Dem Bones

wildbill

Question for the powers-that-be...

I assume that there is a pretty high threshold that a miniature has to sell to be worth making in Bones. I'm sure some of that is proprietary info, but about how big a seller does a figure have to be to be worth making in bones?

I'll second that question, as it is of interest, but if it's top secret, I can live without the answer.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So my Kobolds arrived and they are very spiffy. I have to disagree a bit with the advertising tage "Yesterday's Prices, Today's Quality." It's a bit more "Yesterday's Prices, Yesterday's Quality." I have plenty of old Grenadier and Ral Partha soft lead models that have about the same level of quality as these Bones models, and the plastic just doesn't hold sharp details the way metal does. That said, these are still an amazing model for the price. I will definitely be picking up more kobolds, and as the line expands I will probably pick up more stuff.

I hope Reaper does some nice kobold character models. These Bones figures will make excellent rank and file, but I'd love to have a really nice metal chieftain and shaman to stick out in front of them.

ETA: I'm dumb. I should have checked first, totally forgot there is a metal two-pack with a leader and shaman. Hurr Durr.

• Super Administrators

Question for the powers-that-be...

I assume that there is a pretty high threshold that a miniature has to sell to be worth making in Bones. I'm sure some of that is proprietary info, but about how big a seller does a figure have to be to be worth making in bones?

We'll certainly see when we release some previously-unreleased figures exclusively to the Bones line. In other words, the threshold isn't going to work like that for Bones.

With this now available will all new miniatures be made as bones? I mean who will buy an $8 miniature when they can get exactly the same thing for $2? I fell like Dark Heaven, Warlord, Chronoscope, and even the P65 line should all just be ended and all new miniatures should be made as bones. Also, I would love to see more large creatures and basic trooper type miniatures made as bones, not single characters. $3 instead of $27.50 for a purple worm is amazing, $16.50 instead of $40 for 9 troopers is outstanding. $2 instead of $6.50 for a dwarf character is good, but not nearly as spectacular.

Next week we'll be previewing two brand new Bones polys. One by Werner Klocke, one by Bobby Jackson. Neither have seen the light of day in any Reaper product line before, so they are unique to Bones. And they're awesome.

There, chew on that for a while. :;):

Well hey, I guess I'll hold off on that order till next week! Thanks for the heads up, Ron!

Next week we'll be previewing two brand new Bones polys. One by Werner Klocke, one by Bobby Jackson. Neither have seen the light of day in any Reaper product line before, so they are unique to Bones. And they're awesome.

There, chew on that for a while. :;):

Well hey, I guess I'll hold off on that order till next week! Thanks for the heads up, Ron!

Saaaay...wait a minute! It was last week that he posted that! Spill it, Reaper Ron! :poke:

.We'll certainly see when we release some previously-unreleased figures exclusively to the Bones line. In other words, the threshold isn't going to work like that for Bones.

So are you saying that the initial bones line didn't have the same calculus beause LE's were already being made (the tooling was in place) and they just had to make them without paint?

My curiosity lies in knowing whether there's a large outlay required to make the tooling to do a mini in bones. If there is, that's ok, but if there isn't then I can go on dreaming of CAVs made in bones.

With this now available will all new miniatures be made as bones? I mean who will buy an $8 miniature when they can get exactly the same thing for $2? I fell like Dark Heaven, Warlord, Chronoscope, and even the P65 line should all just be ended and all new miniatures should be made as bones. Also, I would love to see more large creatures and basic trooper type miniatures made as bones, not single characters. $3 instead of $27.50 for a purple worm is amazing, $16.50 instead of $40 for 9 troopers is outstanding. $2 instead of $6.50 for a dwarf character is good, but not nearly as spectacular.

I'm sticking with the metal. I have a ton of metal to paint now, and with the budget tightening, I'd rather buy fewer models in metal. I'm sure there are younger gamers who are just getting into the hobby that will buy tons of Bones for their games, but my crew have so much prepainted plastic from back in the day that we really don't need them.

I'm betting Reaper will continue to offer everything they have, and not just switch everything to one material.

That being said, when the latest model comes out only in Bones format, if I give in to temptation and buy it because it rocks, I won't feel too bad about it. :bday:

Shadowdragon - our intention is that Bones, LE, P-65, and our regular metal lines will coexist peacefully in an Aquarian idyll of harmony and understanding. Each will contribute its unique strengths to the community, and each will teach us all a wonderful, valuable lesson about life.

Or something like that. All our existing lines will continue to receive new models, including Bones. We've got a preview of the first new Bones models coming as soon as Ed gets back from GAMA.

Also here's a nice review of Bones we found:

http://www.playunplu...w-reaper-bones/

So my Kobolds arrived and they are very spiffy. I have to disagree a bit with the advertising tage "Yesterday's Prices, Today's Quality." It's a bit more "Yesterday's Prices, Yesterday's Quality." I have plenty of old Grenadier and Ral Partha soft lead models that have about the same level of quality as these Bones models, and the plastic just doesn't hold sharp details the way metal does.

I disagree. I have the kobolds in metal, LE, and Bones versions, and there is no difference in detail. Maybe it's the sculpt itself that you are finding fault with.

Halber