Sign in to follow this  
Evilmonkey

Want to start playing Warlord

So I've decided to give Warlord a try and I am debating on Crusaders or Mercenaries. I will be picking up the rulebook and want to pick up some minis to get me started. I will be at Artistcon so I'm hoping to pick up some minis using Metal exchange. If anyone has any suggestions on what I should get for either faction. I guess also let me know the pros and cons so I can pick one. Thanks folks!

If you are up for it, I will be happy to play a game or two of Warlord with you. There are Crusader loaner minis at Reaper for sure, and probably some mercs too.

So I've decided to give Warlord a try and I am debating on Crusaders or Mercenaries. I will be picking up the rulebook and want to pick up some minis to get me started. I will be at Artistcon so I'm hoping to pick up some minis using Metal exchange. If anyone has any suggestions on what I should get for either faction. I guess also let me know the pros and cons so I can pick one. Thanks folks!

Just for my curiousity, why Crusaders or Mercenaries? Why not the new fractions in Salvage North?

Just for my curiousity, why Crusaders or Mercenaries? Why not the new fractions in Salvage North?

I used to play Warhammer Fantasy till this latest edition came out and I played evil armies like Skaven and Warriors of Chaos. These seem like "good" armies and mercs seems like a neutral force. The Sisters of the Blade look kinda cool but not really sold. Are the Crusaders and the Mercs not competitive?

Every faction is competitive when played the right way. And of course the right way changes based on who and what you are facing off against.

Crusaders and Mercs are both fun groups to play with. And all factions have been exhaustively playtested to make sure that they can hold their own with other factions on the battlefield.

Really the main difference between the core book and the expansion book is that the core book factions tend to have more models per faction and thus a bit more variety in their offerings, but they also tend to force a player to use a bit more team work to get the most synergy from those. The Northern expansion book has less models per faction which tends to have each mode type be a little more independent of its faction buddies. Not to say they dont have team synergies, just saying they work with each other a little differently than the original book.

Are the Crusaders and the Mercs not competitive?

I believe all 19 fractions are relatively competitive to each other at 1000 points before taking spells and doctrines into consideration. Some are trickier to play than others. It depends on whether you want to take the warlord or not and which one.

Understandable and I'm glad to hear that there is real balance. So what is a good start to say Crusaders and maybe Overlords? Barring the books as I plan on buying those of course, I'm interested in what models will give me a solid start and will actually see use in 1000pt games. Are there any issues with the two factions I am leaning towards? I know Overlords is back to playing evil armies but I like the idea of having some coolness in an army.

What minis are best really depends on your play style. There are so many options with all the lists that there aren't that many "must have" minis. Sit down with Bob, Jack, and I during Artist Con and we can give you all sorts of options. I'm sure some of the other people there can do the same.

So what is a good start to say Crusaders and maybe Overlords? Barring the books as I plan on buying those of course, I'm interested in what models will give me a solid start and will actually see use in 1000pt games. Are there any issues with the two factions I am leaning towards? I know Overlords is back to playing evil armies but I like the idea of having some coolness in an army.

Warlord is NOT Warhammer. Although some figures are more important, there are no real must-have with may be a few exceptions. Take Necropolis, for example, one player may field a hord of skeletons led by several Railors. Another may charge you with Judas leading a group of Crimson Knights. A third player may field Rhasia with many zombies to be detonated at the right moment. None of the three army list will look similar to each other. I recall that the recent winner for ReaperCon has fast cavalry for his Nefsokar. Yet, another player may have the same fraction but has his army consisted of mainly mummies for being the "tank". Each fraction has a few strategies for you to choose. Therefore, no one can really tell you which models you must have. The tournament is set at 1000 pts. One reason is that at that level you cannot field everything or cover all aspects of play. The best plan is to stick with one strategy and choose your models based on it. Finally, welcome to the world of Warlord. You will not regret it.

At this time, unless something changes, I will also be up at ArtistCon for at least the Friday night portion playing some Warlord. I would be happy to talk with you as well as roll some dice and give you a few demos with a few different looks from each of those factions.

One suggestion though is to look at those faction threads and see some of the devious lists that other players have tried or discussed in the past:

Crusaders: http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/36301-crusaders/

Overlords: http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/36299-overlords/

Welcome to the boards as well as Warlord.

Since you want to try a good army and have emigrated from WHF (as I have in the last year) I wish you a lot of fun games. As you've probably seen already, the game is completely different in a lot of good ways. One of the nice things is the sheer number of non-Warlord models that can be used for a force. I'm building a dwarf force and right now I' using a Dwarf barbarian model for one of the Battlefury boys... He just looks loke a battle-furied dude, so it was kinda onvious for me. It allows your armies to be unique aesthetically (to one degree or another).