Buy direct from Reaper or local Hobby/game shop?

warped72

I am not sure how much you game at your local game store, but if you do not buy from your local game store you will not HAVE a local game store. I know most distributors carry Reaper so it should not be an issue. Now I will be the first to admit looking thorugh the shelves of the minis is the coolest part of mini shopping, and the instant gratification is wonderful, however not every game store can afford to carry the entire stock.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had come onto the forum to post much the same thing as has been said here.

I live in Australia and only discover reaper last year I have only seen local stores stock GW. Anyway I was surprised to find my now local store listed as a stocker on the reaper web site, so I venture in and have a look. Looking around I could only see gw then I notice that the person looking after the shop is one of the 2 people playing card (one of the benefits of working in a games shop ok) I ask about reaper mini’s. I get told they are over in the other corner, I head over and behind the drinks fringe there is a rack of snack foods and on the same rack they have a hand full of reaper minis. I notice that the prices are about $10 over the price I can get on the web site but I want to support the local store so I pick one up.

At this point I go to pay and have to stand there as the person keeps playing his card game I was left standing there for 5 minutes till he told another person who turned up to sever me (who looked more like a rep in a suit not in the games shop top).

Not happy at all and a shame it is the only games store in town and I personally think it is a shame after the above and beyond I have expedients dealing direct with reaper

Like others I try to support my FLGS whenever possible (espeically if they have in-store gaming facilities) but I have seen, sometimes is just isn't possible. I've had similar problems as HardDRollins, where the store stock was overpriced, or the stock was pitiful, or the owners were reluctant to special order anything, or they just seemed like they didn't want your money. With the ease of on-line ordering and 2-day delivery these days, I just won't put up with that anymore.

I buy from both. Most of the gaming stores in my area are pretty Warhammer-centric and carry very little Reaper. There is a comic shop close to my work that sells quite a bit of Reaper and I get a lot from there. But sometimes, the shops don't have what I am looking for so I will order directly

I agree with Beowolfhunter that we should support the stores we play in. Consider buying things from the store as a form of rent. However, the store has to also be practical in that they keep competative with the prices we are all now able to get on the internet. I don't expect super discounts like some sites offer - I'd be happy if they maintain MSRP with the occasional sale. If a store can do that, then I will deal with them.

With some companies, like Reaper, there is no reason to go through a distributor. Most of the time, the items will cost the store more and you run the risk of them not having things in stock. Reaper makes their metal figs on site so you don't have that issue. Even if the price is the same from the distributor as it is from Reaper, by going directly to Reaper, you allow them to make a better margin and make that company stronger.

After a gaming company gets to a certain product line size, the use of a distributor becomes less effective as they can't carry everything in sufficient quantities without hampering their cash flow. If a store is really serious in supporting the Reaper line, then they will go directly to the source.

I like game stores. When I'm in one, I look for something to buy. And I'm willing to pay a bit extra for the convenience of local purchase. I'm not willing to pay extra, wait longer, and have a lower chance of actually getting what I want.

As far as who is responsible for unfulfilled orders, I'd say less than 10% of the time is it the manufacturer; the vast majority of the time it's either a store who didn't order (or who had credit problems with the distributor) or a distributor in the same situation. Manufacturers are often bad about predicting release dates or reprint dates, but they tend to be pretty good about telling you when something is out of stock.

Luckily for those of us that live in (or around) the Denton area, we can go visit the Reaper store itself. They are slightly further out of town then the other two or three but with Reaper so close it's worth the extra ten minutes.

I've had a few cases where a mini isn't on the sales floor, only to have the workers hurry into the factory and come back with one.

However, before living here all my mini needs were satisfied by the online ordering process.

I started this forum couple days ago thanks for all the responds, I'm still waiting for the miniatures been over two weeks now, there excuse, forgot to order it, told me sometime these week, to bad just ordered that new paint line for DP9, DIRECTLY from Reaper should be here Monday or Tuesday next, oh ya. Wish I lived close to the Reaper store, if it were two hours away I would drive there just to look drull over all the kool mini's, oh well I live in Utah, long ways away, need to come to your Reaper con one of these days

I deal with both.

I am a big believer in brick and mortar stores, simply because while I CAN order online, I also enjoy the convenience and simple pleasure of going and wandering around the local game shops. You meet people, you see things you didn't know existed, and it's a neat way to socialize and exchange ideas. There is quite the local geek underground, and I'm glad to have it.

But FLGS are the hub of any local gaming scene. Support them, or lose them AND the real-life social networks they support.

That said, I also like ordering from Reaper when my FLGS can't or won't carry specific figures, or when they're sold out. My favorite local game store can't keep mouselings in stock. Chicks dig mouselings. Pay attention, there, Gene.

Personally my FLGS is a bit of a rip off. I go there to fulfill my dirty GW addiction and to grab the odd Reaper paint when I need it NOW, but the prices keep me out of the store most times. Luckily they are pretty much the only gaming store (with 3+ locations) in a LARGE town and right by the college. They won't be going out of business anytime soon.

I will happily make the 1.5 hour trip to Reaper when I need to grab a good deal of mini's and such. Plus its fun to look around. My FLGS doesn't carry near the ammount of board games and MTG cards that Reaper always has on hand. If I am ordering an odd mini the FLGS doesn't have in stock I just get it online from Reaper and have it in a 2-3 days.

Ultimately it comes down to "your mileage may vary". I think the bottom line is you need to gauge your situation with your (F)LGS. A good store wants your business and will make the effort to keep it and make you happy (within reason) so you keep coming back. Those are the stores we need to support. A bad store continually comes up with excuses. When my local FLGS closed you can't even imagine the huge hole it left in the gaming community (largely because it was unexpected). Groups are still scrambling for playing space and trying to stay together. I realize that an FLGS is the hub of the local gaming social network especially one that provides gaming space and when you lose that store the loss of that hub is huge. So if you depend on your local (F)LGS for your social interaction and gaming space then you should support it. Ordering online is fine but if you can purchase it through your store you should. My store never minded if you ordered stuff that they couldn't or wasn't practical for them to carry, because we still came to his store and made regular purchases.

• Like 1

And to re-iterate, if your FLGS is having a hard time getting stock, they can contact us directly.

To me, that is a MUCH preferable option to a customer buying direct from us - it helps keep the community going and your FLGS in business. Sure, I want to sell you a mini, but I want a healthy community and hobby first and foremost. The healthier the system that supports our hobby is, the better for all of us that paint, collect, and game!

If they have it, or are willing/able to get it quickly, I'd say get it from your FLGS. It's not a hard and fast rule for me, but I try to make sure that my FLGS gets at least a portion of my miniature budget. I get most of my reaper from a FLGS, but I've ordered direct for special deals and sales before.

You really don't want to be in the position of wishing you'd bought more from your FLGS after they go out of business.

• Like 1

Reaper doesn't discount as they don't want to undermine the stores that sell their product.

For me it's online stores & Reaper, no local FLGS here.

I will admit the online stores are nice as most of them offer a percentage off + free shipping (depending on the store), which for me helps offset the in hand buying experience you get at LGS but I have no qualms shopping with Reaper. Fast, efficient service + occasionally get scribbles from people that I know at Reaper. What more could you ask for.