Primer is still tacky

Jericho

I usually use GW Primer or Krylon Primer but I ran out of it and realized I had a can of Valspar white primer. I put it on last night before bed and discovered this morning that it is still tacky. Looking online most people quote a 4-5 hour dry time. Krylon and GW usually dries to touch in 30 minutes or so. Any advice? (besides toss the Valspar because I already did).

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

could you read a few specs so we can look up this particular make/model etc.? If it's Enamel primer it could take anywhere from 24 hours - 72 hours (with a rare circumstance taking longer due to temperature and humidity).

Okay it says "premium enamel". So "Premium Enamel Valspar Primer White 65054". Thanks for the enamel tip.

Enamel primer is OK for metal, resin, and most plastic, but not for vinyl kits.

If you used it on a vinyl kit it will never dry.

Randy

It was on a metal miniature. It seems dry now. I am going to give it one more night before I apply paint. I think I am done with enamel primer for now.

Best primer I've used (and have had horrible result when I deviate from it) is Duplicolor Sandable Primer. It's an automotive primer available at your local parts store. Even when I accidentally get too much on the mini it dries so flat that the detail isn't obcured. Usually dry in about 20 minutes, climate depending.

If you search through the board archives there was a great thread a few years ago comparing different primers.

• Like 1