Sign in to follow this  
gwangi32

John Carter, Warlord of Mars

I can't wait to see what Reaper puts out for this genre. In the mean time, a company called Brigade games puts out a line of John Carter/VSF models to complement what we can find from Reaper right now.

There is also a rule set called "Valor and Steel and Flesh". It is an interesting rule set. The writer is Bob Charette who also co-wrote the original Battletech and Shadowrun games. It's a d10 system that mixes War of the Worlds, Barsoom and Space 1889 material.

Another choice is Buck Surdu's G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. game. Again, it is steeped in VSF mythos but is a little more generic to include other pulp settings. My favourite game of this I've played was Captain America and some GI's attacking a Nazi scientific base to steal plans for a super weapon. All was going well until the end of turn 1 when my friend failed an easy save for Captain America and he died. Considering that the adventure had his name in the title, this was a little disheartening.

Lesson learned: Never let a Canadian play Captain America!

If anyone wants links to these games or figures, please send me a PM. I would put it in this post but I'm not sure of the rules concering other miniature companies on this site. I don't want to offend anyone at Reaper and it isn't my intention to promote other companies that I buy from on this site.

If there is no issue, let me know and I will just add another post.

• Haha 2

As a side note John Carter does not predate Tarzan by all that much. Both were originally published in serialized form in 1912.

• Like 1

Disney is producing Warlord of Mars so maybe they bought all the ERB subject matter when they went for Tarzan.

Nope, its all public domain. A really horrible and low-budget Princess of Mars movie came out a year or two ago (with Traci Lords as Dejah Thoris, if you can believe it) as soon as Disney announced they were doing a John Carter movie. Whoever it was that rushed that out was able to do it because its all public domain.

As for the original question, I would second the Savage Worlds "Mars" recommendation, and the Bronze Age Miniatures. Tin Man Minatures also makes some very pretty decent and clearly Barsoomian inspired minis.

• Like 1

I am going to resurrect this thread, briefly, as there is a bit of John Carter news here.  Won't go into the movie, which I liked but ….

There are many good and some bad rules here. I took some advice from this thread and used a mix of Basic Role Playing and GURPS ideas, and a group of appropriate miniatures from my collection.  I wasn't getting many interested players.  Then along came D&D 5th edition and I was drawn back into that system . 

Thought I was done with Barsoom.  However, I joined the Kickstarter by Modiphius for a  2d20 version of John Carter of Mars (a year or so back).  I got the game and I have been able to run it a few times and I really do like the 2d20 system.

• Like 7

On 4/21/2020 at 2:02 PM, gwangi32 said:

I am going to resurrect this thread, briefly, as there is a bit of John Carter news here.  Won't go into the movie, which I liked but ….

There are many good and some bad rules here. I took some advice from this thread and used a mix of Basic Role Playing and GURPS ideas, and a group of appropriate miniatures from my collection.  I wasn't getting many interested players.  Then along came D&D 5th edition and I was drawn back into that system . 

Thought I was done with Barsoom.  However, I joined the Kickstarter by Modiphius for a  2d20 version of John Carter of Mars (a year or so back).  I got the game and I have been able to run it a few times and I really do like the 2d20 system.

Modiphius has released an abbreviated version of the John Carter rules for free on their website, with the checkout code BARSOOM.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Modiphius has released an abbreviated version of the John Carter rules for free on their website, with the checkout code BARSOOM.

Confirmed!!

Thanks!

While not a JCofM fan per se, I've always liked the life on Mars genre ever since I played a old DOS game where you were explorers on Mars. I think it was made by the same guys as the old D&D games of that era.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, haldir said:

Confirmed!!

Thanks!

While not a JCofM fan per se, I've always liked the life on Mars genre ever since I played a old DOS game where you were explorers on Mars. I think it was made by the same guys as the old D&D games of that era.

Perhaps you are thinking of Ultima Worlds of Adventure Martian Dreams?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/26/2020 at 1:20 AM, Darcstaar said:

Perhaps you are thinking of Ultima Worlds of Adventure Martian Dreams?

Yup, that was it!

Hmm probably not as good as it was back in the day, but I wonder if you can still play it on modern setups.

Why yes, yes you can!! I just did search & came upon gog.com where it free to buy!!! SWEET!

Thx for the reminder!

• Like 2