02143: Elladan Of Silveroak

Nice start. This reminds me so much of my work when i first started using washes. Many articles on washes say to use them liberally all of the area, but I have found that washes work best when carefully applied. On your next miniature try applying a dark brown (brown/black) wash on all of the defining lines on the miniature. By this i mean where his face his his hair, his arm his his sleeve, his cloak hits his tunic etc. It will create an outline effect that will help give specific definition to each part of the mini. You should carefully apply this so the wash goes to those spots you want it without pooling or covering areas you do not want it. Keep practicing and see if you can meet local painters to watch and share with. Thank you for sharing

• Like 1
On your next miniature try applying a dark brown (brown/black) wash on all of the defining lines on the miniature.

First, thanks for the encouragement and the tip. When is the best time to apply the wash? After I've done all of the base-coating?

Hey, you gotta start somewhere! He looks a lot like my early work, except that mine was in 54mm.

I'm no expert, but I would say the first thing you need is to go a bit thinner with the paint. You can thin the paint by adding water, but this is a little more difficult as it tends behave a lot like a wash, so you have to be really careful. An easier way is to simply be very careful with the amout of paint you put on your brush at one time, and to keep cleaning your brush as you work to prevent a buildup of excess paint.

I do my lining after my base work and before all of the highlighting. I am sure other painters do it in a different order. I also agree with the comment about thinning your paint. This is something you need to play with on your own and get a feel for how the paint works with your brushes and your technique. It should flow out of your brush not glob onto it. Keep sharing, it is amazing how quickly you can improve once you get a few techniques down. It is very hard to learn strictly from reading so don't be afraid to ask questions in the tip section or to post oils in the work in progress section.

I would say you are off to a good start. I agree with everyone as to their tips. I would add that you need to use a dull coat to keep the sheen down, especially on the cloth and skin areas. For now I would steer away from blending, but good control of washes for shading and dry brushing for highlights are good areas to work on now. Once you have that down, you can start working on more advanced techniques. Above all, have fun! If you like your efforts and it works for what you were trying to do, then you've done good.

• 2 weeks later...

Good start.

Aside from other very useful tips. Might I recommend thinning out your paints a little. Not a lot, for glazing or washing, but a little bit of water, or flow improver can go a long way to preserve your miniatures natural details. Like Inarah said, you got all the paint in the right places. If the paint were thinner, you might see some cleaner results.

Also, you can get washes in different colors. So you don't have to wash the whole mini with the same color. This is particularly good for fleshy (or other generally lighter) areas that you don't want to over darken with washes.

Patience and Practice. Some days you will hate it.

Keep at it! Cheers!

- Fitz