Sign in to follow this  
Baphomet69

The Once and Future Warlord

Also, one of the primary reasons for the death of the BL programs was that it was no longer achieving its purpose. Only a handful of members were actively making demos and events happen, and the reality is, that those members (like Castlebuilder, vutpakdi, and myself) still make those events happen, even without the support of the BL program. Granted, I do less now that I used to, but that is more a function of my schedule for the last 2 years than a lack of support from Reaper.

~v

Thanks for sharing your experiences Shakandra. I don't know what Warlord was like before but I really appreciate the work that resulted in the new rule system. You're right, you don't need support to promote a game. We had 3 from our game club try the game at GenCon and we already have 3 other players with armies and 2 more figuring out what theynwant to play.

The big thing for our group is that we play a lot of games. The ones that stick are more scenario/campaign driven. That's why I decided to fly to ReaperCon this year to hopefully come away with sone ideas.

... That and I me some Texas BBQ ;)

Showing the game in cons is great, but it's not the only - nor the best way to make a game popular in 2012.

If you conquer the internet you will conquer the real world.

I want to follow my example about Corvus Belli.

Corvus Belli is a small company in Galicia, Northwest Spain, Europe. It gots familiar origins (a couple of brother and sister and brother in law along with some friends). It isn't really big these days: the whole company employs 17 workers (along with freelance sculptors and painters).

They began making 15mm historical miniatures. Thanks to the money they earned with this minis they invested into a ci-fi wargame they were working on for several years: Infinity.

I bet you all know about Infinity but, how a humble game like this have become so popular? Internet is the clue.

I don't know how popular Infinity is in the US, but in continental Europe (yup, in UK the whole world seems to go 'round GW stuff) it's kicking hard. And no, there was no need of an organized expedition of physical demos to Germany or France: everything gamers needed was online.

-All the new realeases were published fully painted on their web each month.

-You can buy starter packs AND you can see those packs painted.

-You can see all their Infinity catalogue painted, you can swim on their web and see each faction, see each mini... that temptes you to buy this or that army.

-You can see battle reports on beautiful tables. If you see pictures of a battle on a huge ci-fi city that moves you, it makes it look cool, not "just another skirmish game".

-You can download a free sample pdf rulebook. I must keep focused on how important a free pdf is. People can download a b/w rulebook without full color pictures or so, but they can learn how to play it. Once they have learned about the game they'll buy the miniatures. And, when they are playing it with their friends, they will buy a printed rulebook (yes, because playing with a bunch of photocopies sucks).

Please, think about this: you don't want to sell a rulebook and then sit down to see if people jump into your game, you want them to buy your miniatures. Some people will buy the rulebook and some of then will buy miniatures and start playing it but, what if anybody can get the rulebook? Then anybody could star playing (and buying miniatures)!

It's not an impossible quest, Reaper could make wonderful things if they spend no more than a week of hard work (mostly taking pictures). I've seen their Youtube videos, I've seen their gaming tables... and they rock! And I bet they (workers or friends) own Warlord warbands: just show them to the world!

Make it visually atractive. We live in a visual world. Don't spend time on this, invest time in your game, invest time in your company!

I got a halfing warband painted, my gf's crusaders are nearly finished and I'm working on my Darkreach warband. When I got this work finished I'll share it with the spanish-speaking internet comunity. I think the game is really really cool, I think Reaper's miniatures are among the finest fantasy miniatures around the world, and I want to share this amazing finding. I just wish Warlord wasn't so hard to be found.

PS. Please excuse my awful English :P

Your English was fine Endakil ;)

I agree about infinity. My gaming club was looking for a sci-fi skirmish game and found Infinity online. We downloaded the rules and used proxy models to test them. When we found out we liked it, we asked our local gaming store to carry the figures. Eventually, we all bought the hardcover books too (if we play something, we like to support the company).

We are getting to the point where our models are now getting painted. When we are playing at the game store, people stop to figure out what models we are using. The are used to Games Workshop models and are amazed at the quality (and price) of Reaper Models. Our store still only does special orders but I mostly get mine online. I support my local store with games they carry but rarely use their special order "service". Too much hassle.

However, as the game takes up more space on game days, I hope that the store sees these miniatures as a viable alternative to the other company.

Once we get more of our figures painted, I will start posting battle reports.

I agree with you, Endakil. Free rulebook equals more people playing. More people playing equals more minis being bought. You nailed it. 2012 should belong to Warlord.

I tend to agree with the free rules pdfs. It is the direction the industry is going if you see the signs. The main reason books are printed is to have a rules product available for purchase alongside the miniature product. I think with the layout and lack of massive art sections, the Warlord books are primed to receive the pdf treatment.