Crusader/Hellknight - model unknown

Here's my latest project. I was trying for a less-shiny appearance as well as a lot less wash-effect. While the tunic does look sloppy, I was going for a muddy/worn look. Overall I'm pretty happy with how this guy is progressing. Any tips or critique would be much appreciated.

HellknightCrusader6s.jpg

HellknightCrusader5s.jpg

HellknightCrusader4s.jpg

HellknightCrusader3s.jpg

HellknightCrusader2s.jpg

HellknightCrusader1s.jpg

Love how the armor turned out.

Thank you - I used Mithral Silver and then a brown wash (Devlan Mud) and after all of that I tried my hand at some discreet black dry brushing.

I'm disappointed in the sloppy look of the yellow trim on his tunic.

Another way to deal with translucent yellows is to put down a close-to-yellow opaque color first and to layer yellow on top of it. Ochre gold colors work well as a base layer, or a white or pastel yellow if you want it brighter.

I have a nice ochre too, wish I'd thought of that. :)

One trick for yellows I've found helpful (at least in my mediocre skills) is using a hint of orange or red basing it. The layers you need then seem to grow into it/over it.

The only other color that I've used with success as a base for yellow has been a burnt umber from a non-miniature painting tube. It worked wonders, and the yellow really showed, and the dark umber acted as a dark lining to make it pop even more.

Hope that helps.

The only other color that I've used with success as a base for yellow has been a burnt umber from a non-miniature painting tube. It worked wonders, and the yellow really showed, and the dark umber acted as a dark lining to make it pop even more.

Hope that helps.

It does help, quite a bit. Based on what you're saying and what Serenity said, I need to use a darker yellowish color as an under-layer. Next time I work with yellow that's exactly what I'll do.