60086 Ameiko Kaijitsu, Pathfinder bard

dks

I thought a long time about the shamisen. I also don't see a strap for it, so what is keepin' it on her back?... Oh, well, it's the magic "Back Hugging Shamisen of Discomfort." I may just be missing something. :)

But, another way you can go is to tighten the edges of the dark part and call it the shadow cast by her head. To sell that you'd have to darken quite a bit more all the way down and across the stones on the base... maybe doing that could help "un-busy" things. Dunno.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought a long time about the shamisen. I also don't see a strap for it, so what is keepin' it on her back?... Oh, well, it's the magic "Back Hugging Shamisen of Discomfort." I may just be missing something. :)

But, another way you can go is to tighten the edges of the dark part and call it the shadow cast by her head. To sell that you'd have to darken quite a bit more all the way down and across the stones on the base... maybe doing that could help "un-busy" things. Dunno.

There's a brown strap for the shamisen just below her chin, attaching to the middle of the instrument's neck in the rear view. In the concept art, she is showing a bit more shoulder and the strap is lower. We have to change or omit some details when we sculpt figures based on Wayne Reynolds's art (since his amazing paintings at 12" tall would make for jumbled and hard-to-paint figures at 1" tall), but Patrick did sculpt the strap. But, hmmm, looks like I painted the yellow border of her top as if the strap went under it at her shoulder. Oops.

Anyway, good idea about how to manipulate the lights and darks. Sounds like you have set a good challenge for yourself! :;):

Derek

"Rise, O dead thread!"

In case you missed it at ReaperCon, I entered this figure in the Painters category of the Master Series Open painting contest, where it was one of several entries that won Gold Medals, and it also won the golden Sophie Trophy (the top prize among Reaper entries in the category).

Thanks again for your views and comments here.

Derek

(good thread-bump ;-) )

Nice tattoo! Love the expression on her face! Nice choice of colours aswell! Excellent job all-over!

I would never dare to mix the purple and white/grey cloth with her lovely red-orange coloured shirt, but it works so well it seems!

Very well done! And congrats with the Golden Sophie!!