Dominion by Rio Grande

Shortbeard

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Base game is totally worth it. You only use 10 different "resource" cards per game, and there are 30, so the interactions between the various cards and the endless permutations give it really great replay value. It's a very different kind of card game as the goal is to get as many victory point cards in your deck before the game ends, and that you build the deck you play with as you go along.

Some of the expansions seemed to flow way better than others; I wasn't a fan of Alchemy, but like Intrigue, Cornucopia, and a couple of the others pretty well. Save the cash, though, till after you play the base game and get tired of it after a year or two of playing it ::D:.

• Artists

Dominion is a great game! Though I agree that you're likely to like some of the expansions better than others. (I like the theme of Alchemy, but the execution not as much. Prosperity is one of my faves.) I also agree that I wouldn't want to play it 6 player all the time, though that's true of a great many games. (If the six player part is key, you could go to Board Game Geek and poke around for threads and Geeklist recommendations for games that shine with six players.

Allright,

Plated the predefined startup 10 deck first game match against my wife. What a blast!!! The game is silly quick to setup and by the third round we were basically beating each other to finish a round. I couldn't recommend this game any higher. Not sure I really need any expansions right now but do I ever want to play again.

We love Dominion and have most of the expansions, though we still have not played with all the cards yet. It's a good game for 4-5 players, with 6 it gets a little slow as people build their decks. But if you like Dominion, you will probably like some of the other deck-building games out there. We like Thunderstone probably even more than we like Dominion. Similar premise in buying resource cards and building your deck, but you have monsters to fight, too, which adds a nice twist.

• Artists

If you'd like a more confrontational take on deck building, check out Nightfall. It's pretty much all attack. It also has a very interesting mechanic for playing cards. Each card has a main colour, and two minor colours. You chain cards by playing one, then the main colour on the next has to match one of the minor colours on the first, and so on. Every time someone starts a chain, all players have a chance to add to the end of it in turn sequence, so you're doing stuff on other people's turns, too. You also have a mix of cards that are in the center that everyone can acquire, and a couple of things in your personal stock that only you can acquire. There's a short drafting process in the beginning so each player gets to have some influence on what's in the middle, out of the game and in their personal stock. Very different feel to Dominion or Thunderstone.