisher Publisher has [a href="http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=2132&products_id=51403]"Edgar Rice Burroughs' Mars: Shadow of a Dying Planet"[/a] for D20. For those, like me, who embrace the OSR, there is the upcoming [a href=http://warriorsoftheredplanet.blogspot.com/]"Warriors of the Red Planet."[/a] for players of OD&D/AD&D and associated retro-clones.

With the John Carter movie coming out in a couple of months, I'd think that more game companies would want to jump on the Sword & Planet bandwagon. I'd certainly like to see Reaper's treatment of Barsoom.