Bones You'd Like To See

Dr.Bedlam

So...let me summarize this thread in one post.

Everything Reaper has ever/does/will ever make in every type of new Bones plastic, clear, translucent and white.m Ta-da!

New! Reaper Miniatures blind bag collectible figures! collect the set.

Please note, I like this is the most tongue-in-cheek kind of way. Blind-bag LEGO figures damn near cost me my marriage.... Ok, not really. Not even close. Blind Bag Bones might....

• Like 2

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New! Reaper Miniatures blind bag collectible figures! collect the set.

Deargodpleaseno. The collectible BS ia qhat turned me off D&D minis; if I need six skeletons for An encounter, I don't want to buy $50 worth of random grab bags and hope I get my skeletons, I just want to buy the godscursed things and get it over with. And "well you can just buy them on the (overpriced) secondary market" doesn't do good things for the producing company, and it's a pain in the arse when you need a "rare" monster for an encounter. Funk. Dat.

Popular opinion that I disagree with almost categorically. (I don't especially want Bones grab bags. ^_^ )

If you bought by the box at full retail, you paid (depending on when you were buying) in the range of $1 -$1.50 per figure. Buy a bunch of boxes and you got a selection of figures that would work for most games.

If you wanted only a few commons for a specific encounter, you could get them for about $0.50 per figure, delivered. Uncommons were around the average retail price. It was only the rares that were expensive. And the rares were generally limited use figures, so you could pretty easily sell the rares you were unlikely to use to finance all the rest of your purchases.

The alternative is to do what Reaper did. You can buy individual common figures for around $3/piece. (They're much nicer than the paint jobs of the D&D commons, of course.)

For mooks, I'm fine with cheap, not especially detailed paint jobs subsidized by people who have to have rares. For more important figures, I'll want to paint the figures myself anyway.

(See also Mage Knight.)

Yeah, it's the collectibility that stalled any enthusiasm I had for D&D minis. When I first heard about them, I was excited - finally, minis I was interested in...until I saw they were collectible. I had initially hoped that they would be what Reaper eventually ended up making - inexpensive, quality minis that I could just go and buy without having to buy blind packs or brave the wilds of eBay to track down.

That said, if Reaper decided to make grab bags for the holidays or the end of the fiscal year, I might well be tempted to buy that, just for the fun of it.

• Like 2

I would like some additional dungeon dressing. Some of the items that I would buy multiples of include doors, decorative columns, stalagmite/tite columns, and trees/tree trunks. Stuff to fit 1 inch squares for battlemaps.

Edited by Evermore414

Well... if this was something done in person (like at the con) one could set up a booth were a handful of dice are rolled and the result put against a prize chart. You "Roll D'em Bones" and take your chances!

• Like 7

Please note, I like this is the most tongue-in-cheek kind of way. Blind-bag LEGO figures damn near cost me my marriage.... Ok, not really. Not even close. Blind Bag Bones might....

It's not that hard to figure out which is which. This last release my hubby and I got everything we wanted, and nothing we didn't want, on the first try. ::):

• Like 1

It's not that hard to figure out which is which. This last release my hubby and I got everything we wanted, and nothing we didn't want, on the first try. ::):

I usually want them all anyway, so no problem for me. ::D:

Random grab bags make great gifts.

I bought three of the Mantic grab bag, dumped them all into the middle of the table, and let each player in turn grab a frame - I was planning on keeping whatever was left when they were down to the ones that nobody wanted.... Big surprise (<-- Not) there were no figures that nobody wanted....

Then I gave away the messenger bags that the frames came in.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1