Two Cav "newbie" questions

Steven Page

I've taken the CAV plunge, after 17 monthes of DHA and Warlord. I have the rulebook, JOR1, and 7 CAVs, 2 tanks, and three packs of infantry and support troops.

Are there any published scenarios? Or is it a case of "buy X# points and go at it"?

How do you organize infantry units? I gather four stands is a section. If you buy "heavy weapons" do you set up a separate HW section, or do most of you integrate one HW model into the infantry section?

Do you mount the four different HW figures from a sprue on one base, or mount each type as a separate base?How many different weapons on the base can fire each turn? An example: a model with anAA52,an AT23, a 1A2 GL, and an FA45 MG?

Finally, a model with two heavy mortars on the base: Do you buy an infantry model for 38 points, then ad 39 points to get a total of 77 for the mortar base, or add 78 for TWO mortars and a total of 116? Does the base fire once or twice per turn?

Sorry to ask so much so early, but I want to start out riight. Thanks for the help in advance.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've taken the CAV plunge, after 17 monthes of DHA and Warlord. I have the rulebook, JOR1, and 7 CAVs, 2 tanks, and three packs of infantry and support troops.

Woohoo!

Are there any published scenarios? Or is it a case of "buy X# points and go at it"?

There aren't any official published scenarios. Look for scenarios in Rules of Engagement, due out October 03. :unsure:

How do you organize infantry units? I gather four stands is a section. If you buy "heavy weapons" do you set up a separate HW section, or do most of you integrate one HW model into the infantry section?

Four stands of anything is a section. I tend to group my Infantry as three stands of light infantry with a Badger or Hedgehog, or three stands of heavy infantry with mortars and a Panther or Sovreign III.

As far as how to assemble the models, I have a few "bare" light infantry, a vew "bare" heavy infantry, and then a bunch with at least one of each type of weapon.

Actually, I have stands with frogs on them, and what they're carrying is obvious. IF I need a different mix, I cast more. then again, I'm a freak.

Do you mount the four different HW figures from a sprue on one base, or mount each type as a separate base?How many different weapons on the base can fire each turn? An example: a model with anAA52,an AT23, a 1A2 GL, and an FA45 MG?

A stand (however many models you want to put on one base) of infantry can fire each model listed on its data card. The models themselves are often an abstraction.

Finally, a model with two heavy mortars on the base: Do you buy an infantry model for 38 points, then ad 39 points to get a total of 77 for the mortar base, or add 78 for TWO mortars and a total of 116? Does the base fire once or twice per turn?

Buy the infantry model, subtract the points cost for each weapon you are removing, then add the points cost for each new weapon you put on.

Sorry to ask so much so early, but I want to start out riight. Thanks for the help in advance.

Not a problem.

There aren't any official published scenarios. Look for scenarios in Rules of Engagement, due out October 03. :unsure:

Frosh I beg to differ with you there brother, I seem to recall that there are a few published scenarios that are about as offical as they come because they are in the "Casket Works". "Assault on New Mephis" Casket Works #9 and I beleve that there is one more in like Casket Works #11 title eludes me at the current time.

While it is not offical, it is a blast of a good time, check out the link to my page and go to the league page using the buttons. There is a full set of campaign rules that you can try with the sample map.

Thanks Sparky. That is a very good home page. I've marked it and will print the campaign rules.

I guess what is so refreshingly different is that we can build our forces almost any way we wish, as long as we follow the 4/section rule. After decades of memorizing historical TO&Es, then finding other sci-fi systems as dogmatic as RL, this takes a little getting used to. I think I'm going to like this a lot.

So Steven, you finally sucumbed to the Great Ogre's influence huh. I always knew you would, eventually :o)

*Insert evil laugh here, but not too evil*

The other questions have been answered, so I'll ignore them. But scenarios is still a major issue in CAV.

Frosch is right, there's no real scenarios to speak of, but Sparky is right to point out the two which have appeared in Casket Works over the past year. Use those at your peril.

We, as in members of Black Lightining, tend to write our own scenarios. I almost always do, and sometimes I even write it down on paper or remember it after the game enough to do so. I guess we (BL) should badger Kit for a 'Sci-Fi Scenarios' section on the website somewhere to allow players such as yourself from getting hold of some pre-written (and as official as we're gonna get right now) scnearios.

Rules of Engagement, due out September or October 2003, contains camapign rules and scenarios for CAV.... one of which appeared in CW.

If you want any help with the scenario (your best bet is to watch some films and get inspiration from them) then gimme a PM. I'm always available to help :o)