14553: Arthrand Nightblade, Wood Elf Sergeant

Turun_2_10_small.jpg

Turun_2_9_small.jpg

Turun_2_8_small.jpg

Turun_2_7_small.jpg

The camera is cruel, that's all I gotta say...

I like how the cowl came out but everything else seems to be really muted or just sloppily done. I haven't coated him yet so I can do repair work as needed.

Thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good mini.

My few suggestions would be to focus on cleaning up the red.

The browns and greens can be done in the fashion shown and add something to the character or story with it. The red is hard to explain away. Take the darkness in the recesses and the highlights up on those higher folds.

Also try and get in there where you left some areas blank. The base sticks out, try and use some static grass in the blank parts. Also where the quiver meets the cloak, there is a large strip of grey from the undercoat. Get in there with that green and you can use a wash of some type to hide any misses once you get closer.

Don't forget to use that camera to your advantage. I find I get so focused when doing a mini, that after taking some good photos it will find something that I just completely overlooked. Get in there and fix those. :)

Good Luck!

I like the way the brown looks "leathery"... I agree with Bumble_B's suggestions... perhaps a bit more blending? It seems like your darks and lights butt up against each other instead of transitioning smoothly... It could just be the camera, though. Whatever you do, keep it up! You get better the more you do it! (including taking pictures)

I like how the cowl came out but everything else seems to be really muted or just sloppily done. I haven't coated him yet so I can do repair work as needed.

Thoughts?

Not sure, but could your lamps or your eyes be letting you down? Make sure you have enough light in your painting area, check your prescription (if any), try some reading glasses, or invest in a magnifier to compensate. Good light and the ability to focus close up helps keep the surprises to a minimum when you take pictures. If you can't see well, it's hard to paint clean.

Thoughts?

Not sure, but could your lamps or your eyes be letting you down? Make sure you have enough light in your painting area, check your prescription (if any), try some reading glasses, or invest in a magnifier to compensate. Good light and the ability to focus close up helps keep the surprises to a minimum when you take pictures. If you can't see well, it's hard to paint clean.

I do need to get the eyeballs checked.

Thanks all - your comments are really helping. I will post finished pics tonight.

I agree with the posts about the leather doing a good job of looking leathery. The green does have a kewl camo effect going...in fact, I'm going to try something like that soon based on this inspiration. The reds do have conflicting light and dark areas that seem to blend together.

Good luck! :)

the first thing that stuck out to me most was the base, you need to paint it brown or something dirt-like before you throw the flocking down, that way if you miss a spot, it looks like a bald spot. other than that you just need to do a bit more on smoothing out your paints and working on highlights.

All in all though, looks pretty dern good :)

And here is Team Danger, or Team Goldilocks as the case may be...

2012-03-26_23-26-34_477.jpg

2012-03-26_23-26-16_568.jpg

/ special note - the big guy on the right was painted by a friend of mine. These to minis represent a pair of characters who are currently being played in a Pathfinder game.