Sign in to follow this  
Baphomet69

The Once and Future Warlord

First, a disclaimer; If you're reading this post, please take it in the spirit it was written, a fact finding/suggestion box/brainstorming sort of thing resulting from a slow day at work. No one should take offense at my questions here, as I certainly meant none.

Let’s begin.

I’m curious about Reaper’s current view/attitude toward the game. Are they still fully behind its ongoing development? Savage North was released 18 months ago (yes, I'm impatient). If it’s still under active development, could anyone share any future plans/ideas Reaper has for further releases for the game? They seem fairly tight-lipped and shy about promoting it. I realize that they are a miniatures company first and foremost, and I fully understand that Reaper likely does not want to fall into the SOON™ trap. However, knowing it’s still alive and well (outside of the fan base) and having something(s) to look forward to would be nice.

Reapergames.com; is it still actively being updated? Only 5 Savage North factions have their own (really helpful) ‘Closer Look’ articles, and the same treatment for the Taltos factions would be nice for those new to the game.

Also, two years ago Gus mentioned that new campaign rules were in the works and would be posted on reapergames.com, but I still can’t find them (aside from the fan-produced one).

FYI, even the copyright at the bottom of the webpage is from 2001-2010…

How about an official (either professionally-produced dead-tree version, a pay-for-pdf version or free-on-the-website) set of dungeon crawl rules. Get with Castlebuilder or one of the other community members that have already paved this road to help with this. You could even get with Bruce from HirstArts and devote a section to building modular dungeon pieces using his molds…

Did I read somewhere on the forums that Black Lightening is no more? Is there a story behind that? Not that one needs to be BL to promote the game at their FLGS, I'm just curious.

Lastly (for now) WHERE ARE MY PDFs?!? wink.gif

Yes, I do realize I’m like a hyperactive poodle (from Hell)…thanks for asking. wacko.gif

You bring up a complex and contentious topic here. Yes they are supporting the product by releasing new figures all the time. They hold Tournaments at Gencon, Reapercon, and Origins(I think on the last one.) The problem is that Reaper is really a Mom and Pop operation and can't afford the GW Army spam model. Privateer's game model has worked out better, but Reaper isn't a game company. Most of the game design work has been done on spec/volunteer basis, which means they get what they pay for aka not a lot of new material.

Good news is they are interested in keeping their gaming material. Bad news is that new material will be slow in coming... ALWAYS. On the bright side Reich of the Dead has a release date, and maybe Cav: Strike Operations will S :blink: :blink: n see the light of day.

As for campaign material. This has really been off and on and ultimately has failed to launch so far. Dungeon Material would be great too, but that is it's own demon fraught with fraughtfulness. Actually I suggest you make campaign material yourself and then perhaps it will get used on the Reaper Games site if it is sufficiently cool enough. Since most of the Warlord 2.0 has been a labor of love from us Warlord fan boys I doubt anyone will mind.

The death of the BL program has hurt them on the gaming front. The problem is now is I Demo a game for free. This means I'm volunteering my valuable gaming/hobby time to sit at a game store for hours to maybe teach a few people a game that they may or may not buy into. This is further complicated by the fact that there are no starter army sets, so you are at the whim of the FLGS and what they do or do not stock. This makes Demos awful because there is no starting point to get newbies in.

Speaking for myself, I doubt I would invest time and energy in development just in the vague & likely vain hope of it being judged 'cool enough' for publication on ReaperGames.com. IMHO, resources would be better spent on either fan sites or something with the existing Reaper forums. There was discussion as far back as 2006 re: the pros and cons of these.

So, what about this idea? Ask Reaper Peeps to create sub-forums within the Warlord Rules Discussion folder for Campaign, Siege, Dungeon Crawl and other major components. Fans can then work together on these ideas in a supported, moderated setting without the hassle of creating and maintaining their own separate site(s). The results would remain completely unofficial until/unless they are ported over to ReaperGames.com and used for future publications.

I suggest encouraging experienced players to create 'closer look' articles within the Faction-specific pinned topics. Again, once the review & revision is complete, it would be easy to push such material over to ReaperGames.com.

I think the idea is to develop a system for your own use that could then be disseminated. But I'd rather not come up with it on my own either.

So, what about this idea? Ask Reaper Peeps to create sub-forums within the Warlord Rules Discussion folder for Campaign, Siege, Dungeon Crawl and other major components. Fans can then work together on these ideas in a supported, moderated setting without the hassle of creating and maintaining their own separate site(s). The results would remain completely unofficial until/unless they are ported over to ReaperGames.com and used for future publications.

I like this idea very much. The threads could easily be populated by the work that Castlebuilder has already done. I know he has dungeon crawl rules worked out, and it appears from the siege rules thread that he has done siege in the past as well. If we could get these sub-forums going, perhaps if we asked nicely we could get him to post his work there, then let the community hash it out?

Please allow me to point a few things even if I'm quite a newbie here.

There is a problem that can't be completly blamed on Reaper: there is no Warlord presence in the internet.

I'm trying to aproach Warlord, but I can't find Warlord related material on the web. There is an article at gameboardgeek, and a couple of posts at BoLS. And that's almost all.

I would really like to see Warlord on the fans' blog. If I don't now too much about the game I want to see pictures.

Pictures are very important in today's world. I want to see pictures about how a Warlord army looks like. I want to see pictures about how a Warlord battle looks like. And I want to read some analysis about the system itself and how a battle works (battle reports).

It's not about how "small" the company is: Corvus Belli is a familiar company on a small city in northwest Spain and their Infinty may be found on a myriad of sites around the web. And (this is another different but important point) you can download a free sample rulebook from their web. If you are a miniatures company you want to sell miniatures; a rulebook is really important, but it is a way to get the people into your miniatures.

I'm really sorry for my awful English.

Greetings from Spain, Europe.

• Like 1

I have to agree with you there as Warlord is a solid game but suffers from a lack of exposure. It seems that the Warlord player community may just not be very well motivated. I discovered Warlord last year at Artistcon only because I really wanted to learn more about the game and some awesome forum members showed me the game.

I hate to say it, but I agree. The Reaper peeps have explained that they're a miniatures company, not a games company, but it sure seems to me that Warlord could do better than it has with a little love and care on the part of those of us who love it and play it...

I promise to use my digital camera to post pics of battle reports in this year. I'm still painting up the forces, but I'll just field what's done and go from there!

Please allow me to point a few things even if I'm quite a newbie here.

There is a problem that can't be completly blamed on Reaper: there is no Warlord presence in the internet.

I'm trying to aproach Warlord, but I can't find Warlord related material on the web. There is an article at gameboardgeek, and a couple of posts at BoLS. And that's almost all.

I would really like to see Warlord on the fans' blog. If I don't now too much about the game I want to see pictures.

Pictures are very important in today's world. I want to see pictures about how a Warlord army looks like. I want to see pictures about how a Warlord battle looks like. And I want to read some analysis about the system itself and how a battle works (battle reports).

It's not about how "small" the company is: Corvus Belli is a familiar company on a small city in northwest Spain and their Infinty may be found on a myriad of sites around the web. And (this is another different but important point) you can download a free sample rulebook from their web. If you are a miniatures company you want to sell miniatures; a rulebook is really important, but it is a way to get the people into your miniatures.

I'm really sorry for my awful English.

Greetings from Spain, Europe.

Those posts about Warlord on BoLS are by me. I unfortunately must deal with an editor who is not a fan. That said I'll try and be more dilligent and post builds and batreps on my blog.

Members of my gaming club found Warlord at last year's GenCon. We were already big fans of Reaper miniatures and were curious about this game. We tried to find info on the web but there was little out there.

Once we had a chance to play the system, we were hooked. We went from the game and each bought a starter army and the rule book (we ordered the first book when we got home since Reaper didn't have copies there.

I understand that it is hard for a company to be all things to all people. However it is frustrating when a good game doesn't get the support it deserves. We have tested a lot of rules and this system captures the fantasy feel with a workable skirmish system.

Perhaps the Reaper community can take some ideas on how other "mom and pop" or smaller groups develop their systems. From our experience, when the developer empowers a gaming community around them, the result is a large pool of willing playtesters and developers who are only in it to make a game they like to play. If Reaper is concerned about IP, set up a private section to the website that people can thinktank the system with the understanding that the final product is Reaper's but credit will be given to the group.

Since Reaper is in the miniature market and not the game design market, perhaps open source pdf files are a way to go.

Other ideas is to develop a demo team program for players around the country. These "Warlord Embassadors" could help promote the game at other local cons and game clubs. Most people do this for other companies for free or access to discounts on product. Whatever way you go, you expand your resources to promote the game with minimal investment from the company. Prize support is easy. Give coupons for product that can be redeamed through your local game store or through the website.

Doing some or all of these things will ensure the game gets the recognition it deserves.

Sorry if I rambled. I just get a little exited when I believe in something ;)

Plus, I'm Canadian, eh?

I agree with all your points. I especially think that free PDFs may be the way to go, I don't have access to Reaper's financials, nor do I want to. However, I can't believe they have made much if any profit from the printed books. Two volumes so far, I would think they'd be better off giving away the files to promote mini sales. Then again, as I often say, it's not my money on the line, it's theirs.

As for having a volunteer demo team, they used to have one called Black Lightning, but I'm not privy to reason for its demise. I don't know, it seems to work for companies like Catalyst Game Labs.

I'm with you, I would love to see this great system thrive, I very much want to see dungeon crawl, siege, campaign rules, etc.

Perhaps the Reaper community can take some ideas on how other "mom and pop" or smaller groups develop their systems. From our experience, when the developer empowers a gaming community around them, the result is a large pool of willing playtesters and developers who are only in it to make a game they like to play. If Reaper is concerned about IP, set up a private section to the website that people can thinktank the system with the understanding that the final product is Reaper's but credit will be given to the group.

This is pretty much exactly how Warlord 2 came to pass, as well as Savage North. A handful of us volunteered a ridiculous amount of time (some of us more ridiculous than others; just ask Stubbdog) to see to it that the rules got rewritten into their current incarnation. But the only reason it got any real traction, was that there was someone (Gus Landt) that was willing to go to the mats with Reaper and convince them that is was a good idea to revamp the rules. You'd need that again before you are likely to make real progress with any additional supplements.

~v

Also, one of the primary reasons for the death of the BL programs was that it was no longer achieving its purpose. Only a handful of members were actively making demos and events happen, and the reality is, that those members (like Castlebuilder, vutpakdi, and myself) still make those events happen, even without the support of the BL program. Granted, I do less now that I used to, but that is more a function of my schedule for the last 2 years than a lack of support from Reaper.

~v