Bones You'd Like To See

Dr.Bedlam

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stuff I want from bones:

1.) Semi-expensive hobby starter kit monster packs several larger dungeon or habitat specific or thematically related monsters. Comes in a cheap but reusable plastic case. Maybe throw in a terrain piece or two and some paint and a starter brush? $20 to $50 range depending on contents. Possibly do single dragon kits like this as bones.

2.) 5 figure warband packs for army builders: Let's say frog-men. (stone age swamp dwellers)

Warrior pack: 5 Frog-men with spears.

Skirmisher pack 5 Frog-men skirmishers with axe and buckler

Command pack 1 Shamman with staff, 1 leader with sword, 1 champion with huge club, 2 scouts with dagger and net (might be musicians for other types)

3.) Diorama / vignette kits A set of figures based on something cool and exciting happening. The classic thing of this is the wizard halflings and a balrog type set. These could be fantasy or not.

4.) 2 player warband sets Team one : three armored hob goblin bandits with halberds, two HG crossbow archers, and a huge fearsome Bugbear leader with double swords. Team two A wood elf ninja lady, a wood elf sorceress on a horse, a very smug looking wood elf swashbuckler, a bear, and a huge owl. Maybe have rules for them to download online. And you could do this with the 6 IMEF marines and the 6 Nova corporate marines.

Usually around ten figures sometimes with one 40-50% larger than the rest.

Anyway that's some of the stuff I'd like to eventually be done with Bones.

I love the warband ideas. At first during the kickstarter I was (just) slightly flabberghasted that they kept adding sets with grunts and a leader. It made it pointless to order multiples. Then it dawned on me (and I am in no way critical of this, I think it's a damned clever idea); If you add a boss to each set, most folks won't buy multiples, they'll wait until they hit retail and buy the grunts individually at retail prices. I have a whole list of grunts I want many of when they hit the shelves.

Again, I'm fine with this, it's completely logical.

Heh, heh, them Reapers is smaaaht...heh, heh...

Overall, I am very pleased with the releases they decided upon for the Kickstarter. For the low price, how could I not be?

I was surprised to see two undead dragons though. To date, I haven't seen any satisfactory large dragons with meat on their bones. I want a super imposing great wyrm red dragon to slam on the table!

The choice for Cthulhu also surprised me. I'm getting one, but for a showpiece only. It strikes me as something that is only usable in a very specific type of campaign, and even if you are running a Cthulhu game, how often do players come face to face with the man himself? My ignorance of the genre may color my statement though...

The plastics allow for lots of larger miniatures than we've been treated too, so they make the top of my list, which is:

1. Tarrasque

2. Great Wyrm Dragons

3. Kraken (The limited release Master Series model was awesome, but too limited to get my hand on one for a good price)

4. Air Elementals (an assortment just like the Fire elementals, in clear plastic)

5. Water Elementals (also an assortment, in blue/clear plastic)

6. Earth Elementals (see air and water, but not in clear plastic)

And on the note of elementals...why has no one released a pack of all the summonable monsters. One of the most used spells in the fantasy gaming universe, and it is near impossible to collect a full set of all the critters you can summon. This seems ripe for box set potential...Summon Monster 1, Summon Monster 2, Summon Monster 3.... These would sell like crazy as anyone playing a spellcaster can use them, and keeping track of all the summoned monsters on a battle mat can be a nightmare.

7. All of the monsters on the Summon Monster spell lists.

Those are what I would like to see.

• Like 2

Another thought entered my mind -

I would like Mod packs - things like weapons, shields, wings (angelic and demonic) to make modifications to characters without having to destroy tear apart one mini to make another look more like what we want :)

• Like 1

from my perspective Bones are good for 3 things

1) people on a budget

2) getting hordes of critters on the table (cheaply)

3) convention use, so you arent so worried about the paint falling off or a sword getting broken off

with #2 in mind, I want to see more things that you would see multiples of, including things like cowboys, zombies, marines, pirates, etc

Post-Kickstarter, there's one Bones figure I'd like to see in particular:

* A male human regular-crew pirate who isn't carrying a big treasure chest on his shoulder.

I love the pirate models that were offered in the Kickstarter, but none of them struck me as appropriate for the sort of mini I'd buy multiple copies of for "regular pirates" for some sort of encounter -- and that's the big deciding factor for me in terms of which figures I'd rather have in Bones vs. metal: Is this the sort of figure I'd like to buy several of, if it's cheap enough?

With the pirate figures in the Kickstarter, we got two lady pirates (nice, of course, but not the typical lot to throw at your heroes in large numbers in an encounter), one dwarf pirate, one guy in a captain's coat, and then one otherwise perfectly good "ordinary" pirate, except he's got a treasure chest on one shoulder. If I had several copies of that guy to comprise my "pirate encounter," I'm sure I'd earn a few wisecracks from the players. Perhaps it wouldn't be hard to convert the figure to remove the chest (I won't really know until I see my copy), but it would still be nice to have one ready to go -- just an ordinary pirate with a sword and/or flintlock, no conversion necessary.

14388 "Blackreef Pirate," 02144 "Eric Swiftblade," or the alternate 03131 "Eric Swiftblade, Swashbuckler" would be good examples of a "basic" pirate that could be fielded in numbers, each one painted up a little differently.

Please note: I still love the pirate figures that were in the Kickstarter! Any one of them would make a wonderful special character, and I look forward to painting them up.

• Like 2

for $0.50 minis and 10 dollars dragons

This is an overly simplistic answer to a complex situation, and it does not invalidate my earlier statement. I guess you missed the part in the KS video where it states that in less than 6 months, the Bones line has gone from non-existent to being a third of the blisters they ship, on only 16 SKUs. This was confirmed when the KS took off at the start, before it was $.50 a mini and the $10 dragon options were introduced. And while price is certainly a motivating factor for some, if something is garbage, people won't buy it, no matter how cheap it is. Price only convinced more people to give up more of their cash now, instead of waiting until later.

~v

I'm not sure where this would fit in, but I'd like to see some Bulky terminator style robots, more robots of any kind really.

I used to own an original Necrons army (Back when they were all metal) I regret selling them, because damnit, I love robots.