Bones You'd Like To See

Dr.Bedlam

I would be fine with a horse (& other critters like ants, dogs & lizards) with a saddle and no rider.

You put the mount on a 50mm base and make sure you leave 1 side of the base simple/clear so you have space to drop the rider in when they are riding te mount. Means you don't need a bazillion different mount/rider comboes.

That said I still really, really, really, want all the Warlord mounted Troop models as Bones options, if the rider wasn't glued to the mount when sold it would give the best of both worlds (and you could use magnets to set up different combos).

• Like 4

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree re: horses; I'd like something I can convert for my Chronoscope cowboys to ride (especially since now that there are some Bones cowboys, I can feel a lot more comfortable with buying a second one to convert to be a horse-rider piece).

In the meantime, I suppose there's 77029 Silverhorn, Unicorn, who would make a perfect horse once I trim off that goatee and horn ... save for those really hairy fetlocks, which look a bit suspicious on a typical riding horse.

I'd still need to add a saddle and bridle, of course, but the horse is certainly a good starting point (and if a saddle/bridle were included, that would end up "genre-locking" the horse to an extent, depending upon the style).

"Silverhorn"?!

My 77029 unicorn was named "Torg" on the packaging. Go figure.

I am not sure, but 77029 seems a bit large scale for a riding horse. I would prefer saddled horses a little smaller. Also, given how potentially fragile 77029 is at the ankles, I'd like to suggest horses with three or four legs on the ground for extra stability.

Monks/unarmed warriors, shifters/weres/lycanthropes, "human"-sized golems/earth elementals and treants/wood woads-- lots of PC-type bones so far, but few for some of my typical characters...

Also, more fey stuff-- dryalds, fairies, pixies (for the fiancee).

I'll chime in later with some monster ideas.

Edited by gothikaiju
  • Like 2

I'm kinda surprised at how many of the current Bones (Kickstarted and regular flavor) have their metal brethren Not In Catalog; I wouldn't have thought "slow" sellers would be the best choice to risk expensive molds on. It's actually kind of heartening, seeing old minis rising to the top once more. ::):

I'm kinda surprised at how many of the current Bones (Kickstarted and regular flavor) have their metal brethren Not In Catalog; I wouldn't have thought "slow" sellers would be the best choice to risk expensive molds on. It's actually kind of heartening, seeing old minis rising to the top once more. ::):

I'm not sure if you're looking at monsters or hero's (and am at work, so can't really check), but it has been mentioned that the Bones monsters outsell the heroes by far. It is still early in the life of Bones, so no one really knows how it's going to go, but I hear a lot of GM's (and players) who are ecstatic to be able to field hordes (or very large singles) of inexpensive monsters.

$0.02

-DD

I think that's how it's going to continue, honestly. In metal, hero-types will continue to be their top sellers, but in bones, the monsters will rule.

If you're just buying for your character, it's worth it to look around to find the best mini possible to represent your character, and due to mold costs, Bones won't be able to field the variety that metal can. Reaper can support a metal mini on far fewer sales than bones mini. But for monsters, being able to buy twenty of 'em without having to get a second mortgage makes it very tempting.

• Like 2

don't forget that DM`s need cheap npcs. or keep a sideboard of heroes for guest players. that kind of thing.

True, but I don't know that it will shift things that much. I plan on using Bones for running dungeon crawls at cons. I pre-generate the characters. Lets say, a mage, a fighter, a thief, a bard, a barbarian, a ranger, maybe some alternates. 6, 10 PCs tops. Maybe 3 NPCs, (Merchant, character to be rescued, and the villian). 13 human characters.

I stat out monsters, and make tokens for as many as the heroes will face at once. If the game is running slow, I eliminate some encounters. If its running fast, then its ANOTHER room full of skeletons!

Figure 5-15 rats, 5-10 kobolds, 5-20 skelies, 5 orcs, 5-10 goblins, 5 giant scorpions, and assorted 1 off monsters. Easily 40 to 100 monster tokens I'd have on hand. Now instead of tokens I can use minis without going bankrupt, but we're still talking 13 humans to 40 monsters that I'd need for that game.

• Like 5