• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's an excellent reason. I can accept that. I have heard it often, but then my questions are, why would you ever go all out if they are just for gaming? And why post "purely gaming pieces" in a "Show Off" forum?

We wanna see your best... So's we can "oooh" and "aaaah!"

::):

OK, I had a much longer, much more bitter post that I was going to originally reply with. I'm not going to use that one even though you unknowing tripped one of my triggers.

First your questions: 1) some models will lend themselves to better paint jobs whether by position within the force or visual interest of the model 2) because it serves as a reference for others that may be looking for a place to start with their models.

I know that you felt that you were probably encouraging me to be a better painter. I' m fine where I am. I can paint quite well as a matter of fact. However, when I choose not too does that preclude me from posting my pictures to share with the greater community if only to say "here's how I did it"? I personally find that to have a showcase of nothing but superbly painted miniatures actually prevents a number of people from starting, or drives people to quitting early because they become frustrated that they have not achieved the same results as Anne or the other studio painters. (Nothing against them, I admire their work.)

I've been on these boards a long time, a little less frequently over the past couple years for various reasons that I'm not going to go into, but there has never been a question as to why a miniature was posted. If it wasn't that good, we've offered advice if it was wanted, made comments along the way, but never questioned why something was posted. If this is the new norm for this board I'm very saddened.

I get that not everyone is into the gaming side of the hobby. I can accept that. But to me, the larger part of the hobby is the gaming, and I'd rather be doing that than have a bunch of half finished models on my paint table. My time is very limited and they are still very much toy soldiers to me.

P.S. The smiley comes off as condescending after questioning why I posted my mini.

Even for a "gaming piece" You did a great job. As I see it, anything you are going to use in a game is a gaming piece even if it's competition quality. Blue is murder to paint well anyways. I checked the rest of your pics on your blog and I am really digging the shield. Cygnar might not be my thing (Farrow Minions is), but I might have to pick up a jack or two now to have fun painting.

Even for a "gaming piece" You did a great job. As I see it, anything you are going to use in a game is a gaming piece even if it's competition quality. Blue is murder to paint well anyways. I checked the rest of your pics on your blog and I am really digging the shield. Cygnar might not be my thing (Farrow Minions is), but I might have to pick up a jack or two now to have fun painting.

Thank you. I had considered doing something a little more fancy with the cygnus, but by that time I just wanted it done so I could move on to the next one. The blues really weren't that bad to paint with. I used the newer formulation of the Reaper Pro Paints and the blues cover quite well for that line. Too bad they couldn't find a new supplier for the bottles. Haven't tried the HD MSPs as the RPPs I have will probably last me a while.

That's an excellent reason. I can accept that. I have heard it often, but then my questions are, why would you ever go all out if they are just for gaming? And why post "purely gaming pieces" in a "Show Off" forum?

We wanna see your best... So's we can "oooh" and "aaaah!"

::):

OK, I had a much longer, much more bitter post that I was going to originally reply with. I'm not going to use that one even though you unknowing tripped one of my triggers.

First your questions: 1) some models will lend themselves to better paint jobs whether by position within the force or visual interest of the model 2) because it serves as a reference for others that may be looking for a place to start with their models.

I know that you felt that you were probably encouraging me to be a better painter. I' m fine where I am. I can paint quite well as a matter of fact. However, when I choose not too does that preclude me from posting my pictures to share with the greater community if only to say "here's how I did it"? I personally find that to have a showcase of nothing but superbly painted miniatures actually prevents a number of people from starting, or drives people to quitting early because they become frustrated that they have not achieved the same results as Anne or the other studio painters. (Nothing against them, I admire their work.)

I've been on these boards a long time, a little less frequently over the past couple years for various reasons that I'm not going to go into, but there has never been a question as to why a miniature was posted. If it wasn't that good, we've offered advice if it was wanted, made comments along the way, but never questioned why something was posted. If this is the new norm for this board I'm very saddened.

I get that not everyone is into the gaming side of the hobby. I can accept that. But to me, the larger part of the hobby is the gaming, and I'd rather be doing that than have a bunch of half finished models on my paint table. My time is very limited and they are still very much toy soldiers to me.

P.S. The smiley comes off as condescending after questioning why I posted my mini.

I see. You do see I'm a noob... I hope... all of 20 posts or so. Thanks.

Back to the dark shadows I go. G-bye.