Metalchaos

Razig’s Dark Maiden and crew

It’s been some time now that I’ve started working on that diorama. With the coming ReaperCon I was inspired to remove the dust from it to complete it. The boat was made out of a toy and all miniatures will be Reapers.

For now the crew counts 12 painted miniatures; Sergeant Blackknife, Sergeant Grim Pete, Jackie, four Bone Marines, two Zombie Recruits, a Chain Gang, a Cannoneer and a Skeletal Crewman.

The miniatures I’m actually painting are; Razig and Crow, the Dark Maiden attached at the ship bow, Baron LeBone, Mister Blood and Clarissa the Banshee.

The models I still need to prepare and paint are; an Harpooner, Salty Saber, Scurvy Dog, Scuttlebones the Undead Crab and some Canons.

I also have four Skeletal Swordsman and Razig Weapons Pack which I could use to create some original character.

post-5669-0-14719300-1333057574_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

What toy did you use? I've got a Dark Maiden under construction that I am converting (slowly) from a POTC toy ship, but that doesn't look like what you're using.

Here are some more pictures. I fixed the the Dark Maiden at the ship bow.

I also removed the anchor from it’s side and sculpted some planks of wood to complete the assembly.

post-5669-0-38572600-1333224557_thumb.jpg

post-5669-0-72237000-1333224626_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

That's some sweet looking work. I bought an extra Dark Maiden so I could do something like that but still have the model for use on the battlefield. I find your ideas inspirational... or at the very least, motivating me to get off my butt and do something with this stuff...

Thanks Dr.Bedlam, i'm happy you like my use of the Dark Maiden.

I just didn't start painting her yet!

I'm now working on preparing my Scuttlebones Crab.

• Like 1

How do these ships scale up? Could they be used for an on deck adventure at 28mm scale?

I love the maiden on the front. I can't wait to see this fully painted up!

I think it’s just the right for 28mm scale figures. I’ll say you could have about 20 minis on the deck.

It doesn’t show much but there is 11 Razig crewmen mini on the first picture of the post.

Scuttlebones is primed now but I decided to paint Salty Saber first.

I completed the painting on Clarissa and also retouched the Skeletal Crewman for the Forum Contest.

The Mega Bloks ships are great for miniatures gaming at ~28mm scale. I've converted several for use in my Pirates RPG games.

Dread Eye's Phantom is perfect for use with Razig & Co, but only with a bit of work with a Dremel and some putty.

2011-11-12-converted-mega-bloks-dread-eye-phantom-full.jpg

Basically, you'll need to take a Dremel to the many, many pegs on the decks, to flatten them out, and then use some putty or air-dry clay to fill the resulting holes and blend in the textures. A nice feature of all the Mega Bloks toys is that you can fairly easily remove the masts for miniatures play, or pop them back in for looks (i.e., so you have something nice-looking at your table at the start of a game to draw interest from wandering players at a convention).

Here's a picture of the Dread Eye's Phantom minus all the masts (but with one extra mast base added in the center):

2011-11-12-converted-mega-bloks-dread-eye-phantom-extramast.jpg

One thing that's definitely necessary when converting the Phantom is that you'll need to plank over the "sacrificial pit" in the cabin area, or you'll almost certainly have miniatures falling down there left and right. For my conversions, I also filed down the tabs that hold the aft deck in place, so I can more easily remove it to access the area underneath -- either for miniatures placement, or to give me some opportunities to change the look of the ship.

By comparison, "Captain Cutlass's Stormstalker" (the ORIGINAL one, that is), is an easier conversion, if you use a bit of mat board and some craft sticks (for planking) and raise up the deck area to level it out and make it flat for miniatures placement. If you can find "Admiral Scathe's Predator," that's practically the same base ship but with different colors and details.

The Mega Bloks "Pirates of the Caribbean" ships (NOT to be confused with the Lego ships that came out more recently) also work nicely, but unlike the Phantom and Stormstalker, they don't enjoy a single, solid base; if you're going to carry them around to games, you'll probably have to glue a few pieces permanently in place, lest they pop off at inopportune times. Technically, the "Black Pearl" in that line is far from proper scale, but this is "toy scale" we're talking about: The ship as a whole should be far larger in order to be realistic, but individual features (hatches, doors, the ship's wheel, etc.) work well next to 28-32mm figures (or, more specifically, my Reaper pirates, living or undead).

The newer "Captain Cutlass's Stormstalker" is actually the same basic ship as the "Pirates of the Caribbean Black Pearl" but with some altered ornamental details, rather than sticking to the original ship model. It's also usable for game play, but I'm still of the opinion that the original "Captain Cutlass's Stormstalker" is a more ideal toy for quick conversion for miniatures-gaming use.

I have a gallery of some photos from my Pirates RPG games, including some of the Bloks ships: https://plus.google....966577107209361

• Like 2

Hadn't thought about this thread in a while... until, while visiting my sister and nephews in Houston, I found a Stormstalker on clearance at Toys R Us... for twenty-two bucks.

And now I am going to steal all your good ideas.

:devil:

• Like 1

After several months of delay, I will now continue painting my Razig crew.

I have four models on their way and several more to prep and paint.

14402, Skeletal Harpooner

14029, Captain Razig

14271, Mister Blood

14218, Baron LeBone

post-5669-0-76895800-1353860755_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yeaaaahhh... I was thinking about ship building just this morning. We need a converstion tutorial (with a lot of pictures) for these ships.

EDIT: Or one could pick up a Mega Bloks ship to use as a reference and attempt to scratchbuild one's own ship instead. Could be interesting...

EDIT #2: found you some cannons for that thing: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/cannon/sku-down/03147

• Like 1