Hello, I am new to warlord.

My rulebook should be in this week so I can get started.

I have a few questions for you. Do you not get the data cards with the minis anymore?

Also did reaper change the bases?

How many points / models can I use to get started as I need two small forces.

Thanks

Dan

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dan.

By no means am I an expert at the game but I'd be happy to share what my group did when we got in the game.

No, there are no data cards with the minis. However, you can print out data cards using the tools at Reapergames.com. What I do is print out the data info with the pictures and laminate them to index cards. Now, I can use a dry erase marker to mark off damage as the game progresses.

My gaming group starting doing 500 point games. Depending on the faction, the number of models will vary. You can always proxy other miniatures as you learn the game and figure out which ones you like best. After that, you can buy all the Reaper figs.

I hope this helped.

No, the models are no longer packaged with datacards. However, all of the datacards can be found at http://www.reapergames.com/ for free.

No, the bases have not changed (with one or two exceptions; the Griffon is now on a 40mm square base instead of a 50mm square base).

You can play at any point size. The game is designed to play at 1000 points, but you can easily get the feel of the game from a 300-500 point warband.

~v

Depends on what I'm trying to achieve with the troop. Sometimes I will use all the same type of soldier (sometimes matching the seargent as well - Chhaya and Spikeshells, for example), but other times I'll mix troops to take advantage of combined arms (say, Corvus, 4 O'lord warriors, a spearman, and crossbowman). In the former example, I've dedicated that troop to a purpose - acting as a picket line to slow the enemy down. In the latter, the troop is built to take advantage of Support and combined arms, as well as the O'lord shield wall FA and the Ranked ability of the X-bow. With mixing soldiers, this troop has become an all-purpose tool that can be adapted to nearly any combat situation.

~v

Edited by Shakandara

We kept the build rules fairly easy:

1. Leaders can only lead troops that are the same or less cost than themselves. This rule only applies to troops, not elites.

2. If your army has more than 2 leader led troops then one of those troops must be led by a captain or higher rank officer.

3. You cannot have more solos than you have leaders.

4. There can ever only be one Warlord ranked model in an army build.

That's about it.

As far as mix and match.. well, like Vince said, it really comes down to what you want that troop to do. But, yes you are allowed to mix and match. And on top of that, there are no cohesion rules so they do not have to stay packed together in a mob on the table.. Each model acts individually and can do whatever it needs to do on its own. Just like the mix and match part, sometimes it will be beneficial to keep them in tight formation, and other times it will behoove you more to spread them all across the table accomplishing separate goals.

As far as small sided games go, again as Vince said, the game was most heavily playtested for 1000 points, but it works at other levels just fine with a few standouts... Special abilities like Damage Reduction, Displacement, and Tough and other abilities that are designed to help keep a model alive longer tend to have greater return on points spent in smaller games just by nature of what they do.

I GOT MY RULEBOOK IN THE MAIL TODAY! Now I must sit down and read it.

I have these minis to get started with.

Necropolis - 298 points

Troop 1

Sir Azarphan, Death Knight

Skeletal Archer x 3

Skeletal Swordman x 3

Troop 2

Sir Athak, Crimson Knight

Burrowing Zombie x 3

Should I add a solo or a monster?

Thanks

Dan

Use the army creator feature over on www.reapergames.com to play around with your lists and see how you can synergize your army. But, based on your current list, you have two good leaders grouped with lesser soldiers. Good for their purpose, but lesser soldiers all the same. So, I would suggest adding some power to your current troops rather than adding adding more troops. Maybe a spellcaster, maybe a melee hero or just some bigger soldiers.

Thanks for the input guys!!! Here is what I have painted for my Necropolis troops.

Ill try to post pictures in the next few days.

Troop 1

Sir Azarphan, Death Knight

Skeletal Archer x 4

Skeletal Swordman x 4

Troop 2

Sir Athak, Crimson Knight

Burrowing Zombie x 3

Troop 3

Grave Horror