77004-Cave Troll (Reaper Bones)

Adrift

This is my first attempt at painting a Bones figure. I admit that I chickened out and did a light spray of white primer on the model before painting. Painting this figure has been a pleasure (especially with the light weight).

I haven't noticed any drop off in quality, difficulty of painting, or and special care that I needed to engage...as compared to a metal Reaper model.

I like using trolls in and around swamp terrain so I painted him with that motif, and I took the time to base him properly before posting pics this time. :)

DISCLAIMER: The right hand (over his head) IS in fact a more putrid/different color than the rest of the miniature. This particular troll recently had a run in with a group of adventurers and it cost him his hand, but he survived and is currently regenerating his limb.

I also painted the two large pods on his back as though he's carrying a couple of his babies around after having mated a few weeks back.

post-7416-0-94416800-1332975378.jpg

post-7416-0-86784600-1332975380.jpg

• Like 7

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where in the world do you get so much time to paint? lol, it's probably just that I'm a really slow painter by comparison. :;):

But seriously, I really like all of your stuff; I just don't get around to commenting on it as often as I'd like. The troll is great, and you'll definitely have an impressed (and potentially a little scared) group of adventurers in your next play session.

Thanks everyone!

I'm an RN, so my schedule is very flexible...I guess that's where I get the time. :)

@ Dr.Bedlam - I too am terrified of of a creature that regens and carries it's young around like this, but it's part of my troll mythos. It is one of the reasons why trolls are such a problem in my gaming world.

That looks good. It occurs to me that, since the troll is regenerating its hand, you COULD have cut off his hand partway through, and used a little greenstuff to make some ragged regrowth on the edges of the wound. Just an idea.

Ishil

The base is actually a combination of 4 different 'grasses'.

• I used some on the log which is woodland scenics: blended turf (brownish/yellow)
  • I used some woodland scenics: blended turf on the ground (green)
  • I also used some static grass from Citadel.
  • Finally, the moss is something I picked up years ago at Hobby Lobby or Michael's and was a primary inspiration on color for purposes of his natural camouflage.

Swamp terrain is known for it's diverse flora so I wanted to use a variety of different textures and colors to bring it to life.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.