60071 Ecarrdian Drovenge (Pathfinder)

dks

If you are playing Pathfinder's "Council of Thieves" Adventure Path, you will eventually hear about this fellow: Ecarrdian Drovenge.

Here is the link to the concept art, by Steve Prescott: link at Paizo site

Lots of detail on the armor, as you can see. Apart from some careful brushwork for all that detail, it was a pretty fast figure to paint. The skin was an unusual color, involving Burnt Orange with highlights of Blonde Hair.

The ivory color of the base is a nod to the color on the cover of the Adventure Path book itself.

(He would also make a nice figure for a tiefling swashbuckler/duelist D&D character.)

Enjoy,

Derek

post-2358-1322625855915_thumb.jpg

post-2358-13226258654935_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that is intricate armor. I love the color choices and the face. It's clear right away what kind of guy he is. I may have to save this one for the scrap book of things to aspire to - your stuff always makes me weep for the level of skill I'll never have! :poke:

Wow. Eyes are bugging out of my head - that armor is incredibly intricate! So many little details. Excellent work, again, obviously. Very nice colour scheme, nice freehand on the cloak. The face is appropriately devilish.

How do you get such expressive faces? I often find that the face is too small to get much detail/blending in there. My highlights end up taking up most of the face, and they don't look as nice as yours!

I like the offerings you've had of late Derek. You've always had an amazing level of painting, but I haven't liked it as I have pieces like this.

The attention to detail is amazing, whether it's freehand or blending, etc., but I always felt that no matter how awe inspiring the photos were, the models didn't pop.

Lately they pop. This one even more.

You're a proverbial arch-mage of painting already, but I think you've levelled up.

My favorite part of this mini are the skin tones. The triceps are just excellent. If I had your skill I would make the blood a little darker and the red gemstones a little brighter to help the overall model tie in together a bit more. Wow, though. Love the model.

How do you get your blends to be so smooth?

The skin was an unusual color, involving Burnt Orange with highlights of Blonde Hair.

Derek is really too nice to mention that this unusual color combination had more to do with the fact that I stole all the paints during Artist's Con and Rhonda's SAS made it impossible to find the paints you wanted that I hadn't already stolen.. :)

He turned out splendid.. :)

Ali

Thanks for all of the comments!

@Jen, @sgtoku, @Zonto, @Ishil, @haldir, @Nameless (comments on the face): Come to ReaperCon and take my "Expressive Faces" class. You'll get 2 hours on it (sometimes more, if it's the last class of the day and I can go over the limit). ::D: The first 10 minutes: You start by understanding how facial features indicate expressions -- how changes to the eyes, mouth, eyebrows, and nose connote "happy", "sad", "angry", "disdainful", "conniving", etc. If you don't know this, anything you do right will just be by accident. And sometimes you have to convert a face, but in this case the sculpt was already great, and a few little painting tricks (the creases around the eyes, adding a hint of teeth) were enough to punch it up.

@joshuaslater: Glad to hear that I'm winning you over! :;): I haven't been doing anything deliberately different with my recent figures, but I guess I need to keep it up. "Arch-mage of painting" ... hmm, I might have to put that on my business cards... ^_^

@Paintdawg: The shading on the skin was various colors, including Bronzed (Skin) Shadow, Chestnut Gold, Intense Brown, Russet Brown, and Brown Liner. The hair started with Auburn Shadow (the shadow color of the "redhead" triad), I added Creamy Ivory for highlights, Brown Liner for shadows, and then did a lot of glazing with Rust Brown, Burgundy Wine, and Nightshade Purple. Whenever my reds start going to pink, I bump up the saturation with red/orange glazes.

@themudhead: Thanks for the opinion on the reds; there's always something more to do. As for smooth blends ... generally I use layers of thinned translucent paint (avoiding abrupt transitions from one color to another), and when I notice a transition between colors that I have made too abrupt, I paint over that borderline with a color that's halfway between the two colors.

@Jubilee: Thanks! Ah, yes, Rhonda's SAS. If necessity is the mother of invention, what does that make you two in this case -- grandmothers? aunts? bad-influence babysitters? ::P:

Derek

This is a really cool piece, Derek. I have to say, I'm a little surprised at the back of the tabard/surcoat - the blending on it doesn't look up to your usually high standards. When I look at some of your other stuff, I have no problem fooling myself into thinking I'm looking at cloth, rather than paint on a metal miniature. This one just seems to have a lot of spots that catch my eye as not looking right. That being said, the armor is awesome, and the face is absolutely amazing. More than the blood on the blade, that face says, "I've just killed someone, and I LOVED it!" Great color choices!

~v