Shiny paint

Enchantra

I know extender can cause paint to be shiny. Recently I started using flow aid in some of my paints to help it coat more evenly, and it is a blessing for that. But I noticed that when the paint dries, it looks as if it was a gloss paint. I know spraying dullcote over it or applying matte varnish will take care of the shiny problem, but is there anything I can do to stop this problem? Is flow aid known for this sort of thing?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Enchantra, are you using the flow aid straight from the bottle or mixing it with water first? I use flow aid in all my paint along with extender and water. While it becomes a *tad* bit shiny, it isn't awful. And DullCote always takes care of it.

Either way, use Dullcote. Not only does it dull the shines, it protects the mini from both abuse and mistakes. ::D:

Enchantra, are you using the flow aid straight from the bottle or mixing it with water first? I use flow aid in all my paint along with extender and water. While it becomes a *tad* bit shiny, it isn't awful. And DullCote always takes care of it.

Either way, use Dullcote. Not only does it dull the shines, it protects the mini from both abuse and mistakes. ::D:

I'm using it straight from the bottle, a couple drops of flow aid and a couple drops of extender and several drops of paint all mixed together.

I'm using it straight from the bottle, a couple drops of flow aid and a couple drops of extender and several drops of paint all mixed together.

OK. That could be why you're seeing more shine than I do.

You may want to try adding some water to your solution. In fact, I recommend mixing up a batch of painting solution and keeping it on hand to add to your paint on your palette as you go rather than mixing it straight into the bottle of paint. You'll be able to control your thinning more this way and you won't have a bottle of paint sitting open and drying as you paint.

I use Paintrix's recipe... 25% Extender, 25% Flow Aid, 50% water and mix in anywhere between 3-4 parts up to 12 parts per one part paint, depending on what I'm painting at the time.

I also use Anne's recipe from time to time but have trouble finding Plaid Extender so don't have sufficient experience with it yet.

At any rate, give one of those a shot. You may be happier.

What brand extender and flow aid are you using?

Liquidex sells a whole bunch of different extenders, both liquid and gel. Some of them are gloss extenders. I almost bought one because it didn't say gloss on the front. I found it in the small print on the back.

I use Liquidex Matte liquid extender and W&N flow aid. I've never really noticed a gloss problem. I agree Dull Cote should solve the problem. I also use mostly Vallejo paint. Perhaps your extender and flow aid mix different with Reaper and other brands.

DANGER! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

Do NOT use Ceramcoat Flow Aid. It may look dry, but actually takes months to 'evaporate'. Once sealed, about 1-3 months later you'll notice fogging as the paint layer continues to dry, and actually pulls away from the sealer overcoat! This will mainly happen in crevices and cracks where washes build up, and thus shrink the most.

I ruined about 6 minis using Ceramcoat color float / flow aid, at 'sane' concentrations. This happened to all of them. Any other extender or color float I've used does not have this problem.

You can 'repair' the figures by poking needle holes through the overcoat, and then applying a mix of rubbing alcohol and Future, which gets into all the nooks and crannies and fills in the gaps. It may take several applications over several days.

Do NOT use Ceramcoat Flow Aid. It may look dry, but actually takes months to 'evaporate'. Once sealed, about 1-3 months later you'll notice fogging as the paint layer continues to dry, and actually pulls away from the sealer overcoat! This will mainly happen in crevices and cracks where washes build up, and thus shrink the most.

I've been using their extender or Folk Art extender for ages and never seen that problem. I also let my minis sometimes sit for several days before spray sealing them so they have ample time to dry.