Paint thinning assistance please.

Wumby

Personal goal is to improve transitions and getting a smoother looking product by thinning my paints. I'm using RMS for this particular model and go more by the inexact "brushful" method. (Instead of a more precise ratio, I put a drop or two of paint, load my brush with water, mix, and adjust as I feel accordingly.) Here's what I'm getting: I feel that I get the level of translucency that I've seen on countless blogs/forums/etc... but when I put paint to model, it appears that I have no manner of brush control. I get the thin layer of pigment where I want it, but most of it pools in the recesses. Is my paint too thin, since it behaves somewhat like a wash? Do I need to take a swipe on paper/paper towel/cloth to pull out the excess flow? Or ignore the pooling in the cracks, since I'll throw a wash or blackline anyways. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me that your consistency is right, but you have too much paint loaded on your brush. Take most of the paint back out of your brush by lightly swiping it on a paper towel. With only a little bit of thinned paint on your brush, you shouldn't have much trouble with overflow. Try that and tell me if it works.

It seems to me that your consistency is right, but you have too much paint loaded on your brush. Take most of the paint back out of your brush by lightly swiping it on a paper towel. With only a little bit of thinned paint on your brush, you shouldn't have much trouble with overflow. Try that and tell me if it works.

+1 on what Martin said! How much paint you apply to the model will help you moderate control. Also, if you're finding the flow is still too loose or unsatisfactory, you can add some flow-aid to your paint thinning mix. (Either by thinning to recommend percentage in the mix water, or adding a drop directly to the paint - I've done the latter with no detrimental effects using RMS flow improver.)

Haven't had the chance to try yet, but I think pulling some of the load off the brush will be what works for me. I already see favorable results with thinning my paint, and need to keep practicing. I'm going to remember the advice from Laszlo too, I'm just ignorant enough to not know if I feel my flow is too loose or not. All I was noticing was that I put brush here, and paint a little bit, but wait the pigment is pooling in the recesses...wait, I'm not washing here, I'm trying to paint, but there's some pigment left where I want it.... (how's that for some painting stream of consciousness?)

Quick swipe on the paper towel pulled adjusted it just right. Thx.

If you keep a paper towel, I fold it in fourths, next to your palette and water, you'll make a habit of wiping off the excess thinned paint almost every time(unless you are using a very small brush). I like to do one light swipe towards myself while giving the brush a little half-twist to help shape the point before taking it to the mini.