Hello! I just started painting and working with acrylic paints this month. Sharing my work so I can get some feedback and comments.

I just finished this pack of Kobolds this weekend. These little guys are Ben Stein's "Kobold Raiders" #02470. My D&D DM wanted reptilian kobolds rather than rat-like ones. I decided to speckled them and add some muddy brown over tones to make them more distinguished from green orcs and goblins. The small scale of these minis presented a challenge, but I'm pleased with the results.

Kobolds.jpg

Kobold6.jpg

Kobold5.jpg

This is a wizard I finished last weekend and my first attempt at painting a hero class. This mini was a gift, so I'm not sure of his origins. This was my first attempt at wet blending for shadows. I only own a very cheap set of craft acrylic paint from Michael's, so mixing colors for different shades was a learning experience for this mini. Overall, I think his color selection makes him look very regal. :)

Wizard1.jpgWizard2.jpg

And three weeks ago... the first group of minis I've ever painted. These are Bob Olley's "Orcs w/Spears" #06026. Because this was my first time painting I thought Orcs would be a safe bet because they are supposed to look a little rough around the edges. I didn't know what wet blending was, or how to paint eyes to name a few things. The idea was to pick up a paint brush and see what I could do. I normally work with pens and pencils on paper so painting was a new venture for me.

OrcRaidingParty.jpg

Comparing the orcs to the kobolds I just finished yesterday I'm happy with the progress I've made in a few short weeks, but there's a lot more to learn. Comments and suggestions would be great!

One of my bigger questions right now is what sealants do people normally use? The spray can craft store brand I have right now has an annoying tendency to strip off a lot of the dry brush highlights I've painted on. The sealant also adds a very glossy appearance which created a bit of glare when trying to photograph the finished product.

• Like 1
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good. Keep going, keep trying new techniques.

I use Rustoleum Crystal Clear, from the hardware store, to seal my figures. Unfortunately if your highlights are very delicate some of the detail does get obscurred by the coating. You'll learn how to adjustyour highlighting to compensate. I do a final coating (actually 2-3 light coats) of Testor's Dulcote (from Michael's or a hobby shop) to take off the shine.

These are all amazing beginnings to what looks to be a nice mini painting future!! I love the color concept you designed for the kobolds. It's really fun to see older monster models getting new life. The wizard's cloak is an excellent start.

Yes, welcome to the forums! Great job with your minis; I only WISH my first mini's looked that good! Your wizard's cloak is especially good. ::):

As far as tips go, I'd second joshuaslater and highly suggest experimenting with darklining on your next models. (i.e. washing or carefully painting a thin line of dark paint into the transition area between different colored items. Or, if you use a dark basecoat like a some people do, you can just leave some of that dark paint showing in the recesses between items.)

Keep up the great work!

How many coats of clear sealant do you all recommend? Because the sealant dulled out some dry brush highlights I only put one coat on. This worked fine for the wizard I painted, but sadly several of the kobolds I painted started to peel and chip last night. I think I'll need to invest in some higher quality paints soon too.

Welcome to the forum. As a relative newbie here myself, I can honestly say that this is a very welcoming community.

Your first figures look great! You already have good brush control. The blending and glazing stuff will come naturally as you practice more.

If your paint started to peal/chip, it can be a couple of things. Did you use a primer base coat before you painted? If yes, perhaps the one coat you put on was too thick. I'm very impatient and have learned the hard way that thin layers multiple times works best instead of a lot of paint all at once.

I hope you enjoy yourself and look forward seeing more figures in the future!

MiniCannuck - Yes, I used a white primer on all of my minis. I thin my paints out with a few drops of water so it doesn't go on very thick. If one coat of sealant is normally enough then perhaps it's just a paint quality issue. I didn't know how much I would enjoy this hobby when I started so grabbed some cheap acrylic paint at Michaels. It just doesn't compare to one of the samples Reapers sent me, but I haven't had the extra cash to purchase the full set of colors I want yet.

How many coats of clear sealant do you all recommend? Because the sealant dulled out some dry brush highlights I only put one coat on. This worked fine for the wizard I painted, but sadly several of the kobolds I painted started to peel and chip last night. I think I'll need to invest in some higher quality paints soon too.

Gloss varnish is tougher than matt, so if you want good protection give it a coat of gloss varnish, followed by (let it dry fully first!) a coat of matt. Some people, who perhaps don't need as much protection, will use a couple of coats of just matt, but if it's being used for gaming it needs a harder coat. Don't spray each coat on too thickly when you do it.

Ishil