New Here :)

ZabbyMonky

Looks very good!

For primer, I have switched to using the $0.99 black from Wal-Mart, or, get this, best primer out there - Duplicolor Sandable White Primer, from an auto-parts store. Goes on in the cold or heat, always a smooth finish. Big can for not too much - I think $6, but more paint than anything from a hobby store. Looks funny going ot - like it didn't cover all the way, but dries top notch.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, I have to agree with the esteemed Dr. Bedlam in that primer is just a matter of taste. I use GW Chaos Black primer for all of my models and love everything about it except for it's LUDICROUSLY high price tag, but I've used it for so long and with such success that I'm scared to change (if it's not broke, don't fix it, right?). However, back in the day, I used to use Testors flat black with good success. So, basically, my advice is this: start with whatever is cheap and easily available and see if it works for you, if not, just move on to the next one.

Also, really don't be afraid to use some nail polish remover (a.k.a. acetone, like mercoutlaw mentioned) for recovering those models lost to your spray paint trials; they'll come through the process in pretty good shape if they're metal models (though don't use it for plastic models).

Keep up the good work!

I recently recovered the very first miniatures I ever bought. They were caked in so much primer and hobby paint (no, thinning didn't occur to me) that they were vaguely humanoid blobbish lumps. Dumped them in Simple Green, quick scrub, and good to go. Slap on some new primer, and you're golden.