DVD's

Shogan

Ive noticed a few people mentioning painting DVD's and I was wondering what DVD's you were talking about. I have picked up Hot Lead which I love but I would really like to get my hands on a few others. Are there any recommendations? I can continue to search youtube but I dont always know what Im going to get there. I would love to just have really clear steps and techniques.

Thanks,

Shogan

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Dark Sword Miniatures one with Anne Foerster and Jen Haley is a great one. I would highly recommend it - it goes from basic to advanced, and even has a section on color theory - something I've not seen in any other video so far.

The Miniature Mentor ones aren't bad, as well. The style is a bit different - the main video presents a slightly more European style of painting, which is almost like painting with washes. Very thin, multiple layers - but the product looks very good.

So, I would check those out and see if either would suit you.

My 2 yen,

Akiosama

I have a lot of mini painting DVDs. For basics, I recommend Hot Lead and the Dark Sword Minatures with Jen Haley and Anne. For more detailed ones, the Jen Haley Cool Mini or Not is decent. The Minature Mentor ones are of varying quality, but as Michael said the first one is best for basics. The basing one is great as is the conversion one. After that, they all blend together.

If you have specific questions about others, I can probably answer them as I said, I have a lot of them.

Thanks guys! We have ordered the Dark Sword DVD with Jen and Anne and we already have and love the Hot Lead DVD. I think we also plan to pick up the DVD that GW just put out with thier new line of paints.

I really found the Dark Sword video engaging and learned a lot from watching both Jen and Anne. It is the main reason I wanted to come to ReaperCon to take Anne's full colour theory course.

I know -- I wish I could come for that course. ReaperCon should set up a camera and record Anne's full class. I would gladly pay for DVD or download. Hey -- maybe Anne could stream it!

I've enjoyed both Hot Lead and Masterworks Miniature Painting with Jen and Anne (Dark Sword). While they cover some of the same things, they each offer something unique. For sheer quantity of information, I believe Hot Lead has the edge, but they both cover a lot of territory.

The interactive nature of the Dark Sword videos is very cool, though, and there is additional entertainment as well as instructional value there. If I'm tired when I watch a video, the Dark Sword is more likely to keep me from losing track of what I'm watching.

While I haven't watched it, another DVD that receives high praise is Miniature Painting with Jeremie Bonamant Teboul. I've heard it covers more advanced painting. It's been difficult to locate for some time, but I found one vendor in the USA who has carried it recently, AGPminis.com. I just did a search on his site, and he appears to have some, but it's hard to say how often he'll restock. I've seen some come up on eBay once in a while, too.