Got my hands on Ral Partha's Slave Auction

Beowulfthehunter

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't there an original release, and then a second release of this as well?

I guess what you do with it might also depend on that. Meaning if it was the first release and it's collectible, you could sell it, buy a copy of the 2nd release which has the same minis and paint it for yourself and turn a small profit.

Sort of, Mike. The set was LE, but only 4000 or something of the full print run were released under RP. IWM came across the remainder of the cerficates for the run, and produced the remaining sets in a new box with a bonus mini (a winged model) sculpted by Dennis. Technically, they are all part of the LE run, but they were produced at different times, with different contents, and packaged in different boxes.

In addition, there were also 200 sets in the original packaging that were sent to Dennis as "artist proof" copies; these were individually signed and number by Dennis on the certificates. When Jim at Darksword started working with Dennis to produce his miniature line, he acted as a clearing house for a number of those sets.

~v

So all that being said, which one did you end up scoring, the earlier release or the later release with the winged slave? I've got this set at home from the earlier release. One of my first purchases on E-Bay way back when. For whatever bizarre reason I really wanted to get the set, got it eventually, paid too much for it and then never really did anything with it. The figures aren't even in the box, they are just in one of the many drawers I have full of miniatures. I don't take very organized care of my "collectibles", I guess.

I'd say if you have the time and energy, go ahead and paint it. If you're already roundly mocked, what's a little more abuse? The advantage of the set is that, well, it's got a bunch of naked mammals in it, so for the most part, with the exceptions of the guards and slavers, it's mostly just painting skin, faces, hair and a chain now and again...

I ended up with the orignal. One of the guys I game with brought a huge box of OOP Partha stuff as well some odds and ends. He wanted to get rid of them and give them to us until I explained that he had things like the Mithril Hobbit box, Citadel Talismin figures, Sealed AD&D 2nd Ral Partha figures from Ravenloft, Dragonlance, Plansescape and such, and a few other items. I told him that stuff should go on Ebay.

He had the Slave Auction opened, but complete (even though he thought a piece was missing) with the cert and foam box it came in. I guess he bougt it for 5 bucks and we agreed that I would paint up Raistlin and Tika from the Heros of the Lance box for it. Given that they are also OOP and I would never get another chance I thought this more than fair. I also ended up with an Early Klocke from RAFM (she is some horned chaos chick thowing up the devil horns sign).

What would be a fair asking price for this item?

Truth be told I want to keep it, but I am not sure how to paint it up. Part of me wants to make it into a Diorama the other part wants to keep a few for myself and be done with it.

How do people just coincidentally fall into these miniatures? I must just not get out enough. There has to be huge treasure troves of these miniatures out there forgotten about just waiting to be found. How come I never come upon them?

I hate to admit it but I think years ago, I foolishly paid $105.00 for the set on E-Bay. Like was mentioned above, the version on sale via Iron Wind costs $75.00 and has an extra figure in it.