Tobias Winterthorn

I kind of had to paint this guy! Not overjoyed with the base, but I wanted a sort of swampy treestump thing, made from a piece of pine bark I collected. Lemme know what you think.

elf_watcher.JPG

I'll try and get a better photo soon, without the wierd and dazzling light reflections on the cloak and spear, but didn't have much time to get the photos and really wanted to get some feedback and show-it-off now now now :lol:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like what you've done with the base and honestly, this is a mini I would have previously overlooked were it not for your work. Nothing related to your painting, but I've never liked the cloak on this mini b/c it is so stiff it makes me think he's standing in a typhoon or something.

I think that's kind of what I like about it. I see it more like he's just thrown his cloak back and swung his spear into the air ready to leap forth, HA-HA!

It is a little stiff maybe, but for me it works well enough with the overall dynamic of the piece. Glad you like the base though, I'm still not 100% on it, maybe its not quite 'dirty' enough?

Wow, thanks for all the positives guys, its awesome!

@everyone - I'm glad there's been good response for the base. I think its the one area of minis that I can never feel quite satisfied about and am constantly trying to improve. That's why I went for the real pine bark - try something slightly crazy and new! Since you all seem to like it, I think its growing on me... excuse the unintended pun, haha!

@Nameless, yeah, I think if I'd had a drop of red on the palette as well then it could have been much improved, but I thought that a red/brown would be enough - guess not! I do agree though, I was hoping to squeeze a bit more variety out of the colours. His trousers, for instance, I was hoping for a tint more towards purple/brown, and his spear could have used a touch richer tonal change into the reddy bits to make it a bit more like yew wood. Oh well, we paint and we learn!

@Neatpete - I'll try and grab a shot from the back as well when I get a chance - unfortunately I seem to have misplaced the other photos... only the computer spirit knows how! I had at least 3 shots from all angles but whaddya know they've disappeared into the mindless disorganization of my hard drive and file naming system (or lack thereof!) That or I deleted them by accident in a state of exhaustion this week since I've done far too many hours work :(