Campfire--sculpted by me!

I had the idea for this when our DM in one of our Pathfinder games had to draw campfires onto her map. She's a great artist and they looked really cool, but since jumping over a campfire can actually be a risk for a character (hence the usual requirement of a jump check to make it) I decided to give sculpting a shot and make my own from Green Stuff. The actual sculpting only took about an hour total and after reading a tutorial from Hot Lead on how to paint fire realistically (not sure what the link is or was anymore, sorry) I gave that a shot. The paintjob only took an hour also and was done with a lot of wet blending technique learned on the fly. The mini has a yellow wash that doesn't look entirely right in the pics due to my selection of paints only being hobby paints so far (Folkart, Plaid and Apple Barrel brands which I have used thusfar on all my minis.) The fire also has some orange and yellow highlights that make the overall piece look better in hand than in pics. Sorry but my photo-fu is not so strong, yet. All told the mini is about 2hrs worth of actual work. C&C welcome! Also sorry for the massive pics once again. Any advice you guys have on reducing their size for future posts would be great!! post-7528-0-41895900-1333901339_thumb.jpgpost-7528-0-04503800-1333901360_thumb.jpgpost-7528-0-33131100-1333901384_thumb.jpgpost-7528-0-85540200-1333901406_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice and a great piece for a gaming table.

Just a suggestion but next time try finding some real rocks, well pebbles, as I think it would make something like this really stand out. Also using some small dry twigs as tinder can add some realism as well.

I was very pleased with how my first attempt at OSL came out. It's not spectacular but far better than I thought I could do. Thank you all. Adrift you can definitely steal the idea! I agree with using the pebbles and some twigs though. This wasn't hard either I just made a ball of green stuff and stuck it to a penny and started twisting it, then once you have the basic shape down you want to ad a few little twists which you can pull away from the green stuff you twisted for the main fire. The little twists can go in almost any direction you want, but should sort of follow the direction you twisted the fire. And the next key that I picked up from the tutorial I read is that fire starts white and goes up through yellow to red-orange. The white spots you see at the top of the flames in a real fire come from the combustible material (wood bits) being sucked up by the heat and burning once they reach an appropriate air-heat spot. Hope that bit of info helps!