Dark Sword Thief of Hearts WIP

MamaGeek

Dark Sword manufactures a series of miniatures with the same name, "Thief of Hearts." Each one has a different pose, weapon, etc. They are sold as "Thief of Hearts", "Thief of Hearts #2," "Thief of Hearts #3," etc. I'm painting the first one in the series, the original "Thief of Hearts."

Here's the mini stick-tacked onto the block of wood I'll be using for the base:

ThiefOfHeartsBaseWIP1.jpg

I had just ordered some new brushes, and wanted to wait on painting her until they came in. I also wanted to get a feel for the work as a whole, so I started with the base.

First I took the wood block out to my garage and hacked at it with a saw and rasp for a while. Then I glued on pieces of cork and a small root from my garden. I will integrate the base of the mini into the cork at the top, so I left a hole for that.

ThiefOfHeartsBaseWIP2.jpgThiefOfHeartsBaseWIP3.jpg

I added sand to the base to represent dirt, then I used white primer on the upper areas and all the sand, which tends to soak up the paint if not primed.

ThiefOfHeartsBaseWIP4.jpgThiefOfHeartsBaseWIP5.jpg

Next I painted the base, and varnished the wood. This photo doesn't capture nearly all the subtle coloring on here. There is a significant amount of violet shading in the rocky areas that matches the palette of the miniature. I may need to add more layers of that to bring it out more. The dirt on the side looks too muddy, too. I think the glue was thick there, so the surface is smoother than other areas. I may go back and glue on another dusting of sand there.

Once the miniature is glued into the space at the top, I'll glue more sand in the gap to integrate it fully.

ThiefOfHeartsBaseWIP6.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After priming the mini, I decided on a palette:

From left to right: wings, skin, loin cloth, armor, cloak

ThiefOfHeartsPalette.gif

I've also found this reference photo I'll be using for the wings:

hawkwings.jpg

I decided to begin with the skin, using my new Da Vinci Maestro "Miniaturist" brush, size 2, that I just ordered from DickBlick.com (see my earlier blog entry about that).

I base coated the skin with a layer of Reaper MSP Sandy Tan, mixed with white.

My second layer was a very, very thin teal that I mixed myself from Reaper MSP Clear Blue and some GW yellow paint I need to use up. I applied this in the shadow areas of the skin.

For the third step, I applied more shading using very thin Reaper MSP Sandy Brown, and went back and forth with that and white, to retouch any highlights that got pulled down too dark with the teal and brown.

I still have several layers to go, which will move the skin tone closer towards red, but this is my starting point.

post-4823-13190757827357_thumb.jpg

post-4823-13190757951389_thumb.jpg

Love the base so far Joy. Might I suggest adding some Milliput to the sides to fill in some of the holes and make the whole thing flush with the side of the base. I think it will make it look more seamless. I am actually wanting to paint up a mini with a very similar type of base, when I find the time to paint again, so thank you very much for the inspiration!

@Mercius: I plan to leave the wood unpainted, so I can't bulk it up with Milliput (I also don't own any, haha!). But what part exactly were you referring to? I may be able to do something else with it....

@Jabberwocky: I left the root to dry for a couple months, but that's it. Should I have done something else with it?

Skin Tones Steps 4-6

Step 4: I applied more of the Sandy Brown, White, and Teal.

Step 5: Very thin blood red to bring the skin tone to life.

Step 6: GW Elf flesh to blend the tones together

post-4823-13195036603893_thumb.jpg

Cloak

Step 1: Base coat with violet mixed with white

Step 2: Shade with yellow mixed with black

Step 3: Shade with violet - it looks too pink! A wash of clear blue should fix it (see that started on the right side of the cloak)

Step 4: Finish the clear blue wash, then shade, highlight, shade, highlight with all of the above where they seem to go.

post-4823-13195036610252_thumb.jpg

Really diggin' the cloak--very rich colors you've got going.

I was just curious about the root. Darklord over at WaMP had posted an article about preserving natural foliage with glycerin to ensure longevity of the plants. I've not been able to find any glycerin here (other than in pediatric constipation preparations and I am not that interested to go about extracting the glycerin from the suppositories...). :lol:

OK Mercius, and thanks!

I haven't had a chance to work on this for a while. I've been working on a D&D adventure for the group I'm DMing for. And of course tonight I took the kids trick-or-treating. We had a fun time. My husband ran out of candy at our house, but we got home just in time to restock him. Our kids protested some, but they got way more candy than they can eat, anyway, so it's all good. The doorbell didn't ring too many times after that, anyway. :). Tomorrow night we'll go to church for All Saint's Day. I was planning to meet a friend for coffee one night this week, and Friday night is Game Night, so it might be a while still...

I love the way the base came out. Good stuff.

I am concerned about the cloak. It looks like it is taking on a "grainyness" due to the last bit of whiteish hightlight. I'm not sure if that was the last few highlights so something like a glaze would help it out .. or maybe it is the primer and I just couldnt see it before.

Just what I'm seeing now. Can't wait to see more.

I love the way the base came out. Good stuff.

I am concerned about the cloak. It looks like it is taking on a "grainyness" due to the last bit of whiteish hightlight. I'm not sure if that was the last few highlights so something like a glaze would help it out .. or maybe it is the primer and I just couldnt see it before.

Just what I'm seeing now. Can't wait to see more.

Yes, there is graininess in that middle section. That is where I didn't prep the mini well enough, and the underlying metal wasn't smooth. When I shaded it, I ended up with an ugly stark transition line. What you see is my slow buildup of highlights to smooth it out. When I'm done, you shouldn't see that anymore. It is of concern, though. I spent probably about an hour just starting to fix it. Chalk it up to "lessons learned" - always take the time to properly prep your minis!

I probably won't get to painting this again until the weekend at the earliest. Life has been busy lately!