A Rocket for Mouselings

Dr.Bedlam

So I had and have no idea what I'm doin' with the Space Mouselings, yet. I have too many projects on the back burner as it is. Still, when they had TWO new mouseling boxed sets for Artistcon, I knew I was gonna be a sucker about it. But I digress.

Froggy -- and later, mouseling sculptor Gene -- expressed interest in this subject, and for both of you and any others who intend to go somewhere crazy with this, I offer the following pictures and information...

post-216-13194096448006_thumb.jpg Seen here: the Denny's rocket sippy cup, available at Denny's with a kid's meal at one point. I know they're still available on Ebay, and for all I know, Denny's still has the things for sale. The one seen here has been sprayed with white primer, and then stuck in the closet and ignored for years until I get around to doing something with it. Fortunately, Gene gave me a reason to. Also seen is a headless Space Mouseling and the monster from Planet X, as included in the Boxed Set.

post-216-13194096671697_thumb.jpg For those who feel that the Denny's rocket is too large, and dominates the scene too much, we have here a toy rocket that is actually a bottle of bubble stuff, complete with bubble wand attached inside the nose cone, which unscrews. You'll notice it's considerably smaller, although there are some who feel that the rivety steampunky feel is a bit much.

Any ideas or suggestions?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember those build up pressure to shoot water rockets? I wonder if one of those would work? Just anther idea I guess.

Would be interesting to put up a "build post" of what people come up with for these little guys.

RM

I hate it when someone comes up with the same idea I want to do! :poke: But, hey, it's a natural for these guys!

I agree the Denny's rocket is too big. I like the riveted rocket! Reads old school sci-fi to me. If worse comes to worse you could sand down the rivets, but not necessary IMHO.

BTW, here's a water rocket like Haldir was saying:

3110400.jpg

Another idea:

tta1314_red_rocket_pen__00999.jpg

http://www.tintoyarc...ship-Green.html

This place has many other retro rockets.

Take care,

Laszlo

Hadn't thought of flying saucers... actually, I hadn't even thought about rockets, until I saw the promo art. I even went so far as to think about snagging a horde of Sliggs...

Never thought of water rockets, either. Do they even still MAKE those? I got up to sixteen colors of dickens with those when I was a kid, which makes me figure they certainly must have been abolished by now...

Laszlo: Neat link! Going to have to chew on that one a while...

Makes me wish I'd bought more of those bubble rocket bottle things. They were only a buck each at the dump bin at Target.

The only down side to using a flying saucer that I can see is that it will require a much larger 'footprint' than a rocket does, and consequently a bigger diorama base. You also run the risk of it dominating the scene instead of the Mouslings. Just a thought. Gotta wonder how many of these we're going to see at the next ReaperCon. ::P: I'd be curious to se sales numbers for the boxed set after it's over next week, but that's probably too much of a peek behind the curtain. :B):

Michael

Never thought of water rockets, either. Do they even still MAKE those? I got up to sixteen colors of dickens with those when I was a kid, which makes me figure they certainly must have been abolished by now...

Nope, you can still get them! I found that on a science toys site. Heck, you can find them on Amazon...

Makes me wish I'd bought more of those bubble rocket bottle things. They were only a buck each at the dump bin at Target.

Yeah, that's why I check the dollar stores once in a while, looking for treasures... :poke:

Later,

Laszlo

http://hot-lead.org

Yeah, I think perhaps the rivety one is the way to go. Furthermore, I now have an extra Cowboy Mouseling, due to having attended ArtistCon... been thinking about reposing him and rigging some kind of bubble on the nose of the rocket, and having Cowboy as a pilot...

Yeah, I think perhaps the rivety one is the way to go. Furthermore, I now have an extra Cowboy Mouseling, due to having attended ArtistCon... been thinking about reposing him and rigging some kind of bubble on the nose of the rocket, and having Cowboy as a pilot...

Nonono,

I'm whatever-th in supporting the rivet-rocket. It very, very strongly hearkens back to 1950s and earlier 'space cheese'...Lost in Space, Buck Rogers, that whole genre...and fits perfectly with the campy look of Mouslings...in...Spaaaaaaace!

For sake of diorama, would look less dominant on its side or laying against the terrain, perhaps?