Bones You'd Like To See

Dr.Bedlam

I'd like some clear (or nearly clear) plastic props. I might be able to mold things out of putty as I need, but I cannot paint things transparent. My interests are varied, but in particular:

* Clear bubble helmets. Basically a hollow orb with a large hole on one end, presumably in two halves (or else it'd be impossible to mold and release). Alternatively (for easier casting), have a "bullet" helmet that's round/domed on top, and cylindrical on the sides, with a soft enough plastic that I can carve it to accommodate the shoulders of the figure and get a decent fit. This would be perfect for figures such as Dee-Dee Astro Girl or Betty Space Heroine. Even if the resulting plastic is a bit cloudy, it's still a better alternative than COMPLETELY obscuring the head underneath.

* Clear visor helmets. Similar to above, but more futuristic, less retro. If it could somehow work with the IMEF troopers, that'd be great (but I'm not sure what ONE design would work for all of them, especially since "Jazz Jenkins" and "Erik Proudfoot" already have helmets that don't exactly look space-worthy).

* Fairy wings. Yeah, I know, this is a big departure from the above, but it'd be great to have that fairy wing pack done in clear plastic. Stick them on a miniature and -- voila! Fairy. I've already been doing this with the HorrorClix "Tooth Fairy" model (a hideous model that I've gotten as cheap as 5 cents a mini from some sites, because it's ugly as all get out ... but it has clear plastic FAIRY WINGS that are pretty nice for conversions). If the fear is that a "conversion pack" wouldn't sell as well as a complete miniature, just have a fairy model in clear plastic; a dedicated modeler would buy the fairy just for the wings (and use the main body for something else -- either painting it over, or leaving it clear as a ghost or spirit or some-such).

* Energy bolts/effects. At its most basic, some clear rods of either clear plastic, or translucent colored plastic, preferably in quantity. Want to turn a fantasy figure into a "space opera" hero? Just cut away that metal blade and drill a hole in the pommel, then insert a length of "laser rod" and create a "laser sword." Want to make "Jazz Jenkins" stand out a little more from the IMEF forces? Drill a hole in the muzzle of his blaster rifle, and insert an "energy bolt" so it looks like he's firing an energy blast from the weapon. Or, add a spell effect for a spellcaster as he shoots a blast of cerulean energy from his outstretched hand or the headpiece of his magic staff.

Either smooth simple rods would work, or perhaps irregular "energy" effects (lightning, fire, energy sphere, icicle blast, etc.). Clear plastic might be best; I could add some color (especially for that "cerulean energy" ;) ) by applying a translucent ink or dry-brushing with a semi-translucent paint. I've bought a number of Clix minis on the cheap, featuring clear or translucent plastic just so I could snip off some "energy effect" and apply it to a miniature. (For example, my "Torch McHugh" with a translucent flame for his flamethrower.)

* Crystals. Great for decorating bases or treasure piles. Either that, or have some sort of "crystal elemental" figure that's basically just a quasi-humanoid figure composed of lots of crystalline rods cast in clear(ish) plastic, and it'd be a prime contender for kitbashing (just buy the figure and snip off some crystal clusters as needed). I'd use craft "gems" or beads, but they usually just aren't small enough for this sort of thing.

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... I so could have used some of those trolls for my last gaming session. Ah, well.

I've recently purchased several of the cave trolls that are currently available for bones and am going to experiment with re-positioning them. Should be entertaining

Since I'm a Dwarven Forge terrain fan and collector, I don't really have desire for Bones modular walls, but furnishings, dungeon dressing, etc. is another matter. I can never have enough variety of furnishings, dungeon dressing, etc. Giant mushrooms, crystals, altars, pillars, tombs, alchemist or wizard's equipment, outhouse, bath, etc. Using these as a backdrop when running an encounter with miniatures really livens the experience.

• Like 1

Since I'm a Dwarven Forge terrain fan and collector, I don't really have desire for Bones modular walls, but furnishings, dungeon dressing, etc. is another matter. I can never have enough variety of furnishings, dungeon dressing, etc. Giant mushrooms, crystals, altars, pillars, tombs, alchemist or wizard's equipment, outhouse, bath, etc. Using these as a backdrop when running an encounter with miniatures really livens the experience.

Bruce Hirst of Hirst Arts is working on a couple of accessory pieces molds. Here's the thread, http://hirstarts.yuku.com/topic/5076/The-Inn-Market-Accessory-Mold-Thread?page=11#.UGDpNVH21nw

It's about halfway down the thread.

• Like 2

Im digging those molds (thanks for the link). Maybe he can put an inn brick cooking oven on the mold if he has the space. Looks like there will be lots of useful stuff to make with them!

There's already a small brick mold that can be used to make large ovens and fireplaces. Although a wood-burning stove would be neat....

I'd like some clear (or nearly clear) plastic props. I might be able to mold things out of putty as I need, but I cannot paint things transparent.

* Energy bolts/effects. At its most basic, some clear rods of either clear plastic, or translucent colored plastic, preferably in quantity. Want to turn a fantasy figure into a "space opera" hero? Just cut away that metal blade and drill a hole in the pommel, then insert a length of "laser rod" and create a "laser sword." Want to make "Jazz Jenkins" stand out a little more from the IMEF forces? Drill a hole in the muzzle of his blaster rifle, and insert an "energy bolt" so it looks like he's firing an energy blast from the weapon. Or, add a spell effect for a spellcaster as he shoots a blast of cerulean energy from his outstretched hand or the headpiece of his magic staff.

Either smooth simple rods would work, or perhaps irregular "energy" effects (lightning, fire, energy sphere, icicle blast, etc.). Clear plastic might be best; I could add some color (especially for that "cerulean energy" ;) ) by applying a translucent ink or dry-brushing with a semi-translucent paint. I've bought a number of Clix minis on the cheap, featuring clear or translucent plastic just so I could snip off some "energy effect" and apply it to a miniature. (For example, my "Torch McHugh" with a translucent flame for his flamethrower.)

Plastruct already makes clear and translucent rods. The most narrow ones I found worked great as light sabres with 28mm scale figs.

http://www.plastruct.com/Pages/OnlineCatalog.lasso

Search on 'rod'

Im digging those molds (thanks for the link). Maybe he can put an inn brick cooking oven on the mold if he has the space. Looks like there will be lots of useful stuff to make with them!

Hrmmm, Scotia - Grendel had one in resin... let me check....

10035_Tavern_Kitchen_01.jpg

10035 Tavern Kitchen - 7 GBP. Still there. One of my favorite pieces by them. Their entire series for tavern terrain is pretty decent.

The Auld Grump

• Like 3

Eee!

Now this is the sort of thing I yearned for when I was a kid and they were shoving dollhouses at me.

Dollhouses. (rolls eyes)

Come to think of it, that love of tiny weird spaces (but not dollhouses!) might be how I got into minis in the first place. I loved rpgs, but the minis kicked it up that level into awesome.

So yes, I might be interested in a few props too.

I'd like to see Cadarith the colossal spider in Bones, as well as 03049 Huge Spider.

For that matter - Huge, Gargantuan, and Colossal versions of all the creepy crawlies that never get made in metal, just because they're too danged expensive. Great for conversions, too - I can picture a platform on the back of a gargantuan spider, dark elves with bows and ballista raining destruction from the cover it provides....

The Auld Grump, you supply the spider, I'll supply the howdah....