Sign in to follow this  
MonkeySloth

Monkeysloth's Cavalcade of WIPs

Had an update all ready to go last night and then the forums went down so you're all getting it tonight! Haha!

Didn't paint much as I'm starting to phase out of "only" painting mode and have finally picked back up Darksouls 2 so expect a slower turn for a few weeks as I've got several I've got lined up to play.

That being said I've still made a lot of good progress:

Basically both of the two figures for my players are done and I just need to take some good pictures sometime for show off. Maybe this weekend.

Humm. Not much else to say here as I just finished off the leather on Buck and that was a mix of Reaper Ruddy leather, oiled leather, and a few flesh tones and I just worked back and forth between them all making sure to keep things rough.

The bases of both are Vallajo Stone+ Scale Color Sahara Yellow of various levels and washed with Secret Weapon Sewer Water up to Reaper splintered bone.

Sorry the pics are a bit meh, as I said I'll need to retake them with a better setup sometime soon.

post-6838-0-40771000-1399963512.jpg

I really wasted a lot of time this weekend thinking about what I wanted to paint next and I decided I needed to do some NMM since I wasn't able to do so on the Orc. After rummaging around in my boxes I settled on Ylvfriodr of Ulfrstadt from Red box games. Tre's site is interesting as some of his minis that are shown in the "green" don't looks like what the final is. She's one of them where the sleeves are chain instead of fabric and the cloak is slightly different--but she's got enough metal to wet my pallet so to speak.

To start off I decided to try a smaller display base, I had picked up some 1" cubes months ago and haven't used any yet and she's rather small so she fits quite nicely on one. The popular thing to do with the cubes is to sand down one corner and add a little bit of landscape to that. I made on that way and wondered what it would look like if I took out a chunk from under the base as well so I've got two different styles that I'll need to decide on.

post-6838-0-81357300-1399963950.jpg

So I started her up and holy crap those eyes are small. I wonder sometimes if sculptors will make them that small if they were forced to paint them. Anyway it took me about 40 minutes to get them how I wanted them (and I'm still not 100% sold on them) as the right eye (to you) just wouldn't go in. Might want to change the left one some.

The skin is reaper Rosy skin over gory red and brown liner. The red isn't really showing through anymore but I think it make the base go on a bit better. The shades are a change in pace for me and are rosy skin + brown liner and then I highlighted up to P3 Ryn Flesh and then finally white. Quite like how it looks as it's given me a female flesh that I've been wanting to replicate for a while but haven't been able to get it right. I find it funny that I had to remove color from the shade to get it right as normally the very pale highlights don't work (so I've never finished them) other wise.

The skin is a tad bit washed out due to the lack of any other color (and all that white) and should start looking better as I put color on her.

post-6838-0-15419200-1399964258_thumb.jpg

I did some more on her today painting the tunic and skirt blue but it's not done and I really only painted for about an hour. I'll get some photos up tomorrow as I should get another hour or two in then.

Edited by MonkeySloth
  • Like 14

Steal.  I think there's some room for gold on the hilt and buckles and maybe the dagger.  I painted her chest as a tabbard, it's hard to tell if that's cloth or metal, as I wanted to have a break up in the steel colors.

• Like 2

OK. A little more done tonight.

Finished up the blue that I had started the other day. The base is Scalecolor Mediterranean Blue shaded down with Scalecolor violet. Highlights are working up to Scalecolor Sky Blue with a final highlight of Scalecolor Nacar which works great as a highlight, better then most off whites, as it blends in quite well with many different colors. So far I think it's the best thing I've got from the Scalecolor line. The highlights are a bit washed out on the skirt but I probably need to bring them up some as they're really not as strong in the photo as in real life.

The pants and arm are a base of Scalecolor Ardennes Green shaded down with a mix of the base+ Reaper Splattered Crimson and highlighted up to base+ a little of reaper Gory Red + Reaper Splintered Bone highlighted up to Reaper Splintered bone.

The cloak is Scalecolor Violet as a base.

I realized the other day that, despite her image on the website, her sword hand is not gloved so I'll need to mix up some more skin tones sometime. Also think I missed a bit of skin around the neck as well. Got to love tiny sculpts.

post-6838-0-64459400-1400050509.jpg

I'm heavily considering some freehand on the skirt and cloak but I can't think of anything for the chest area which would probably need some too.

Also I'm thinking the eyes might be against the motion of the sculpt? Thoughts.

Edited by MonkeySloth
  • Like 10

I would go against freehanding anything on the chest since a lot of it ends up getting covered by the shield on that model. If you were looking for some freehand in that region I think a design on the shield is the way to go

• Like 3

I'm heavily considering some freehand on the skirt and cloak but I can't think of anything for the chest area which would probably need some too.

Also I'm thinking the eyes might be against the motion of the sculpt? Thoughts.

If you go with some kind of all-over pattern on the skirt, then that could continue up on the chest area, since they look like the same fabric, if not the same article if clothing. Or you could treat it as a tabard-like garment and put an insignia on the chest.

As far as the eyes, it seems from the photo that she's looking over her shoulder. The folds in the fabric look to as though they would agree with the motion of her completing a turn from that direction, so they work for me with the idea she's looking back.

I love the richness of that blue!

Edited for logic and typos.

Edited by Nissiana
  • Like 3

Those are great, agreed. I just see the coat as a grey overcoat instead of a white lab coat.

Thanks.  I think it's my best white to date.

Those are great, agreed. I just see the coat as a grey overcoat instead of a white lab coat.

Valid point.  I have a pattern for the shield that I know I can paint, nothing fancy but it will look good,  which is why i thinking I need some designs elsewhere.

As far as the eyes, it seems from the photo that she's looking over her shoulder. The folds in the fabric look to as though they would agree with the motion of her completing a turn from that direction, so they work for me with the idea she's looking back.

I love the richness of that blue!

OK, good. Thanks!

Played around with the purple tonight. I've never really painted it before that I can recall so it really took me a bit to get some of the transitions the way I wanted them. Then, of course, I take a picture of what I've been working on and it's barely showing up in the photo. :grr:

So now I'm going to have to refactor some things as it's not as easy to blend as I was hoping.  Plus the cloak is very busy which makes it hard to get all the highlights where they should be.  Hoping to get back on this come Friday.  Got family in town this weekend so my goal is getting all the non-metals done so I can do the NMM next week.

post-6838-0-06434600-1400136371.jpg

• Like 8

OK. It's been a bit. Was going to do an update Friday but couldn't get the purple to photograph well so I decided not to make a post.

Speaking of purple. It's all Scalecolor this time around with the base being violet, shaded down with mixes of cantabric blue and Abyssal blue to straight abyssal blue and eclipse gray. Highlights are a mix of violet and sky blue and then that mix with some Nacar and then that mix with some white.

The fur is based off of the green I already have (and I'm probably going to redo the green sleeve). It's Scale Color Field Gray shaded down with Secret Weapon Red Black and GW Devlin Mud. Brought back up to field Gray and then Reaper Pale Lichen and Reaper Leather white. I used Secret Weapon hard body black to add further shading and definition.

The hair is Scalecolor Kalahari Orange shaded with Secret Weapon Red black, GW Devlin mud and Secret Weapon Hard Body Black. Highlights are the base with Scale Color Tenere yellow up to a more Tenere yellow mix then pure white. Went back with the black wash to define again. Looks like I need to clean things up on the front of the hair some.

post-6838-0-44495900-1400482396_thumb.jpg

Expecting Tuesday to be done with the leather but I might have enough time tomorrow.

• Like 17

Liking the way this is turning out so far.  I haven't given purple a shot yet so I don't have a whole lot of advice for you there.  Although I now want to give it a try.  Maybe after I finish up some of my bench queens first.

Also, not sure if it my monitor, but are the blue of the tunic (mostly the chest area) and the purple of the cloak too close together tonally?  It looks ok when I blow up the picture, but at the posted size it kinda reads as similar values.  Could also be a factor of the picture.  Lord know my crappy camera make everything look different.

• Like 1

That purple looks great, and the blue as well. I am not very convinced about the rest, it looks washed out. And that is odd, because from your description you went high enough on the highlights!!

• Like 1

Liking the way this is turning out so far.  I haven't given purple a shot yet so I don't have a whole lot of advice for you there.  Although I now want to give it a try.  Maybe after I finish up some of my bench queens first.

Also, not sure if it my monitor, but are the blue of the tunic (mostly the chest area) and the purple of the cloak too close together tonally?  It looks ok when I blow up the picture, but at the posted size it kinda reads as similar values.  Could also be a factor of the picture.  Lord know my crappy camera make everything look different.

They are sharing some colors.  The blue is using violet, and the colors I used in the shading for the violet, as it's shading.  Highlights are mostly different though.  The big shield that covers the front will break this up as the area's where the to colors meet aren't really shaded properly because they'll be covered but said shield--which will be different colors.

That purple looks great, and the blue as well. I am not very convinced about the rest, it looks washed out. And that is odd, because from your description you went high enough on the highlights!!

I think it's the green and the face that's causing that problem for you.  I 'm going to improve the greens (except the fur which is how I want it) and the face is just pale against a whitish background.  I was hoping a deep red hair color would help fix the face problems--which I think it has, but clearly there are still some issues with the skin.

• Like 3

It is very interesting how something that looked excellent on its own (like your face here) washes out when you paint surrounding areas in more strong hues. 

Another reason why sometimes you need to step back, paint some other pieces, and then do the final highlights/shadows. It usually happens to me with faces too, that I try to emphasize... they look properly contrasted until you do rest of the skin, or the clothes, and then you realize that you need more contrast there still.

The red hair is helping frame it, but I would think that it being so strong it also helps mute the face. Looking at it again, I think I am missing shadows, mostly, under the chin, under the rim of the cap, sides of the nose... 

Just IMHO, of course  ^_^

• Like 1