Sign in to follow this  
MonkeySloth

Monkeysloth's Cavalcade of WIPs

Almost finished. Need to go some wood to finished up the inside of the walls so they'll look like they're indoors.

post-6838-0-10206600-1374347027_thumb.jpg

Also started up some water bases to do a tutorial on how I did the pirate captain's base.

• Like 3

Regarding your Pirate Captain. I think your reds need more contrast. The shadows need to be darker and your highlights need to be higher. I would go into the deeper folds with Reaper Crimson Red and a small amount of black. For the highlights, start adding orange to the red, until you are at near orange. This process should take about five layers. Then add a small amount to of yellow to your pure orange to get it very light. You should have 5-7 layers when you're done. Instead of using white on the highest of points, use yellow. This is the method that Heisler taught me and I have found it very effective.

Your base work on him is excellent and well beyond anything I am capable of.

Well it depends on what you're painting to be honest. The boots are two colors because I wanted a shiny black leather and so doing a stark blend between the dark and the light will give me that because that's how the material reflects light. You'll do similar with silk or velvet (but with three colors that are very stark contrast between each other).

As for the highlights. I don't do bright to get contrast, I do color.

post-6838-0-06654700-1352361319_thumb.jpg
Is it conventional? Not really but I threw that out the window a little over a year ago when I decided to paint how I wanted things to look and not how others thought they should. The pirate captain was a speed paint for me (about 6 hours) and thus looks a little conventional--not everything I do can be 30+ hours like the goblin above.
  • Like 9

Over the past few days I've slowly built this up some. Not spending a lot of time on it as it's what I'm working on in-between paint drying\needing a break and other projects.

I lined the "inside" with some balsa wood to make it look more indoors and have starting playing around with some various baking clays making some random stuff that's a mystery! (not really, I know what I'm going to use them for).

post-6838-0-72194800-1374650547_thumb.jpgpost-6838-0-43241200-1374650554.jpg

• Like 6

Is it conventional? Not really but I threw that out the window a little over a year ago when I decided to paint how I wanted things to look and not how others thought they should.

Amen, brother! I was just thinking about this, because this mini popped up on cmon's "blast from the past": http://www.coolminiornot.com/323559 For those playing along at home, go study that and come back.

Hi! Welcome back. I'm not a huge fan of the trend of pushing everything down to black and up to white when it's taken to that extreme. There's a lot of really nice paint jobs that I think are marginalized by how distracting that style is.

I think that's one reason I've been trying to also use colors for contrast rather than tonal value, though be assured I'm working on that, too! Just not to the extreme like the dude I linked.

• Like 1

Agreed on that guy. I think the black to white works well on the black armor and the steel but everything else should have been more natural as it's too harsh in my opinion. I think a lot of people get stuck on the basics of one base coat, shade down darker (to a near black), highlight up to a near white. That a good way to learn as it's easy to work with that type of contrast but it's something I think people should focus less on after their comfortable with shading and highlighting.

I much prefer someone like Ana (from chestofcolors.com) over about half of what you see in the 9+ rating on CMoN.

vorag-champion.jpg

Here's a bust painted up by Nameless, I really like this piece as it shows how he's shading with color and only using a very dark brown where it's almost a liner instead of a shadow yet everything is placed where you'd expect a dark shadow. Lot to learn from it.

http://chestofcolors.com/gallery/nameless-works/collected-works/miniature/image/shaman-bust-jmd-miniatures/

• Like 6

I'm not nearly as advanced a painter as you two are. I'm still struggling with maintaining a grasp on the basics that I have learned. All I know is to go from dark to light and using colours themselves to create contrast is waaaay out of my depth. If I try to think much beyond what I am capable of right now, it does two things: 1. It confuses me and 2. It makes me feel inadequate as a painter. I appreciate the skill it takes to paint at this level, but find it unlikely that I will ever achieve anything remotely like what you two are talking about.

• Like 1

I know that you're a new painter but one of the most important things to achieve, and this can be very hard (took me several years) is to not care how your stuff looks compared to someone else's stuff. Are these things way better then my stuff? Of course. Do I look at it and get a bit depressed that I can't paint at that level? Sometimes but I've come to the realization that if it makes me happy then I've done a good paint job as I've tried to remove the competition aspect of this hobby from my life and that includes thinking "I'll never be that good" or "I have to be that good to be a real painter".

I read too many interviews with top painters that talk about how they don't really care for anything they paint for, that they don't bother keeping anything that wins awards or anything else they paint. That's a sad state to be in and I think it's caused by a love of competition over a love of the art itself

• Like 8

It seems as if every time I feel like I've made progress, I see other peoples work that makes mine look like I'm holding a crayon in my fist like a two year old. Sometimes it does get discouraging. That's when I have to remind myself why I got into the hobby-for the joy that it brings me. To have the opportunity to bring "life" to such beautifully sculpted figures is something I never thought I'd do in a million years.

I don't ever intend to get into competition painting as I know that would just turn it into drudgery for me. While I'd like to improve, I don't have to set the world on fire as a painter. That said, there are techniques that I desire to learn.

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me.

• Like 4

Having that attitude is the right one and you've shown a lot of progress over just what you started posting only what? Two months ago? I think you're doing just fine progress wise (a lot better then me anyway).

Amen.

I gave up trying to paint anything that would win competitions many years ago. Now I aim for something I'm happy with, and I have had people tell me they prefer some of my work over some others that are technically far more advanced.

The thing I do want to improve on is my basing skills. I've often looked at my minis and thought "that would look really cool with a better base", but then my mind completely blanks on what I could do for it. Once I've got more time from everything else going on, I plan to experiment a lot in this regard.

Experimenting and allowing yourself to be put in situations where you're challenged and could fail is the best way yo learn. I've never done anything like the base I'm building in this thread right now but I decided to try and see what I could do if I tried.

Exactly. And playing with lots of different materials to find what works with your styles, what you prefer the look of and so on.

Right now I'm trying to finish one of my larger minis (Trollblood Mountain King from Privateer Press - needs some work on the base!) before my Bones shipment arrives. Having said that, the complete lack of updates on the RoW shipments suggests I've got some time on my hands still.

• Like 1

Having a support group also helps. While I do post here for partly that, the other is for my own personal record, I really get it from my friends in real life in twitter. Getting encouragement from people that you've know for years is a very helpful thing is getting over slumps or challenges.

That being said there are people here on this forum that I've worked up a rapport with to the extent that I get the same encouragement with the plus side of actual honest critique for improvements. Not to say that I would get honest critiques from my friends but we all paint for different reasons so we tend to leave that aspect out of our comments to each other except for when explicitly asked for.

• Like 1

Don't know how I missed out on this discussion, since I check these forums pretty regularly. It is easy to look at figures like what Ana and Marike do and get discouraged. But there are a few easy ways to keep it in perspective - these folks have been doing it for a LONG time, and do it full time. It's basically their job. Anyone could achieve a pretty high level of paint with that many hours put into it (not to take away from them, of course). Also, a lot of times when you see their work it's only in photos. Photos can make or break a mini - I've seen figures that are amazing in hand, but look poorer in photos due to difficulty photographing the subject or lack of skill on the part of the photographer (or both). Then there are the minis that look amazing in photos, but once you see them in person they're taken down a notch. You can't make a subpar mini a championship winner without a lot of photoshopping, but you can take an 8 and make it a 9.

I don't do competitions much because I don't like working under a deadline, but I every so often I like to really push myself with a mini and see how awesome I can make it. I've made a lot of progress that way.