Sign in to follow this  
Don Rodolfo Graziani

War of the Reptus

Deep in the bowels of the earth, the Broodmaster faced off against his most powerful foe yet. Numerous sacrifices stirred the aether and awoke the mighty Herald of Blood. Surrounded by reptus forces divining their way through the tunnels, the Herald roared defiance. Defenses hardened to meet the vengeful Broodmaster. Time for round 3 of the ongoing saga of the Reptus vs the Bloodstone Gnomes.

Gnomes

TROOP 1

Herald of Blood

Kulgurk

6 Scraggers

3 Stone Zealots

Luck Stone

TROOP 2

Naklak

3 Pinners

4 Pulgers

3 Stone Zealots

TROOP 3

Naklak

3 Pulgers

2 Scraggers

2 Tunnel Knights

3 Stone Zealots

TROOP 4

Charnel Grub

TROOP 5

Great Worm

Reptus

TROOP 1

Broodmaster w/ Troll Hide

4 Venom Spitters

Pakpao w/ Familiar

TROOP 2

6 Coatl

TROOP 3

Krung Beast

TROOP 4

3 Crymorian Warriors

TROOP 5

Chhaya

5 Clutchling Spearmen

TROOP 6

Dragon Turtle

I got to set up the table and determine deployment. I set it up with a central chamber and 4 12X12 chambers in the corners of the table. The rules were simple. I had to deploy my whole force first and then he would roll for each troop to determine which corner they started on. On a 1 it was my choice, 2-3 NW corner, 4-5 NE corner, 6-7 SE corner, 8-9 SW corner, and 10 his choice. He rolled and the Dragon Turtle was in the NW, Chhaya in the NE, the Crymorian warriors in the SE, and the rest in the SW. And me with all my troops facing the wrong targets.

Turn 1: Jason went first three times. His caster threw a fireball at my Charnel Grub, 2 Pulgers, 2 Tunnel Knights, and a Stone Zealot. It fizzled and killed the Zealot and missed everyone else. The Broodmaster advanced but was just out of range of my infantry. The Grub activated and charged the Broodmaster, whose first strike missed. The grub hit him for 4 pts of damage and took two in return. Two spells and my Pinners would put the Broodmaster on his last track and force two tough checks, while the Worm hit the Krungbeast for 2 points. Most of our forces moved to block or reposition to attack on the following turn. Things looked very grim for the Reptus.

Turn 2: His Spitters killed 2 Pulgers and a Zealot while the Broodmaster based my 2 Tunnel Knights and Kulgurk but left one Knight alive. He also cast Damage Reduction on the Broodmaster making him a total beast. The Couatls charged my Zealots and Pinners killing many of them but losing 4 Couatls. The Crymorians took heavy damage for just a few Scraggers, while the Krungbeast took out half a unit. The Dragon Turtle killed the Worm for moderate damage. Chhaya ganged up on the Herald doing 3 points to him. I killed the Krungbeast and one Crymorian warrior but clearly Turn 2 belonged to Jason.

Turn 3: The Charnel Grub killed Pakpao but died of poisoning from a Spitter. The Herald charged the Broodmaster and killed him. Other units swirled about cutting enemies down one by one. By the end of the fighting we were pretty spread out. I was back on top.

Turn 4: We spent most of the turn maneuvering for position. He had one Spitter, Chhaya with 3 Spearmen and 2 Crymorian Warriors to my lone Naklak, wounded Tunnel Knight, and heavily damaged Herald.

Turn 5: The Crymorian warriors charged the Herald killing him but he killed one warrior and the last Spitter. Failing to Life Seize either target he exploded, killing the last Warrior. This left Chhaya and the 3 Spearmen vs. Naklak and his wounded Tunnel Knight.

Turn 6: We wanted to finish it out and I charged Chhaya. I lost. Questions remained. With the Broodmaster dead and the dread Herald of Blood destroyed, would the Reptus continue into the tunnels to wipe out the Bloodstone Gnomes? Was the cost of the war too high to continue? Only time would tell.

An extremely fun game. The winds of fortune kept changing radically from turn to turn.

You left off one of your kulgurks from your list. and the armor of courage off my Chhaya.

You forgot to mention that although my Chhaya troop did 3 points of damage (after DR2) to the Herald, he killed and life seized two of those points back.. Then turn 4, the dragon turtle charged the herald and in an epic swing away both killed each other but again the herald made the successful life seize against the dragonturtle after it failed its tough check by 1. just as much as my successful casting of the iron skin on my broodmaster drove you crazy, so did the herald's continuous success at the life seize after it took me so much effort to kill him. He affectively finished off the broodmaster, killed the dragon turtle, 2 spear guys, 2 crimorian warriors, and a spitter by himself.

we both had several epic lucky rolls. your pinner getting the hit on my broodmaster (even though i made the tough roll after)... my spitter getting the hit with poison on both your worm and your grub... the fact that my krung was able to trample 5 gnomes while on his last track and they all whiffed on their defensive swings... my broodmaster making 3 tough rolls in one activation (magic, ranged, and melee)... and always have to love the Herald's built in "always get the last laugh..." Warlord ability. I am just glad that you had run him away from my other troop when you did, otherwise he probably would have blown up the rest of my models.

After the damage you dished on me the first turn, I was sure that I was toast. But, just another awesome example of why we always play our games out to the end.

When I read about the first turn, I thought the Corrupted Smurfs had it all wrapped up. Then I caught myself and said, "This is Warlord, wait and see!" The terrain setup sound really neat, and the battle report sounds like it was a very fun battle!