Patience

Shogan

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had a few very frustrating moments with miniatures. The only two times I've been tempted to throw a mini away were when I dropped a finished miniature twice in two days. Both times I did significant damage to the mini and had to go back and touch up. The other was a recent mini with challenging and small eyes.

There have been times when I wanted to smash them with a hammer! Most of the time I find that if I put them in the punishment box for a few days they don't seem as bad when I come back to them. If they do, its back to the punishment box!. Repeat that a few times then move to step two -- to strip or not to strip. Also called golag or restart....

The only time I've ever actually tossed one out was when I'd just finished a fairly large dragon and then dropped it - it shattered. Like a coffee mug. Not just broke apart, but all the major pieces were snapped as well. Rather than screaming and tearing my hair out or throwing a fit and gnawing on furniture, I calmly got the garbage can, picked up every last piece, tied the bag off and put it out by the curb. Then I repressed the memory of the entire incident for several years. ::P:

Well, okay, there have been a few curiosity/impulse purchases where I've gotten it out of the package, taken a good look at it, said eehhh... and just decided that there was absolutely no reason for me to own it any longer. But I rarely ever throw anything I'm painting, nevermind throw it away.

If I get frustrated and give up on something, vowing never to paint it at all, or if I break something beyond repair, I usually vent my frustration by taking my tools to it and hacking it up for bitz. I also one time vented my ire by using a battleaxe to achieve said dismemberment. It was very satisfying.

I've also done this with minis I bought for no other reason than that I liked one or two particular things about the mini and hated the rest of it so I bring it home and carve off all the useful details before discarding the leftover anatomical parts. I built an entire guy once out of spare parts glued together - boots, greaves, pants, armor, sleeves, bracers, cloak, helmet, face, weapons, all came from different minis.

Nope. Not even once have I thrown a mini, across the room or in the trash. Painting minis is my hobby I do for FUN. When I am painting on a mini and at the very second it stops being fun, I put it down and go do something else. I like challenging myself to better my skills, but I don't do that unless I am in the proper mind set. If I have had a really frustrating day at work, It's probably not a good idea to sit down with a mini and push your skills to the limit. I find that when I am in that "short on patience attitude", I am better off cleaning a model, or priming it, or getting the base colors on, ect... More than once, I have been very happy and pleased with a paint job on a mini until I look at photos of it. That's a great way to eat a big 'ol piece of humble pie.