Bones You'd Like To See

Dr.Bedlam

I also kind of disagree with 'not bad' in regards to the Zombies!!! - it is more accurate to say 'not good, either'. Mediocre zombies? Somewhat less good than average zombies?

But they are cheap, if that is what you want.

Me, I have an enormous number of Mantic zeds - and painted 300 of them a few months ago as a commission. Those qualify as 'not bad' - and would be higher on my list if they had more poses.

The Auld Grump, I have used the Mantic zeds in Pathfinder and Spycraft....

• Like 1

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, yeah, the little plastic Twilight Games zombies are cheap, but they make for a shrimpy horde compared to 32mm figures.

Another comparison; our brave Anhurian soldier faces off against a Zombies!! zombie, zombie babe, and zombie dog from Twilight Games.

2012-11-12000017.jpg

• Like 1

Now that zombie dog is a better fit. ::):

I... have a few zombie dogs (Reaper, Ral Partha) but can use some more.

I used this fellow -

50069_w_1.jpg

As a carnival giant ghoul in Fallout when the PCs reached Gibsonton, Florida. He's a bit larger than the norm.

The DH Classics Undead Hounds would make good bones....

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

I agree, the zombie dog actually surprised me by how well he went with the Anhurian. Waist high is pretty reasonable for a large dog on a human soldier (whereas the zombie dogs are about chest high on the zombies/heroes in Zombies!!) On the other hand, the Anhurian is on the smaller side of heroic 28-mm, too...

ETA: And, on topic, I'd love to see the rest of the Warlord line added as Bones. We've already seen a number of them, existing and Kickstarter both; I think the rest of the armies and units would be excellent additions. I don't play, but I love the sculpts and would certainly buy an army or two at Bones prices for use in other games and RPGs.

• Like 2

Those Bag o' Zombies zombies would work well for someone like me, because the gamers I usually game with, as well as myself, aren't minis-focused, in the sense that in the past, we'd use just about anything as a makeshift "mini" if we needed to visualize positioning. Even those cheapy zombies would have been a big step up for us.

That said, if Reaper could figure out how to do something like those Bags o' Zombies, maybe call them Bags o' Bones, that consisted of basic "horde"-type monsters like zombies and skeletons, or maybe even very basic warriors or kobolds, I'd love it. A Bag 'o Bones peasant horde spiced up with the more individualistic Townsfolk Bones figures, for example, would be pretty nice. Nothing too fancy, of course, to keep the cost minimal.

• Like 2

Thanks for the photo reference with the Zombies!!! and Anhurian soldier. I agree that it looks like the dog scales up pretty well compared to a Reaper mini. (I just don't necessarily need 100 of them. ;) )

Anyway, I mostly use my Bag o' Zombies!!! to supplement my copy of "Doom: The Board Game." The Doom figures are true 25mm scale, so the "Zombies!!!" fit right in, and give me the opportunity to give the regular zombies some slight variety.

Right now, I think I'm personally set for "recent apocalypse" zombies, thanks to the Zombicide Kickstarter "Abomination" pack. However, I've been interested in the "George the Zombie" Bones (and the goofy-looking zombie Bones that's presently out) as more "time-inspecific" models that I can use for a horde for my Reich of the Dead Kroid forces ... and also for more "advanced apocalypse" zombies (i.e., not shambling around in three-piece suits or jogging outfits, and largely intact, as if they just got surprised by a zombie attack while out for a morning jog or coffee break).

I hope to experiment a bit with the flexibility of Bones plastic, to see if I can do some slight pose variants on "George" either by cutting and re-gluing limbs (and maybe adding "scraps of clothing" via putty to hide any resulting gaps), or maybe by inserting pieces of wire and bending the limb like a "bendy toy." I haven't tried that yet to see if it would work well, but I look forward to the opportunity to experiment. :)

I'm also thinking of making a few "horde" bases. That is, say, a 60mm base with several assorted zombies permanently attached to represent a densely-packed horde. In game terms, I would use it to represent large numbers of zombies in the background, so I can give the impression to the players of large shambling hordes without actually having to MOVE large numbers of individual figures each and every round. I might put a d20 or some other counter in an empty spot in the base to represent a "pool" of zombies in the horde; the number could get reduced if someone tries sniping at members of the horde, or else if individual members split off to join the fray (thus treating my "horde base" sort of like a "spawn point" but with a finite number of extra zombies to contribute to the madness ;) ). For this, I think I might well use a few Bones zombies, and mix in some of my Bag o' Zombies!!! zombies. Not all my zombies have to be the same size, after all; I just don't want the BULK of my horde to look short and scrawny compared to the heroes.

Er ... back to Bones I'd Like to See: How about a female zombie for a little extra diversity in the horde? Please NOT a NAKED female zombie. Ewwww.

• Like 1

Well, the closest thing we've seen thus far for Bones "hordes" of the type suggested is probably the Orcpocalypse option from the KS; 20 orcs, four each of five different sculpts. This came in at $25 for early adopters, $30 for later; given that we're currently getting three orc spearmen for $5, I'm pretty sure those prices will increase for retail (orc spearmen, buying in the blister, will run you $30 for 18, close as it gets). On the other hand, if you're buying in volume and you don't need the individual blisters, then you could probably squeeze in two extra orcs for the savings in packaging...

...so, I think we might see horde type bundles, if the interest is there, come to think of it. I don't know that it's something you'd see in your regular retail outlet, but it should be easy enough to do as a special direct from Reaper. Hmmm...

I love the idea of the horde base for zombies, Mr. Peacock. I might have to do something like that. ::):

I love the idea of the horde base for zombies, Mr. Peacock. I might have to do something like that. ::):

If you do, please post pictures! :D I have a few more ideas on my own experimentation with zombie horde bases, but I'll save that for another thread (with some pictures), as I'm going wayyyyyy off topic here.

If you do, please post pictures! :D I have a few more ideas on my own experimentation with zombie horde bases, but I'll save that for another thread (with some pictures), as I'm going wayyyyyy off topic here.

Damn I missed that whole thing up till now. I am totally on this bandwagon already!

I picked up a bunch of the "Corpse Field" bases from Secreat Weapons Miniatures with the intention of doing group bases of various sizes for Z-Day style games. But I'll be using the Wargames Factory zombies for that project. I won a painting contest and ended up with around 100 of them for free. They have an interesting expansion for them that is entirely female. All kinds of undead awkward to assault my PCs with. :devil:

• Like 1

Giants Giants Giants! I want to run the "Against the Giants" series of modules in DCC RPG and need these minis!

I REALLY want more Ice giants... warriors, in the same style/look as the reaper sculpts.

Fire Giants are covered, yay!

More Storm and Cloud giants, warriors, general figures.

And we have no Hill or Stone Giants. I'd like at least 3 different sculpts in the same general style.

And Dire Wolves!

• Like 3

I wouldn't mind seeing the same character in a standing and a mounted pose (without being attached to the mount).

This would allow my players to switch out figurines while playing, and allow them to place their mounted figurine on a horse, or a griffon, or...

I would also allow me as the GM to do the same for the bad guys.

• Like 1

I was looking through the catalog trying to sort some stuff out and that led me to the Dark Heaven Armies Packs.

http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Dark%20Heaven%20Legends%20Army%20Packs/latest/page1

I'd love to see all of these packs replaced by a Bones version of exactly the same miniatures mix.

• Like 3

I was looking through the catalog trying to sort some stuff out and that led me to the Dark Heaven Armies Packs.

http://www.reapermin...ks/latest/page1

I'd love to see all of these packs replaced by a Bones version of exactly the same miniatures mix.

Same here. I'm still sifting through Reaper's selection, and missed these. Those are just the kind of thing I'd love: bulk packs of classic RPG archetypes that are often encountered in groups - town guards, dwarven units, etc.

• Like 1