Sign in to follow this  
joshuaslater

Reven vs. Dwarves.

I threw down with a friend just last night in a game of Warlord on my girlfriend's dining room table. I had no terrain, wound counters, just some models, a tape measure, and the rulebook. We hadn't played in years since the first edition, and wanted to kick the tires.

The basil plant from my girl was the only terrain. I played the Reven. I had an Ettin Captain, Nor'okk, with a bunch of lesser Orcs, and two elites, one being a Bull Orc Berserker, and a Bugbear bully. My other troop was the hill giant, proxied with Teddy Knuckles from Fenris games.

Dalton played the Dwarves. He had three troops, with a mix of crossbows, halbediers, and regular grunts. He also brought the female sniper with her crossbow, and Snorri Oathbreaker with his abilities.

Some truly crappy pics:

Warlord001.jpg

Warlord002.jpg

Warlord003.jpg

Warlord005.jpg The Dwarves had only a few crossbows left and maybe a halbedier. It was a close match and left me drawing up army lists over and over. I have to finish painting what I've got first, but I will amass a horde of Reven to beat those pesky Dwarves.

Hey now....

You got me all into the post with your build up.. You had some pictures (good or bad it still helps) and then you just gave the inferred result.....

Man, I need some guts to the story...

Who were the standout models good or bad for the match? Any epic rolls out of no where (like a crossbow hitting the giant in melee, etc...)?

Any beat downs?

But, one thing I can very much relate to.. I could spend hours putting together army lists.... hey wait a minute... I DO do that... :)

With not much terrain, the ranged component in the dwarven army was a huge edge. With more typical terrain, the battle would have been much closer. Good looking Basil, btw. :;):

~v

My bad!! I posted more of the report on frothers with some adult language inappropriate for this forum, so I'll give you some juicy details. Epic rolls. Teddy Knuckles the Hill Giant made FOUR tough rolls in the game to keep beating up the Dwarves. He took out the sniper girl even as she shot him in CC, and the other female and some grunts before the crossbows took him down.

The reason for no terrain was that we played at my girlfriends' house, and all of our terrain is elsewhere. The true gauge of a game is setting up on a kitchen or dining room table with no terrain and just pushing the models and throwing the dice.

Dalton and I have played Chronopia together for over ten years from this same initial kickoff. Warlord has earned our respect after an eight year hiatus. We jumped in for the first edition and it didn't grab us like this edition.

My half painted and unbased models will get some more love and then the terrain will come out. Warlord will never be the same.

I might have read that wrong but couple of things i saw:

1. "sniper girl shot him in CC" : you cannot do a ranged combat attack against a model in BTB (unless you have SA blow throw)

2. And along the same lines if a model could make a ranged combat in CC, ranged combat does not provoke melee defensive strikes, it only provokes defensive ranged attacks if the target model has a ranged attack.

Otherwise, love that he made 4 tough rolls. Those are the rolls that are spoken of for long periods of time.

Maybe we played her special ability wrong, as we were under the impression that she could pull off the RAV in base to base with the giant.

Relearning the game after eight years is going to be worth the effort.

I'll repeat that Warlord passed the no terrain table test. Even with the missile advantage, the game wasn't a wash out for me, and it was no distraction worrying about movement modifiers, cover bonuses, etc., when we're still learning the special abilities.

I'm extraordinarily impressed with the balance of the game and all that's gone into it.

IF he plays the runts again, play Teddy Knuckles as Nhoolyan and have some fun running those crossbows and halberds over.

Sound advice, and it's tempting, but I'm really trying to play just what I have painted enough for the three color rule, and would rather wait, budget for, and buy, the trampling beastie.

The Dwarves we've got were painted by a mutual friend to a beautiful standard, so I'm not wanting to insult them!! Just beat'em.