Sign in to follow this  
Arkayn

Basing Sand

Hey all, I'm trying to decide on some sand for basing my Warhammer 40k Orks onto. Was wondering what brand/type everyone uses (regular play sand, etc). Any help would be appreciated, as I would like to get this soon, so I can start working on more minis.

If I want a quick basing of sand, I get the fine sand from Michaels and mix in some larger grains that I buy from Woodland Scenics. I think that by adding different sized material randomly to the base, it gives a lot more interest to the eye. It costs a little more but once you have it, you will be set for quite a long time (I've been using my mix for over 3 years now).

I also do the same for quick flocking on bases. Get a few colours and grades, mix them up, and you have a more interesting base.

I cast Hirst Arts molds to make terrain. Another trick I do is keep all the plaster flash that comes off and use this in basing my WW2 figures. With a quick wash, it looks like rubble.

Are you going to paint the sand or just use it straight up? If you go with paint I suggest using pumice gel as it doesn't flake off like regular sand. if you plan to just stick to sand, I will agree with the above posters.

I use play sand. It's cheap and easy to find, and after you fill a small container for basing you have lots left to put on the front steps in winter. It's fine enough to make a nice base, but it has coarse bits in it if you want to add 'rocks'. And it's usually washed, unlike sand you might get off the street which can have oil or other chemicals in it.

I'm fortunate enough to live near a beach, so just use beach sand. It's free and comes in a variety of grain sizes, and one large margarine tub lasts me several years!

Arkayn, here's my experiences. I picked up some "fine" sand from the craft store (Michael's), and the grains turned out to be way too large. Dirt works fine. I bought a product from Woodland Scenics last week called "Blended turf". This stuff looks pretty good--it's a mix of browns, yellows, and some orange. It gives the grey-brown effect that I was trying to get from the sand. Recommended. If you PM me I can maybe mail you some--they sell them not by grams, but by lifetime supply.

I'll put in another vote for pumice paste! It's easy to work with, fine enough to look good, and paints beautifully. I've used it as sand, as dirt, as moss on rocks...Vallejo makes a nice one, but Liquitex is a little more widely available in art supply stores and does a nice job, too. The Liquitex is great, because you can mix paint into it and lay it down already colored, so you only have to hit it with one or two drybrushed highlights and it'll look pretty snappy.

I actually use a mix of different sizes of Woodland Scenics model railroad balast (the gravel they use on tracks) to get the texture I want for ground cover. I seldom use actual sand, inless I want a particularly smooth surface effect. When I do use sand, I use a bag of craft sand I piked up at Michael's. I figure given my limited usage, the 1# bag should last me most of my life.

Another idea is using Miliput (red label) and the sponge insert you get when you buy a mini. Mix the miliput up, spread it out where you want the sand and dab the spongy thing onto the miliput and the texture provides a nice sand look. Also try different foam types for different results. It will give similar results to the pumice paste that Sanael mentioned.

I

Another idea is using Miliput (red label) and the sponge insert you get when you buy a mini. Mix the miliput up, spread it out where you want the sand and dab the spongy thing onto the miliput and the texture provides a nice sand look. Also try different foam types for different results. It will give similar results to the pumice paste that Sanael mentioned.

I

I do something similar to this, but use GS and then dab it using 100 grit sand paper to add texture.