RMS Paint Storage

Foxden Racing

I'm looking at my options to store my paints, but would like something that can do double duty as workspace storage and convenient transport. As I weigh my options...how well do RPP droppers take to being stored upside-down? Regardless of what I go with, having a quick way to identify what's in what bottle would be very, very nice.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the 2-3730 Plano® Prolatch™ StowAway® Tackle Box.

It is very close to the Reaper Paint Caddy.

Here in Tulsa I find them at Academy Sports for around $ 8.00 ea.

I have several and Reaper paint dropper bottles fit, no problem.

It will hold over 100 bottles of paint.

Randy

I use an old sketchbox that I got at AC Moore about 5 years ago that I gutted. I used some basswood to make a couple shelves to transport the two 6"x6" white ceramic tiles I use for travel painting. I can carry 192 bottles of paint in the case, and they all stay organized by triad. I use some basswood strips to keep the rows or triads separated. You can easily store the paints upside down, it will have no ill effect. Just make sure they are well shaken because sometimes the agitator will get caught in the tip. I put a colored dot of paint on each cap, and numbered all the triads as they came out: 1A, 1B, 1C. 2A, 2B, etc on the bottom for easier organization.

I usually leave the case closed and store it on top of the washing machine so it gets regular agitation. We do about a load of laundry a day on average. So they all get plenty of agitation.

When I need to use it, just bring it over to the desk, flip up the lid and get to work.

Pics or it didn't happen! wink.gif
I fail to see how a picture of me doing laundry is relevant to the OP. tongue.gif

I'll put forth my vote for the "But It's Funny" clause being applicable!

Anyway...good ideas, one and all...I'd looked at the tackle boxes, but didn't do a deep search. I also didn't think about putting paint on top the W/D [i have one of those over/under front-loader combos in my apartment], mainly because it managed to shake the bottle of detergent off on a regular basis, lord only knows what it'd do to paint pots.

I'd thought about repurposing my ArmyTransport Platoon once I graduate to a bigger one for minis, assuming the foam trays hold more than their dedicated 'paint trays'...but that'd mean buying new foamies at $10 a pop once I switch from pots to droppers...that'll probably end up getting repurposed for my Big Stompy Robots, at least until they graduate to a bigger case as well. Then I don't know what I'll do with it! Maybe give it away to an up-and-coming local, repurpose it again for sci-fi / chronoscope, use it to carry around basing supplies [it looks like the woodland scenics shakers would fit perfectly], I dunno. Got a while to think about that one yet, I've got about a dozen BSRs and exactly 4 chronoscope figs.

Talespinner's box is gorgeous, but my woodworking experience comes from panel-in-frame cabinet doors, not actual boxes. I used to be able to match grain and fit/lay molding with the best of them, but I got out of that some 5 years ago. Is it stained/sealed/both? Otherwise, UV's going to take that gorgeous light cherry and turn it into an oxidized mess really quick.

My brother's very good at working with his hands, though...maybe if I start hinting in the right direction, I might get one for Christmas next year... :devil:

Talespinner's box is gorgeous, but my woodworking experience comes from panel-in-frame cabinet doors, not actual boxes. I used to be able to match grain and fit/lay molding with the best of them, but I got out of that some 5 years ago. Is it stained/sealed/both? Otherwise, UV's going to take that gorgeous light cherry and turn it into an oxidized mess really quick.

My brother's very good at working with his hands, though...maybe if I start hinting in the right direction, I might get one for Christmas next year... ik_devil.gif

Yeah, it is sealed with three coats of Minwax polycrylic. I love that stuff; it's super hard and doesn't yellow over time. The box is now almost 6 years old and it still looks good. The handle has softened to conform to my hand. The wood has darkened a bit, as cherry should do when exposed to light, but if anything it looks better now than when it was new. The box has really held up to the abuse of going to and from work almost everyday for the last 6 years. I've added a few more mini holder to it so I can cary up to three minis now. I've toyed with the concept of making a new, lighter version out of thinner stock, but I love this one too much. rolleyes.gif

Andy

Actually, I'd vote to see a video of Quiksiler doing laundry. Anyone can take pics near a washing machine, watching him actually do it is more credible. On the subject, can I assume the laundry method is for cold and warm water cycles only?

As long as you keep the lid on tight and agitate them on a regular basis, they should be fine.

I use the 2-3730 Plano® Prolatch™ StowAway® Tackle Box.

It is very close to the Reaper Paint Caddy.

Here in Tulsa I find them at Academy Sports for around $ 8.00 ea.

I have several and Reaper paint dropper bottles fit, no problem.

It will hold over 100 bottles of paint.

Randy

For anyone looking to get some of these, I've seen them at Walmart and Menards as well. Might be seasonal at some Walmarts, though. Should be around $6 each.

The case is divided into four long sections which you can further divide with the extra dividers, or not if you prefer to hold more paint. I've put a few Vallejos inside, and they fit tight against the lid. MSPs can slide around.

One slight disadvantage: they don't have handles.

Just for reference, the RMS bottles take up an approximately 1"x1" footprint. It was a challenge finding a storage case that had dimensions divisible by 3 so I could keep my triads together.

The Reaper Logo is one of the window decal stickers from the SWAG program.

post-1365-13244811107584_thumb.jpg

Inside the case:

post-1365-13244811325997_thumb.jpg

Yes, they make medication for my love of organization. Plus, before I added the basswood strips to keep the bottles in place, the paints would get shifted around into an awful jumble, and this allowed me to quickly resort and reorganize the paints.

post-1365-13244811434238_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

You're even using the 'ideal circles' packing method...staggered like that fits more than a grid does, thanks to differences in wasted space.

Way to go guys, you're making my three-cornered cardboard box [the fourth corner has torn, so flaps around] look really lame. :-p Joking aside (though I *do* keep my stuff in a 3-cornered box), it's a whole lot of inspiration; I may have to make a trip to AC Moore once I have cash again (so sometime this coming summer).

But that's a long way out.