VSF Walking Trains

Ok, so I've got a late 1800s Confederacy army that assumes the C.S.A. managed to survive at least that long. I've decided to pretty much go straight Deadlands with it.

To that end, I've made a couple walking locomotives with steam-driven cannon.

post-334-13167825472842_thumb.jpg

post-334-1316782545388_thumb.jpg

However, I'm completely blanking on how to paint these. My original idea was to paint them as worn black steel, but when I go to put paint on the brush I lose the mental connection from the paint to the finished product.

Anyone else have suggestions?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy cow, this is the coolest thing I've seen all day, and that's saying something since I surround myself with awesome.

Don't suppose we could get a rundown on what you made these out of?

Also, have you ever read any Cherie Priest? These bring her books to mind.

Froggy, I'm just now seeing this. This is wicked cool. I have to ask though, what are the components for the boiler-section of the front of the train? The legs look like GW Imperial Guard Walker parts, but the front looks like a can of some sort.

Many thanks for the inspiring conversion work!

I'm kinda partial to some sort of patchwork, personally, for an exaggerated run-down steampunk look. Double bonus if one looks like a dinged, corroded deathtrap that's seen a lot of life experience, so to speak.

Drat, you're giving me ideas now. Do you have a full parts list and anything that can be used for a size reference? I might make my own, rather than competing against some of the other good ideas here...

Froggy, since I'm otherwise useless, and the "rusted" idea came up, my family and I went to the railway museum in Illinois, and here is a shot of one of the older rusty ones I took pictures of. I nice blue-black with some rust :)

post-6484-13204581699653_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps with an idea or three.

/d