Comparative merits of Reaper figures (split from Reaper's New Look)

Personally, I like my fantasy realistic (and yes I know that is a bit of an oxymoron). I've never liked GW's style, except for the minis they produced for LOTR, which were great. The style exhibited by most of Reaper's sculptors fits my view of my fantasy world and makes me want to paint them. Very seldom does GW make something that interests me at all, and when they do, usually it is so expensive that the interest drains away quite rapidly.

I also like the way Reaper gives an outlet for the freelance miniature artist. Instead of forcing the designers and sculptors to always meet their styles, they buy art from many different sculptors, much of which came from the sculptors own ideas.

I guess I'm a Reaper fanboy.

Andy

I only play RPGs like D&D or GURPS, so I really could care less about any gaming system that is behind a mini line, because I won't be playing it. But I do like a variety of mini styles and purchase GW, mostly in plastic, and mostly for the interesting bits they include on their sprues that I use for modding, kinda like Reaper's accessory packs, but not as convenient. I have been to GW cons, though only because my FLGS got me free tickets, and enjoyed myself. I skipped right by all the games and sales kiosks and go to the in con painting and modding sections, where they give you gobs of sprues in a competition to make something unique in a few hours. This is the main reason I like GW, is the customability of the minis.

Now as to the style of GW, I am constantly shaving off excessive skulls an repositioning people's necks with putty so their heads aren't coming out of their chests. Who actually likes this style?

That said, Reaper is still my #1 metal minis producer.

Halber

From my perspective, I don't think that GW models are superior to Reaper or Privateer Press miniatures. I'd honestly put the three companies on a general even playing field in terms of quality.

The advantage that I see to Reaper and Privateer Press over GW, would relate to the fact that I find my Reaper and PP models have slightly more detail as it relates to DnD characters. I also think that each company has stylistic differences that make me buy more Reaper minis (80%), then PP (18%), then lastly GW (2%) minis.

Stylistically:

-Reaper minis are are wide selection of classic and neo-DnD that suit almost all my needs.

-PP minis tend to be slightly more steampunk, but are also great minis, and are slightly more exotic.

-GW minis tend to be more campy, and have over-exaggerated features that make me think more of comical/spoof fantasy gaming.

I truly despise GW's style. It's solely personal opinion, obviously, but their style really sets my teeth on edge. The one exception is their LotR line. Those are some beautiful minis, but I wouldn't say they're any better quality than Reaper. Reaper, like any other company makes some figures I don't like. Some of their minis are somewhat over the top (giant anime swords, etc.), but they produce far more minis in a style that I do like.

However, as others have stated, the biggest difference to me is the quality of the company and the people that comprise it. GW's customer service may be good, I've never had occasion to find out, but I can guarantee it isn't better than Reaper's customer service. But GW's other practices turn me off even more than their figure style. 25 dollars for a resin man-sized figure simply because he costs more points in their game? Gimme a break! On the other hand, when the price of tin started climbing, what did Reaper do? They gave their customers the option of buying many of the figures in a lower-tin-content version to help bring prices down. Now that is a win!

• Like 1

Looking at this thread, I think we can all say that "beuty is in the eye of the beholder".

Both companies make miniatures that satisfy a lot of people. It all depends on what you are into.

For me, I will no longer deal with GW products. This was a hard decision for me to make as it was my first love when I started gaming. However, I can no longer condone their business practices or the way they treat their customers. I have to vote with my dollars and say that I refuse to pay their prices for miniatures which are poorly cast and becoming harder for my local game store to supply. If you are willing to do this - fine. Each of us decides what our limits are and what we are willing to deal with in our hobby. No one is right or wrong, just different.

Reaper offers quality miniatures which span a number of genres and artistic styles. I will move on to systems like Savage Worlds and G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. that support these varied products and follow the artists that I find interesting.

In terms of people buying 'sub' Games Workshop figures, yes, yes they do. There are companies who existance depends on it. For examle, Avatars of War are not only sculpted to look in the same fashion, but have several figures, if not the entire line, that plug right into Warhammer. Kabuki Models has numerous Knights of Legend which appear to me, to be Space Marines. Ditto for Hitech. Mantic appears to be making a name for themselves first by doing core armies on the cheap, and then by doing armies that Games Workshop isn't supporting like the 'stunties', space skaven, and chaos dwarves. This doesn't count some of the brand new up and comers who may or may not make it like Titan Forge whose ogre line is if not explicity designed for Ogre Kingdoms, so heavily inspired by it that they may as well be. and note, that's just figures. there are several companies out there making a pretty penny making bases and terrain pieces to go along with these figures including Dragon Forge and Secret Weapon. If Reaper hasn't found success it's because they're not marketing them correctly or aren't doing them in the proper style.

In terms of buying Reaper versus Games Workshop, m'eh? I buy miniatures from all over the place. I buy miniatures that look interesting. I buy miniatures that I can use in my role playing games. I buy miniatures to support adventurers I'm running. I buy miniatures for the players or recommend them to players.

Reaper certainly has a broader net, so if I'm running something Western, they'll probably get money from me before Games Workshop does. Or something that involves Super Heroes. Or something that involves Mice.

Games Workshop gets my money when they come out with some fierce butt beast that I want to pop into an army or scare the crap out of players in a RPG with.

when the price of tin started climbing, what did Reaper do? They gave their customers the option of buying many of the figures in a lower-tin-content version to help bring prices down. Now that is a win!

A most excellent point, and one that I had not thought of.

I really like Reaper's variety and greater sense of general fantasy, where you're apt to find just about anything, not just something related to a game, but I guess the two companies' goals are a bit different. I don't really buy Games Workshop stuff other than I'd purchased some of their Lord of the Rings stuff, which I really like. I've found myself missing the old Citadel models. I've got some of that stuff hanging around which I someday mean to paint, whenever I get around to it.

I personally buy miniatures that I want to paint. I tried Warhammer (too many rules), I tried WH40K(only played for a year, spent a ton of $$ on a SM army, assembled and never painted), have yet to try Warlord (I live in a rural area), played Warmachine once (had Menoth, just sold on eBay), and just bought the new Pathfinder beginner box from Paizo. My kids are really getting into RPGs and both want to paint minis. I found that Reaper makes minis for use in the game and they have a GREAT line of RPG minis. When my son saw a wizard mini that matched the image in his head of his wizard character, he was ecstatic! So...bottom line...I will buy minis that I think look interesting and are interesting to paint regardless of what company they come from. Reaper is #1 in my book when it comes to nurturing a relationship between company and customer. A lot of other companies could learn a thing or two from Reaper.