The Newb Guide to ReaperCon or ReaperCon 101?

warhorseminis

Just one question... at with time ReaperCon starts at Thursday? I know the first class happens at noon, but the rest of the Con will be already running at the morning?

Since almost all my time during the con was filled with classes, I thought maybe Thursday morning could be a good time to check if my scrap miniatures worth something at the metal trading or to take the tour into Reaper. (I heard you can see the miniatures been casting, I would love to see this)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dressing for the event, my lessons learned.

I believe closed toe shoes were required for the tours since casting is part of the process but I could be mistaken. I haven't taken a tour in a few years and am looking forward to one this year.

I have the standard attire of jeans, tennis shoes and t-shirt. I add a long sleeved shirt I can wear as a light jacket if needed since the factory temperature is the comfort level. I also have a soft attache case rather than a backpack since I can fit what I need and it isn't as bulky.

Thursday tends to be a bit frantic on the Reaper side as they get all the last minute things done as well as dealing with the hoards of attendees. No slur intended on Reaper. It's just a lotta stuff to get ready and a lotta people to manage. Go with the flow and don't be afraid to ask the other attendees what's going on. The experienced folks can help you figure out a plan of action.

My personal one is to boneyard shop on Thursday (I already have my trade in slips and nothing much to trade back) and then ransack the trade in table periodically during the con. I want my shopping out of the way early so I can go back for all the things I forgot or were much cooler than I anticipated.

For the last few years Reaper has kindly set up a shelf unit for people to stash their stuff during the day. So you could go shopping and leave the box of goodies on the shelf if you don't have a vehicle on site. It helps for storing army transports and the like. It's highly appreciated.

Don't be afraid to talk to people even if you don't know them. Pretty much everyone there is friendly and helpful. I've made a number of new friends there. If your forum name doesn't make it onto your name badge a Sharpie will fix that right up. Just make sure you spell it correctly, right Haldek? Forum names are far more recognizable.

Finally, don't be shy. Don't be overwhelmed by the number of attendees or the names of some of the people there. Everyone has made the pilgrimage for the same reason. Reaper tends to bring out the best in people and it's always a thrill to be part of that kind of energy.

• Like 1

My personal one is to boneyard shop on Thursday (I already have my trade in slips and nothing much to trade back) and then ransack the trade in table periodically during the con. I want my shopping out of the way early so I can go back for all the things I forgot or were much cooler than I anticipated.

This is also good if they happen to be missing one (or more) of the parts for a multi-part model you want. You can request that they cast the missing piece(s). The earlier you do this in the convention, the better chance it has of being done by the end.

~v

• Like 1

Yup, nothing like waiting for a head for a mini, ha ha.

Also good time to say thanks to the casters during RCon. I'm not sure what the regular casting schedule is but you guys have made sure I've been taken care of every year that I'm shopped in the Boneyard.

In case anyone missed it, the official schedule has been posted. Still can't find further class descriptions though...

Oh well, looking forward to my 2nd trip to Reapercon anyway!

Class descriptions in book form is part of my current project, when I'm done checking the forum for unanswered questions (I should look in here more often...)

WarhorseMinis/Kath - sorry about the e-mail confusion. Shannon handles event and con support for outside conventions trying to get us to attend/sponsor/assist with events, as well as coordinating and organizing our on-the-road efforts ad Origins, PAX, PaizoCon, etc. Because ReaperCon is a very different show for us than any of the others, and because the other shows all fall in odd patterns around ReaperCon, we generally take ReaperCon from her and let her focus on the ones that involve travel and such. For most queries related to ReaperCon, myself ([email protected]) or Ron ([email protected]) are usually the right options.